Getting permission to fossick in SA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi team

I'm about to embark on my first road trip to see if I can find some gold. At least, it's in it's advanced planning stages! My area if interest is shown in the map attached.

I've searched the SA government website high and low to try and locate existing lease information - in particular who to contact for access permission...

Can anyone help me please? I'm at a real loss

Cheers

Gordon

1559259559_map.jpg

Use the SARIG website to see what claims are out that way, active or historical.
Also turn on the layer for "gold" mineral resource and it will bring up all the know fields and deposits for this state

This needs to be confirmed; but as I understand it.

Prospecting Leases in S.A. are almost impossible to detect on. Firstly if it's active, I doubt it. Secondly, many are on private property or pastoral lease, so apart from the lease holders permission if active, you would need the land owner/lease holders permission to enter the land.

Part of the area you show in your map is National Park - Forget these areas altogether, you can't detect there. :)

That's why most S. Aussies head West, to VIC or to Tibooburra in N.S.W.

Even there you need to check the rules in each state...... i.e in VIC Miners Rights (small fee for 10 years) allows you to prospect in many crown land areas, being, all state forest and designated areas in National Parks or State Parks. M Rights also transfers ownership of any gold found from the Crown to you and allows you to sell it for gain.

In S.A. we are called fossickers, any gold found is still owned by the Crown (State), but you are allowed to keep it for intrinsic value as a collectors item, but NOT allowed to sell it.

Latest posts