Geological Maps - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am aware that CZL on a geology map is laterite but I have come across CZL over AB. What does the AB stand for and is this ground good to detect?

Most likely refers to a Group or Formation locally.
"Geologists place a known sequence or layers of different rock units found in the same area together and call the combined layers 'groups'. Groups are divided into formations and sometimes formations are further divided into members or units."
Source : An Introduction to Geological Maps - Geoscience Australia
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.ga.gov.au/webtemp/image_cache/GA14981.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjrj5jOr_3cAhVGXrwKHbONAt8QFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1ic8FY0hV6wUTSbJk6zwpn
Most maps should have a key with them? Whether it's a good area to detect would depend on local geology & that group/formation being a known detectable gold source.

shakergt said:
I am aware that CZL on a geology map is laterite but I have come across CZL over AB. What does the AB stand for and is this ground good to detect?
Doesn't the map have a legend? CZL would stand for Cenozoic laterite, but AB could be many things as such usage is not completely standardized (especially in the past).

Thats actually a complex question. A is Archean which is the correct geological age for WA gold

AB might simply indicate Archean Bedrock which can be good for gold. Think of the rocks as a part of the recipe for locating gold, rocks are not the answer in the same way that Flour is not the answer to how do we bake a cake

The recipe is complex and different for different regions.

A is probably Archaean but I doubt that AB means Archean bedrock (ie all Archean rocks would be bedrock). As for gold, and given that nearly all bedrock ion the Eastern Goldfields is Archean, your question could be re-phrased as "Are all areas with bedrock good for finding gold". Rather broad, and gold is not confined to bedrock but also common in overlying laterite. You need some other factor to zero in on good gold areas.

Ab Basalt and basaltic schist: Locally amygdaloidal and plagioclase-phyric: pillows and hyaloclastite preserved locally

If you download Geomap WA and then download and open the geo map of the area are looking at on Tengraph then you can check the legend to see what the map is indicating

Thats what I do

Think BB nailed it. :Y:

I had a look at Geoview & the area I zoomed in on came up with these too:
A-b-PRK; Rocklea Inlier greenstones; Basaltic and andesitic flows, and associated volcaniclastic rocks; metamorphosed
A-b-PYV; Sylvania Inlier greenstones; Mafic volcanic rocks; metamorphosed
A-b-PWY; Wyloo Inlier greenstones; Basaltic and andesitic flows, and associated volcaniclastic rocks; metamorphosed
That's what I was thinking with the localised formations/groups. A NSW Geo map I looked at had used lettering aa, aab, aam etc. in the key/legend for localised formations/groups.

A= Archaean
b= Basalt, includes doleritic layers and lenses
is it good for gold? well your in the greenstone, thats a start:cool:

spoon said:
A= Archaean

Thank you spoon. That is what I was after. For some reason I am not able to find a map legend for geology view in tengraph. From what you are saying I take it the ground I'm looking at is laterite over greenstone = possible gold

shakergt said:
spoon said:
A= Archaean

Thank you spoon. That is what I was after. For some reason I am not able to find a map legend for geology view in tengraph. From what you are saying I take it the ground I'm looking at is laterite over greenstone = possible gold

Finding the Legend in Tengraph/Geoview is much like finding gold.... tedious 8)
When I found a help article, it outlined a 9 step process to obtain a legend specific to the map area wanted.
This forum is awesome for the help & knowledge within. Thanks from me too fellas :Y:

shakergt said:
spoon said:
A= Archaean

aah shakergt i`d love to tell you i`m top of the wozza at something but, i like to have hardcopy maps as well as tengraph and geomaps.
i looked up the legend on my kalgoorlie geological survey map and it gave up the info. i think they are a great source of info,a great addition as well as the tech side.
i believe your on the right track, and i agree with other posters that there are more layers of info you can acquire to make better informed choices.
the more layers the better chance of success. :cool:

the first pic is of the geological map, the second is the geological maps in there geo names so you can grab a map for the area you are looking into.

1534844181_20180821_171856_2.jpg

1534844208_20180821_171947_2.jpg

1534844233_20180821_172232_2.jpg

available at the mines dept and detect shops. mines dept will have all of the maps in stock.
i hope this helps :cool:

mbasko said:
Think BB nailed it. :Y:

I had a look at Geoview & the area I zoomed in on came up with these too:
A-b-PRK; Rocklea Inlier greenstones; Basaltic and andesitic flows, and associated volcaniclastic rocks; metamorphosed
A-b-PYV; Sylvania Inlier greenstones; Mafic volcanic rocks; metamorphosed
A-b-PWY; Wyloo Inlier greenstones; Basaltic and andesitic flows, and associated volcaniclastic rocks; metamorphosed
That's what I was thinking with the localised formations/groups. A NSW Geo map I looked at had used lettering aa, aab, aam etc. in the key/legend for localised formations/groups.
Yes, but a is probably not Archean in NSW - unfortunately there is not complete standardisation,

shakergt said:
spoon said:
A= Archaean

Yes, I agree - it narrows it down a bit. If the area is a past gold-producer as well, you are in a good place. There is hardly any gold at all in granite in WA, so avoid granite areas.

Latest posts