Geodes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've decided to start a new topic about geodes I've tried to post a new pic of a beauty polished and everything ill post a pic as soon as I find out how.

Palmer :p

1403429918_dewdiamond_geode.jpg

1403430462_amethyst_geode.jpg

1403430487_amethyst_goede_2.jpg

Finally found how to upload a pic thanks for the link nugget

Holy smoke. That is awesome. :D :eek:

Love to find something like that!

Love to know what I'm looking for.

silver said:
I've heard about how they find them with a hammer !

Well the process in you go to a geode quarry or a place well know for geodes, and it depends on what environment your digging in ether dirt or rock if rock you use a pick axe but you can also use it for dirt but a shovel is better. and in the rock you lock for a very crumbly and then when you dig you should find a different coloured rock and thats a geode.

Thanks guys! I found them in America near Chicago, Illinois in a small town in keoke and the amethyst same place but north hamilton.

there is a place out back of barrington that is said to have geodes up to 40kgs.. I have a paper someplace that mentioned it. I have not seen them myself. :)
Palmer9999 said:
Thanks guys! I found them in America near Chicago, Illinois in a small town in keoke and the amethyst same place but north hamilton.

kawman said:
there is a place out back of barrington that is said to have geodes up to 40kgs.. I have a paper someplace that mentioned it. I have not seen them myself.

Do you know what town barrington is in near. I might pay a vist myself

Palmer9999 said:
kawman said:
there is a place out back of barrington that is said to have geodes up to 40kgs.. I have a paper someplace that mentioned it. I have not seen them myself.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5834 there is a map in this thread of the fossicking area and Google maps will show you where Barring tops is -:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...m2!3m1!1s0x6b74c8ba0191a2e7:0xf0609b573fee640

I will look thru my stuff and see if I can find the paper... :)
Palmer9999 said:
kawman said:

Sandta said:
Thats awesome.. I didnt think these were found in Australia?

Mount Isa in QLD has some nice Amethyst and several other locations. Though you need to dig deep.

Brazil and Uruguay have some of the best Amethyst imo...

A previous reply from Chimpy:

Geology of the Barrington Tops Plateau by Lin Sutherland and Ian Graham. p. 12 states " Along Dog Trap road, 4 km east of Stratford, rhyolites of the Alum Mountain Volcanics contain quartz-lined geodes, some of which contain well-formed flourite crystals. ...... Associated with this are amethyst-lined geodes, agates and thunder eggs. Geodes as large as 40kg in weight have been reported from here."

I had a look in Dog Trap Creek yesterday and found nothing of interest except a shotgun shell and a half eaten calf. The above does say along dog trap road not the creek so I am unsure of a precise location.

I have all but given up on fossicking in the Hunter Valley! I revisited the Kerripit river at Rawdon Vale and found 2 microscopic specs of gold. Digging a crevice on bedrock. Should have spent another 30mins to go to Nundle, although reading the research pack the rivers have been sluiced and dredged many times over the last 150 years. This fossicking is a tough gig to find anything decent.

kawman said:
there is a place out back of barrington that is said to have geodes up to 40kgs.. I have a paper someplace that mentioned it. I have not seen them myself. :)
Palmer9999 said:

that's the one. You cannot get to the creek along dog trap road (now called Bowens road)... you have to go down Whenham-coxs road as the coal mine blocked off the original road..(found on another forum)... :)
Retirement Stone said:
A previous reply from Chimpy:

Geology of the Barrington Tops Plateau by Lin Sutherland and Ian Graham. p. 12 states " Along Dog Trap road, 4 km east of Stratford, rhyolites of the Alum Mountain Volcanics contain quartz-lined geodes, some of which contain well-formed flourite crystals. ...... Associated with this are amethyst-lined geodes, agates and thunder eggs. Geodes as large as 40kg in weight have been reported from here."

I had a look in Dog Trap Creek yesterday and found nothing of interest except a shotgun shell and a half eaten calf. The above does say along dog trap road not the creek so I am unsure of a precise location.

I have all but given up on fossicking in the Hunter Valley! I revisited the Kerripit river at Rawdon Vale and found 2 microscopic specs of gold. Digging a crevice on bedrock. Should have spent another 30mins to go to Nundle, although reading the research pack the rivers have been sluiced and dredged many times over the last 150 years. This fossicking is a tough gig to find anything decent.

kawman said:
Palmer9999 said:

Latest posts