generators and battery chargeing.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2.4 kva gennie, not inverter, and a repco 3 srage battery charger, will this combo charge an agm out bush?

The gennie is a 2400 AEG (think they are the same as the Ryobi ones)

The battery charger is just a repco job, was fairly cheap from memory, 3 stage, around the $100?
Battery is a 105 amph AGM from super cheap auto.

To give you an exact answer

The genny is more than ok to charge your battery.
Your battery is a reasonable size for most camping situations.

Is the charger suitable for an AGM? unknown....
Will it charge to slowly/quickly? depends on size
Will the charger, charge your battery? maybe...
Will it have an affect on battery life? unknown...

For anyone to give you a definitive answer, all data needs to be disclosed. A 3 stage charger (a cheapy at that) maybe ok for a wet cell, not necessarily an AGM. Also it should charge somewhere between 10 and 20% of battery size ie 10 to 20 amps.

Repco 3 stage 7,000mA 12v switchmode.
It also says, for chargeing 12v lead acid batteries only :(
so I guess that means im stuffed for a battery charger atm. I only have a 160w solar panel from e bay, and for the price, I guess dubious quality...$300.
Can I use the the gennie direct to put some charge into the agm, or a charger essential?

cheers dave.

agm must not get hit with full 12volts straight away,need to use controller or charger that starts at around 9volts and builds up to 12 overwise it severly shortens agm lifespan

NO..very bad idea
as its an unregulated supply, you will overcharge the battery and possibly blow it up
you can swap the battery from your car over, if you are camped up for a while.. just dont do any long drives with the agm in the car, as the altenator will probably overcharge it and kill it..that way you can use the car battery for whatever, and still use the Gen and charger to charge it up

Most inverter gennys including Honda and Yamaha, have a 12VDC outlet. That is all it is a 12 volt supply, it is not a charger.

Davent, Your charger is for trickle charging a starter battery and is not suitable for an AGM.

The one I use is http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PROJECTA...811938?hash=item4ad1c33822:g:13sAAOSwNSxVJPb0

At 15 amps it is in the middle of the 10 to 20 % range.

I did a thread on bush power, if you have some time take a look, it explains this and a helluva lot more

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9156&p=1

Thanks condor

starter battery only, no good for a 75amph lead acid deep cycle or hybrid?

Not really, it would take forever to replace the AH.

A 7,000mAH charger is 0.7 amps per hour, which means it would put a maximum of 16.8 AH in 24 hours (ignoring any efficiency loss)

Of more import is that the charging voltage of an AGM is 14.5V, most car battery trickle chargers run at 13.8V the same as an alternator.

Apart from time to charge, it's not charging correctly or at the right voltage = greatly reduced battery life.

=================================
If you have a decent AGM deep cycle battery, then it needs to be charged with a decent charger, be it a solar regulator, DC to DC charger such as the Redarc or a 240VAC charger.

Ok, sorry for this condor, 1 last question, a mate suggested I use an ark2 power box?
Said, this can be charged through the car cig lighter as well, but only 1.5 amp out put? Is that right?
Could I run the gennie, run my fridge off that for a few hours at night, plug the ark pack into the gennie, and use the solar panel during the day?
Basiclly, the only electrical use will be the fridge, a primus 60lt. Blurb says it draws an average of .74 amph when set at 3 deg c.
The longest it will run without any charge will be the drive down, allow 10 hours.
Will have about 2 hours of usable daylight when I set up camp, then the battery will need to power the fridge for another 12 hours or so, so say 24 hours straight use, then still hooked up to the fridge, and solar panel (160w) for the next 8 days or so. I can take the gennie, and give the battery a 4 or 5 hour rest each night I suppose.

If you take the current draw of the fridge (on a cold night like this time of year) it will run about 10AH overnight, but more like 20AH per day.
Then consider that occasional trip depth of draw maximum on the battery should be between 25 and 50%, which on your battery is 26 to 52 AH (approx.) you can run your fridge for 2-3 nights off the battery or a couple of full days. The big thing is putting it back in.

I need to look into the charging of an Arcpac. After all it is a "smart" battery box you put your battery into.

I'll post tomorrow night, gotta go for now.

Edit - Given the cost of an Arkpak, a decent charger is all you need

Can get an arc pac pretty cheap, and dont need to wait for post. $179 for arc pac2 from mate who can get discount. So about the same as a charger, could also get a 2nd battery for around the same, or even a waco battery pack, but they are only 36amph.....so I have options.
thanks for the help.

davent said:
Repco 3 stage 7,000mA 12v switchmode.
It also says, for chargeing 12v lead acid batteries only :(
so I guess that means im stuffed for a battery charger atm. I only have a 160w solar panel from e bay, and for the price, I guess dubious quality...$300.
Can I use the the gennie direct to put some charge into the agm, or a charger essential?

cheers dave.
I have a 150w panel (says max output around 7A) and that easily deals with the draw from my small Engel given a reasonable amount of daylight (rated max 2.5A...probably averages maybe 1Ah)
but I do have a 25A dc/dc charger in the ute if needed!

Davent, An ArcPak730 is the go if your mate can land one for you. Will handle your solar input and properly charge your AGM. Also draws up to 7 A from your cig output and ups the voltage to correctly charge your AGM battery. Just make sure that your cig output is active only when the ignition is on. It also has a 300W inverter for small ac appliances, and a full battery monitor. I reckon it's a beaut for your new trailer.

BigWave said:
Condor, 7,000mAH = 7AH, not 0.7AH, so it's not too far off the mark.

Hey I'm a bit tired, my math is out and you are correct, lol

Re the Arkpak, It's a fair bit of money to spend on gear that is OK but not the best.

I prefer the KISS principle of a good battery and a good charger. If you want 240VAC then use the genny, unless it's a small load for a short time.

Remember, you get what you pay for.....

BigWave said:
Davent, An ArcPak730 is the go if your mate can land one for you. Will handle your solar input and properly charge your AGM. Also draws up to 7 A from your cig output and ups the voltage to correctly charge your AGM battery. Just make sure that your cig output is active only when the ignition is on. It also has a 300W inverter for small ac appliances, and a full battery monitor. I reckon it's a beaut for your new trailer.

This sounds good, guess I could charge it from the gennie to?

Latest posts