Gemstones around Gippsland ( Victoria )

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In quartz reefs if you see red iron oxide clay like in the first pic,it indicates cavities in the reef. I follow the red to the cavities as that's where the conditions are favorable for crystals to grow.

Zan said:
Balx said:
Hate to be a wet blanket but The Tarago is on the exempt list which is a shame because they found plenty of gems in it, especially when they built the dam. Powell Town is probably the best go, i have heard that Toorongo holds gems but I have never had it verified. As you said warragul lapidary club is the go for info. Cheers balx
That's a shame about the tarago seeing as that's the closest river to me, damn! What sort of gems can be found in there out of curiosity? Are they known to be abundant? I hadn't given the tarago much thought as I'd never come across any info on it in regards to gem stones. Might have to give powelltown and the toorongo a shot though! Have you been to powelltown before and had much luck there yourself Balx? Thanks!
Nah Im a gold man but have been slowly getting into gems, Poweltown is well known for its gems.

Britannica Creek at Poweltown was in a gem and treasure mag once I believe. I got a few nice smokeys there but only went there the once.

Balx said:
A bloke told me Quartz Crystal over a foot long have been found out neerim way, That one would have been close?

up in the strathbogies they used to mine 1m long by 2ft wide smokies for radios back in the 1950s clear too

Hunting the yellow said:
Balx said:
A bloke told me Quartz Crystal over a foot long have been found out neerim way, That one would have been close?

up in the strathbogies they used to mine 1m long by 2ft wide smokies for radios back in the 1950s clear too
Wouldnt mind one of those bad boys

Smokeys that size could be worth something, you'd get 5 bucks each for 'em at those weekend markets for sure!

Hare_Twigga said:
In quartz reefs if you see red iron oxide clay like in the first pic,it indicates cavities in the reef. I follow the red to the cavities as that's where the conditions are favorable for crystals to grow.
Thanks for the tip! I'll have to give it a crack sometime and see if I come across anything!

Hare_Twigga said:
Smokeys that size could be worth something, you'd get 5 bucks each for 'em at those weekend markets for sure!

At the hippie/new age shops in Sydney they sell for about $90 a piece.

Hunting the yellow said:
Balx said:

Yeah... I was meaning the one's hunting the yellow mentioned...

thedigger said:
You can get green sapphires in Donnellys creek above Walhalla up to 5cts

Thedigger

Whereabouts along Donnelly's creek can you find them? Or is that highly classified information?!

Tania

trixiebelle 08 said:
thedigger said:
You can get green sapphires in Donnellys creek above Walhalla up to 5cts

Thedigger

Whereabouts along Donnelly's creek can you find them? Or is that highly classified information?!

Tania
Donnelly's Creek is on the exempt list, there are a few small feeder creeks that flow into it though that could be worth looking at.

What do you mean it's on the exempt list? Does that mean you have to have a permit to fossick? Can you recommend a good book to learn basics of how to find gems? I am in lakes entrance and don't know where to start with regards to hunting some down. I used to collect sea glass but on a recent trip to camperdown we went scratching around lake bullen merri and found zircons, after that I was hooked!!!

Tania :)

G'day i was on the gold down in West Gippsland yesterday and noticed a couple of chunks of what i'd describe as cemented wash dirt and they're studded with clear gems. I got no idea what they might be - any ideas anyone???
1423829109_screen_shot_2015-02-13_at_11.04.24_pm.png

1423828989_screen_shot_2015-02-13_at_10.59.01_pm.png

Fortune Seeker said:
Looks a lot like gemmy quartz. Some things need to be inspected in person to be sure though.

That's for sure - but I've occasionally come across lists of gemstone locations in Victoria and i was hoping someone might have one to consult or know from experience what what to expect from that region.

casper

I used to have a great book on Vic gemstones and locations. I lent it to a bloke and I've not seen the book or him since :rolleyes:
There is diamonds found almost everywhere along the great dividing range, just very widely dispersed. Any idea of the rock types in the area?

Hi everyone,

My partner, myself and our 2 kids went for our first fossicking mission today up in Walhalla. We found a bit of quartz (I think) on our way in to Walhalla, near a little creek that run under the road. We did a little fossicking in the creek that runs through Walhalla but learnt that it is off limits (woops)!! Firstly we have no idea in what we should be looking for, and secondly we have no idea on where to have a look. Our kids are are 3 and 6 and absolutely love gemstones, so we would be looking for an area that is kid friendly. A fellow worker of my partner told us he went up there last weekend and they found amethyst and others clear quartz in the creek near Walhalla. Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated, as the kids had a ball today finding the little bits that we did. Thanks for reading and we look forward to any replies. Cheers Kylie

Latest posts