Gday from Cairns

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Evening Gents. Just introducing myself on another new forum, for which im sure my wife is thrilled!

Avid hunter who cant help but kick the rocks in creek beds and wonder what is hidden under them.... located in Cairns, but good luck catching me at home on weekends.

Currently looking at what detector to get ala every other rookie ever. Thinking minelab gold monster as a starting point. :Y:

Welcome Meller9.3 Im sure when the regulars pop past you will be inundated with suggestions but as im a newbie myself my only suggestion is to be careful when kickin rocks about as you might dislodge another bloody politician or one of those sneaky greenies that are spying on us all
good luck to you mate and happy hunting
pp

Mate all i can say is make your decision on how much you want to spend
The GM is a good detector but for a few dollar's more you could get a better on
So in saying that maybe put up a dollar figure that is the maximum you want to spend
Oh buy the way welcome cairns is a beautiful place spent 3 years military up there

pagan prospector said:
Welcome Meller9.3 Im sure when the regulars pop past you will be inundated with suggestions but as im a newbie myself my only suggestion is to be careful when kickin rocks about as you might dislodge another bloody politician or one of those sneaky greenies that are spying on us all
good luck to you mate and happy hunting
pp

Thanks mate. If i do dislodge a politician, greenie or hipster sporting a man-bun, ill kick again. Harder!

7.62marksman said:
Mate all i can say is make your decision on how much you want to spend
The GM is a good detector but for a few dollar's more you could get a better on
So in saying that maybe put up a dollar figure that is the maximum you want to spend
Oh buy the way welcome cairns is a beautiful place spent 3 years military up there

Couldnt help but notice the 1RAR patch and the username. Not much in Aus that a .308 wont knock over, but 9.3x62 just does it better :) :) (need a stirring emoticon!)
Were you with 51FNQR in Cairns?

I was initially planning on spending about 4k on a detector, but some local fellas advised against it. Suggested getting something cheaper, learning how to use it properly and upgrading later by gifting the GM1000 to the Mrs or keeping it as a spare.
I think for me, im thinking of detecting whilst on hunting trips. In the long hours during the day when the animals are bedded down escaping the heat. I hunt extensively around charters towers and up to mid cape york. Gotta be gold somewhere there......

Yes mate 51fnqr
Thepatch is my mother battalion
Ok well the GM for around 1k is very basic to use (switch on and go) (i have one) for the money
from everything i have read the small coil is better but takes you longer to cover ground
There are others out there around 2 to 3k but a bit harder to use and as people read they will post

I was up at 51s Weipa bravo company depot last week. Sort of place that makes you glad for postings like Cairns hey. RFSUs arent quite the destinations they used to be, thats for sure.

You out now?

Smaller coil, slow is good and suits me, just like hunting. Plus i get to check for animal sign as i detect! This idea just keeps getting better the more i think about it. ;)

:lol: :lol: yes this hobbie serves two purposes sometimes :lol: :lol:
Spent a lot of time in the far north TI as well
been a long time forgot most of the area now but remember the road up was just a goat track
Yes done 21 got out December 99
Any way back on track :lol: :lol: as i said the GM is easy to use and does find some fine gold
What area are you looking at going into

You were getting out just after I got in :Y:

No idea on locations yet. Will get into some research and join the local club. Then ill make a pest of myself :) :)

Thinking Mt. Malloy area is pretty nice and local. I know they had gold mines up there at some point and i have access to a bunch of stations out that way. :Y:

Cairns is at 3 o clock

1533995669_cairns_qld.jpg

Welcome Meller9.3. P.A. is a great group of men and women and other that enjoy the outback Australian countryside in search of the the rocks and gold that make us all happy with life.
Jaros. :Y:

Thnks Jaros :Y:

Ive discovered the classifieds section. This is gonna get expensive in a hurry! Lol

Latest posts