Detectors.. Places to go .. No secret spots wanted(obviously lol)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewP1986

Andrew
Reaction score
Hi fellow PA members ?

A few questions i have, if they could be answered pretty please with a Gem on top :)

It may seem like a long post, and i apologize but i would rather say as much as i can think of that i need some help with ?

I have been looking for places in NSW on google for years and months off and on. But the past 2 months i have really started to up my search places and get as much info as i can. I am just having problems on exactly where to go. Say a place like Grabben Gullen for instance, where in Grabben is a place you can go? Or Hill End, or other places.
I don't want your secret locations, i am not like that. But just a push in an area that i can start to fossick/prosepect around. I want to go and explore and hopefully find my own little honey hole.. When i do searches, it gives me the suburb of places and whats been found in said areas. But just unsure exactly where to go in the areas, If that makes sense?
I am wanting to find, Gold, Gems, Relics, Fossils. And also Meteorites and Thunder Eggs are on the top of my list i really want to find, hopefully! Any areas in NSW would be great, as i am not fussed where, just really wanting to get out and give it a go. Or somewhere closer to the Wollongong area, like Oallens, Tuena.
Any information on exactly where i should start out would be greatly appreciated. :)

Also, metal detectors. I am a newbie when it comes to all this, although i have panned maybe 3-4 times in Oallens and Sofala but only quickly (random drive sort of thing)
I was looking at either getting the Minelab XTerra 705 or Garrett Pro international. My budget, is really no more then around $1300. Which detector would suit a newbie like myself, Or any other detectors that might be best. It would mainly be used for gold and possibly gems, just basically what ever is in the fround, i want to try and find it!

I will be starting to get out in about 4-6 months time, just want to get as much info as possible now, If anyone would be so kind to help :)
So i can write it in a diary, and workout a plan of where to actually go, and try to make a few days or weeks out of it on the road prospecting.

I have got a Pan, Rock Pick, 1st Aid Kit, Snake and Spider Bite Kit, Deet Repellent, Tea Tree Oil and Eucalyptus Spray and Water Proof Sunscream, and the normal hiking boots and pants and long sleeve shirtd, to try and stop those Tics and Leeches. I am pretty set, well i think i believe i am. I just need some places in areas to go and a detector and i am as good and ready as i can be

I never want your exact coordinates, but just places of where exactly i should be going. As stated, i see suburbs of where to go, but no idea where to go in that suburb.

Thank you kindly, if you are able to help. Please remember i am very new to the whole fossicking/prospecting.

Happy hunting ladies and Gents :pickshovel: :goldpan:

Plenty to read up on here mate. If you can afford $1300 now, me personally I would wait a bit longer and save up to buy a 2nd hand SDC.
Have a read up on " gold locations" etc
When you have your mind set on a particular location that you want to go to. Pop a thread up asking about such.
Bit easier for us to give you related info of one area.
Try using the search engine with a location you are interested in.

Awesome. Thank you Mudgee Hunter. I will go through this forum today, and spend some time reading as many posts as i can.
I did have a look at the SDC a few days ago. It didn't even cross my mind about getting a second hand one! Thanks for reminding me about second hand one :)

At the moment i have around 25 places i have written down, and looking at going to, i can fully understand, that giving information at this moment would be quiet difficult. Once i do decide on one particular area i will do another thread for that specific area :)

HI ANdrew and Mudgee,
the QED is pulse induction much like minelab Sd /gpx and sdc

Read up on it. it is in your price range if going second hand and gives VERY good value for money.
You will need to find a local person using it to show you the ropes unless you are willing to work at it. - I don't find it a switch on and go machine if you want the best performance possible for the day/ground type.

Snake and spider bite kit - i didn't know these were avail, thanks for the heads up - some snakeprotex gaiters are also a good idea.

Have to agree,
QED is a very capable machine.
Like any type of detector,
There is a learning curve but with
some practice, You won't go wrong.
Also being able to fit it with any GPX series
coils, You have versatility.
I will be using mine up at the Hill End gathering in March.
Summing up, A second hand one is well within your grasp.

Thank you everyone :) I will have a look at the QED Detector as well. For me, there are so many to choose from haha.
I know some people prefer one or the other brands or types that they swear by.
It's main use is for gold and gems, and what ever other treasures i can find in this Earth :)

I just really don't want to spend to much, because i know and have a feeling that i will want to upgrade. Which is kind of why i want to buy something that will do the job and not give me a reason to upgrade for atleast 3+ years or ever for that instance.

I didn't know either about a snake and spider bite kit until i stumbled upon it online. It was definitely a must have.
Thank you Esky, I was considering buying some Leather chaps. But not anymore just.
I just had a look at the Snakeprotex online and i will be purchasing them, as i found a shop only 15 minutes away that sells it! I will have to go in and actually have a look in person, they actually looked comfy, and possibly keep your legs warmer in winter time :)

Go on a recce and have a look on the ground at a few of the 25 places you've researched.
Work out a round trip that will take in at least five of them for a looksee.
stop at the shop at one place for brecky.... another spot with a pub for lunch, and another for tea. Maybe camp overnight near one of your spots to make it a two day trip. Talk to the locals... tell em your a bit of a green skin when it comes to knowledge about it all and see who might step forewards knowing this or that. You may find out more from a local than you could ever know through books or the web..... if only you can get the right one to talk a bit..... Tell em you feel like your lost when it comes to knowing where your going. :D
what's the worst that could happen.... you get no info..... but what's the best that could happen.... :p

gday if you bye a sdc you wont upgrade you will only add to your arsenal when you can sdc2300 awesome machine with no learning curve will find gold if its there cheers Muk.

Hey Andrew, with my snakeprotex the zippers open up a bit after some walking , so i will be stitching on some velcro straps soon to make sure they don't unzip on me....

Pick a few locations and go there, several times if needed. Google will only get you so far from then you have to walk the suburb to find the right street and then walk both solides of the street to find the right house. This is prospecting, I have never asked where to go and consider it poor form. Do your own research and ground truthing, better for your soul.

Hi Andrew, try the Vulcan State Forest, if detecting fails you can always grab the pan!
Bits of gold and gems to be had.

Yesterday drove Orange to north coast, not my suburb but decided to prospect 6 or 7 streets that I pulled from research. All but one were a bust, but alas that is the game we play. Get out there.

Some nice saphires and other gems came out of Black Springs near Orange in the past. A lot of the ground is active lease. You're better off going on an organized fossicking trip with one of the clubs.

Latest posts