G1 Highbanker and flour Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Took the new G1 Highbanker out to the Ford on Saturday for the first time. I was a bit skeptical at first and took me a half hour or so to get the angles right , but when I did I could not believe the miniscule gold it collected. I am talking -100 & -150 flakes. Amazing. Unfortunetly my I-Phone was flat. Never seen so much fine gold.
I am a believer
Cheers Guys

Very interesting Rockerfella, I have been thinking of getting one for a while, and your observations are consistent with my research. Could you comment on how the drop riffles coped with the black sands at Oallen, how much you collected in the top tray vs the bottom tray (if you checked), and how often you cleaned up?

thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,
No problem with the Black sand at Oallen. As far as the Drop Rifles go. They work really well ( To my surprise - I was a walbanker fan - still am ) and only checked the top tray once. I really used it just as a skid plate and classifier and I was emptying the rifles with my finger as we went along. Probably should not have done this. May need more angle on the top. It was however more a learning session than anything. Found 2 tiny, tiny specs on the one occasion I did test the top tray. There was never much in there. However the bottom tray was the catcher - especially the first half. You could see the specs at clean up. We cleaned up about every hour but I recon we could have gone on longer. We did check the discard pile and found about 20 small specs. We are sure this was from a run we did when we did not have the bottom tray quite right. We will be a bit more diligent in checking next time.
All in all it is really easy to set up and clean out. I was impressed and can't wait to get out again.
We got just over 1.5 grams for 5 hours shoveling. Not a lot a suppose but we had a fantastic day out in the bush.
Cheers
Mark

Sounds great Mark, was looking into the G1 and was wondering how they go. When we were chatting at GG the other week did you mention you had a "Goldcube" too, or was I imagining it?

Cheers
Heath

Thanks Mark, that would be much appreciated. I'm in Goulburn, so the Ford is just down the road, and I'd love the opportunity to see the G1 in action first hand. As I said, happy to assist with the shoveling!

G'day

I've been raving about drop riffles for years :lol: I wanted a G1 back when you could only import them and the price was ridiculous so I made my own for $350. I'm still amazed at the fines it catches
1377864872_sam08382.jpg

Cheers

Chimpy

Hey guys im just wondering if anyone could post a pic of what flour gold actually looks like in a pan?
A mate took me out to his spot on the weekend - i was amazed, every pan had colour in it, what interested me though is every pan also contained alot of insanely fine heavy material which was only a little paler yellow then the specks of gold we where finding. So what can i say Im a little curious to know if its possible we are throwing away gold?

Cheers backcreek that's actually the size of stuff we're collecting the stuff we are dumping is even finer so i feel better now knowing we didn't waste any :D

garnethawkins said:
Cheers backcreek that's actually the size of stuff we're collecting the stuff we are dumping is even finer so i feel better now knowing we didn't waste any :D
there is every possibility it is gold dust you are throwing away, its called micro gold :eek:
on its own as 1 speck you might not even see it but when there is lots it looks like a pail gold yellow
get a lot of it and put it together and its gold in colour
its like -200 mesh size even up to -500
suck it up with a snuffer and put it in a poverty pot, before you know you will have a 20L bucket full and then use a blue bowl at -100 mesh and sit down for a few hours and feed it,
last time i did this with a full 20L bucket i got 42gm of micro gold

just think every pan has .00001gm of micro gold x how many pans you do a year= not hard to snuff it up and put it to the side for a rainy day, it adds up

Roger that XIV! I guess it wouldn't hurt to just hold on to it then, especially considering there is alot of it out there, reckon we would fill a cup in about 2 days :eek:

not all of it is gold tho
but yes it all adds up, as i said 20l bucket that i snuffed up over about 7 months had 42gm in it the size of ant poo
when you think of it thats expensive ant poo

Was great to bump into rockerfella at the ford today :cool:
Finally got to see the G1 in action, and i was impressed. A great setup, hope you did well and hope to see you out and about again soon.