Full Time Gold Prospector?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am not a gold prospector yet, but I am really interested in this game.

Wondering how many of you guys are doing this full time?
What is an average annual income for a full time gold prospector?
How much money to spend to get start in this game? any ongoing fee?
License?
Any other things I need to be aware?

Many thanks.

depends on your style of prospecting, detecting, or washing, depends on your budget, wether you have private property access, or you just doing the State forests and National parks, include your 4x4 set up, the countless unpayable hours of research.
Don't forget the most important one of all, Dissapointment, can you handle days if not weeks of it, going along finding next to nothing, there are some guys that do it full time, but I'm guessing that they started off as part timers then graduated to full time :)

I'd also throw in that it would be best to live where the gold is as well.
I'd suggest a job that allows you to have more free time to pursue the hobby eg: teacher - 12 weeks off, police - 16 weeks off etc.

Wintersnake said:
I'd suggest a job that allows you to have more free time to pursue the hobby eg: teacher - 12 weeks off, police - 16 weeks off etc.

Police 16 weeks off? When did this start?

Magilla said:
Wintersnake said:

Police 16 weeks off? When did this start?

That's what my Nephew gets once you factor in nightshift time off.

16 weeks??? Its 9 weeks in Victoria. The 6 days off after nightshift are just your usual rest days stringed together after working 10 days straight.
Either way it still gives me time to get away and do whatever i want to! :)

Thank you.
Just a few more questions:
Do I need a license? or I can walk anywhere, and take any gold nugget I find?
I live in Sydney, not sure if there are any place nearby for gold prospecting.

dwt said:
depends on your style of prospecting, detecting, or washing, depends on your budget, wether you have private property access, or you just doing the State forests and National parks, include your 4x4 set up, the countless unpayable hours of research.
Don't forget the most important one of all, Dissapointment, can you handle days if not weeks of it, going along finding next to nothing, there are some guys that do it full time, but I'm guessing that they started off as part timers then graduated to full time :)

In NSW you don't need a licence/miners right/permit etc. other than the NSW State Forests permit which can be obtained here:
https://firewood.sf.nsw.gov.au/FossickMain.aspx
You also need permission from the landowner, leaseholder, manager etc. of any land to fossick/prospect. Also outside of designated fossicking areas you are supposed to have any Exploration Licence holders permission as well. National Parks in NSW are off limits to any prospecting, fossicking or metal detecting.
Here you will find a link to the guide for fossicking in NSW:
http://www.forestrycorporation.com.au/visiting/activities/fossicking
There are places reasonably close to Sydney but area would be dependent on what you plan on doing?
Prospecting is hard work. Walking around picking up nuggets won't happen. You need to do plenty of research & be prepared for disappointment.
I would say that serious, money/salary earning, fulltime prospectors are minimal on this or other forums & those that are successful in maintaining a salary/profit are even fewer.

Keep in mind other states have different licensing, permit requirements, laws so if traveling interstate check the relevant information for that state.

A good thread to get you started:
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2042

BoydWilliam said:
16 weeks??? Its 9 weeks in Victoria. The 6 days off after nightshift are just your usual rest days stringed together after working 10 days straight.
I'm not talking from experience just what I'm told, it may not be annual leave but it's still time off.
Not to mention it's a good job for a young bloke with some nice benefits.

lukelee said:
Thank you.
Just a few more questions:
Do I need a license? or I can walk anywhere, and take any gold nugget I find?
I live in Sydney, not sure if there are any place nearby for gold prospecting.

You need a fossicking permit in NSW for state forests, you can do beaches and parks for jewellery if you cant get out to gold country. Basically you can prospect any un restricted public land and private land with the permission of the owner.

Hi
I am a full time prospector and I must say I am the luckiest guy in the world. My wife works full time and we are living off her income quite comfortably, so I can detect full time. When people ask me how much can I make a week the answer is sometimes nothing sometimes thousands. It is not an exact science, my theory is one day I will hit the big time, its a risk but so is life! I tell people that I won't die wondering, and we are happy. We sold everything we had bought an old 4x4 and started travelling around Australia looking for gold. Yes my wife detects as well. Some people lust after big houses, flash cars whatever? but untill you actually work out what your passion is, and have the balls to pursue it I believe you won't truely be happy. I have been full time now 6 years and it has been the best time of my life!
2013 has been the best year so far! I found over 1 and a half kilos of gold.
Sorry for all the grammar mistakes...

treasure seeker said:
Hi
I am a full time prospector and I must say I am the luckiest guy in the world. My wife works full time and we are living off her income quite comfortably, so I can detect full time. When people ask me how much can I make a week the answer is sometimes nothing sometimes thousands. It is not an exact science, my theory is one day I will hit the big time, its a risk but so is life! I tell people that I won't die wondering, and we are happy. We sold everything we had bought an old 4x4 and started travelling around Australia looking for gold. Yes my wife detects as well. Some people lust after big houses, flash cars whatever? but untill you actually work out what your passion is, and have the balls to pursue it I believe you won't truely be happy. I have been full time now 6 years and it has been the best time of my life!
2013 has been the best year so far! I found over 1 and a half kilos of gold.
Sorry for all the grammar mistakes...
Bloody Ripa mate! ;)

lukelee said:
Hi guys,

License?

Many thanks.

Id expect you can only do this in WA or FNQ type areas, def not in NSW

In my research would be suited to someone who is comfortable with physical exertion, heat, sweat, no money and plenty of patience. The average annual income would probably be in the range of $10k to $70k. Your daily finds may be nothing, sometimes a few onuces, a lot of times nothing.

You would prob need a reliable 4wd, dirt bike, camping accessories and best detector on the market plus a spare + GPS phone and other comms. Another bit of cash for fuel, incidentals.

You cant detect in 50 degree heat so some months would be out of the question, you cant detect in floods either.

It takes a special type of person to do it full time, most of us do it for a hobby and it rarely if ever pays for the hobby except in personal satisfaction and lifestyle choice.

Most people that ask, are just curious and you may get a few cheeky answers because most prospectors know its not a money game. A very rare few strike the big one. Hope that makes sense.

What's your worst year in weight treasure seeker? Good on you for having balls. A conversation I had only 30 mins ago with a mate.

BoydWilliam said:

You are a very lucky man.
I work for myself and have no time.

Boo Hoo. Sooky lala i am

lukelee said:
Hi guys,

License?

Many thanks.

Most full time prospectors won't tell you a thing as it is their livelihood. And i respect them for that.
So you won't get to many answers.
The guys who have replied are great people and probably are just warning you that its not all beer and skittles.

jarrahrules said:
BoydWilliam said:

You are a very lucky man.
I work for myself and have no time.

Boo Hoo. Sooky lala i am

With out any disrespect :) just friendly advise I got told and am passing it on. You need to ask your self why ? What am I doing wrong or what can I improve. Working for your self is great and a lot of hard work. you should have the freedom to give you self time off. As It's need for a properly run business and not to be asleep at the wheel. I've been there done that :(
Self employed for 20 years. At least one day off a week and 5 week holiday. Time in motion and time management are the key.

Sorry for the hijack
Great thread , I'll try and find the video. It was posted some where of guys un in FNQ detecting for a living. Like a self made documentary over hour and a half long. Really interesting insight into day to day workings. Kind of 3 hour motor bike ride and 4 hours detecting and the back to base camp again. They seamed to be doing quite well , but they are only the few % that do.
It a great watch.

Tim

It was called "gold nugget recovery in far North Queensland 2014 " By goldhounds on YouTube.
Tim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kykzQlL7wCA

The guy on the video Dave, is Bloodgold2 on Gold Detecting & Prospecting forum (4umer.net)

Tremain is 'Maniac', and Dale is 'AurumPro'

If making a living from detecting is your dream, these prospectors show you how its done guys n gals!

Notice their in depth Geological knowledge and their ability to adapt this knowledge to obtain, and work practical virgin territory, simply through doing their homework and being prepared to go far into the depths of no mans land.
Places that a detector has never seen.

Victoria is much smaller than QLD, we all know that, but you must be able to access territory where the weekend hobby detectorist simply is not equipped or does not have the time and desire to go.

Its essential that you have a good grounding in geology being able to read the ground, the vegetation, and know what to look for in your research.

Research you must, i cannot stress this enough.

Finding 1 gram nuggets with your SDC on the weekends in popular spots, available on a Doug Stone maps, is rewarding and loads of fun, but you will not make a consistent living doing this.

You need the know-how, the gear, the desire and the time to take a risk, throw caution to the wind and go to the right areas geologically, where few have been before you!

Like any business, knowledge is power, hard yakka and commitment is essential, in prospecting for a living.

;)

Latest posts