French prospector that recently emigrated to Sydney

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'Day happy propectors from Australia.

I am a French guy that arrived two months ago in Australia for work.
History is one of my passion, and I collected ancien coins, specially roman one. ONe day, I told myself, "why don't you find them yourself?".
Thats is how I came to metal detecting nearly 9 years ago, with an ACE250.
After a few finds not very uncredible, I quickly switched to a Tesoro Deleon. Tesoro are great Relic and coin hunting machines, it is just so nice and easy to use them, but they lack of power.
I found my first roman coins and artefacts with the Deleon.

Experience was growing, new fields were discovered, but the competition was intense and I was missing a lot of very small coins and objects, so I bought a Fisher F75. Awesome machine, I made my best finds ever with this, I brought it with everywhere in France.
It has two major defaults in my opinion:
-low quality of built (I broke the arm retainer after 3 years)
-very sensible to electrical interference (ex: power line)
My avatar was found with this detector, it is a silver coin that weights 0.6g... [not my best find, but I like it, it is very emblematic of the south of France and it is more than 2000years old].

Two years ago, I wanted to upgrade, and I bought a Minelab XTerra705. Great and multiuse detector, but for small objects in polluted ground, it doesn't match the F75. For all the rest, it is better, and that is the detector I brought to Australia (at least if customs releases my wares, that shouldn't be long).

I live now in Ryde, near Sydney, I am looking for Australian mates to detect or fossack with, because I guess I have to convert to native gold and gems, since there nothing really old here.

Believe it or not, but the coins that were not more thant 300 years old (and not silver or gold), I just put them in a big bucket, they were not interesting for me! :D

If you like I'll post some of my finds in Europe in the Relic section.

Hi GallicProsperctor and welcome. We would love to see some picks of your finds.
Sadly you are correct, no coins anywhere near that old to be found here.

Welcome to the forum Gallic, Certainly different worlds apart when it comes to relic hunting. :eek: But equally worlds apart when it comes to Gold and Gem prospecting. I'm sure that including Gold and Gems in your prospecting searches will become enormously enjoyable and even quite rewarding. ;) Would love to see some pics of your coin and relic finds overseas, and look forward to seeing your first Aussie Gold and Gem finds. Best of luck ..Cheers Wal. :)

Welcome GP, We are always pleased to welcome new members to the forum, and you will enjoy finding the gold my friend as much as the old coins, dont forget that the gold is older than any coin you will find and you will be the first to see or touch it !
Regards Bill :cool:

Bon Jour et Bienvenue GP!
I met a quite a few French guys swinging in WA last year, and they all took good gold home too!
A couple even extended their stay 'til this season because they were having so much fun.
As for coins, you're right. Not many old Roman coins around, but nothing beats gold mate.
I reckon after you've held a couple of decent sized nuggets, even 2000 year old Roman dollars might get a Gallic - phteww!

Latest posts