Fossicking for Gold specimens

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All the posts about gold in quartz & ironstone and how to find it got me thinking about the specimens I have.
I had a bit of a think back on the places & situations I found them in and came to the conclusion that all except one (not counting the few I have found while detecting) were found either in the ore paddocks of mullock tips beside old reef workings, or on the ground where they had fallen off the dray / packhorse / wheelbarrow.
So I thought I would pass on a few of my observations regarding ways of Fossicking for specimen gold as opposed to prospecting for primary gold in quartz.
When I go out bush Im always on the lookout for the remenants of old dray or pack tracks. In the mountains up around the N,east of Vic they are a good indicator of where there might be an old mine or group of mines. They were used to transport stone to the nearest crusher which was usually situated on a permenant water source. These tracks are a good place to look for stone that has fallen of the dray or barrow & I have found several gold bearing species like this.
The next place to look is around the mullock dumps themselves. or at the portals to adits. On mullock dumps on shaft (vertical ) workings there is usually a small wall of stone built in to one side that was used to store the Ore that was later sorted and sent to the crusher. This was called the ore Paddock. If the workings were a small scale 2 man operation the ore may have been sorted & high graded so as to reduce the cost of carting and crushing at the nearest public battery. The discarded stone or that that was put aside for latter dollying can sometimes be found up next to a tree trunk near the shaft. On adits (Horizontal tunnels) try and work out where the load out chute for the dray would have been and then check around there.
The last place is on the mullock dump itself. If the reef had ill defined walls or was faulted or spurry or had a lot of ground up clay etc mixed in with it it was easy to discard ore as being worthless mullock, as when it came up in the bucket it looked pretty much like everything else. Once it sat for 50 to 100 years the weather washes the clay dirt away.
Ore isnt always white quartz. I have found some rich stone on a dump that was purple in colour. 8) another piece I picked up looked like that fungus that grows on trees that is called blackfellas bread. ( No disrespect intended) I went to give it a kick and expected it to break up but it didnt. No gold was visible until I crushed it and checked the tail.
When washing your seived crushings dont just rely on your naked eye. If your eye site is like mine has got to of late you could throw out the "hand of faith" and not see it. Some of the gold is so fine that it just looks like a yellow translucent glow on the bottom of a black pan. Purchase a good Loupe of at least 10X . When you have your crused sample washed down to a couple of spoonfuls run a magnet wrapped in a ziploc bag through the sands to take out any iron. Lastly dont forget to check your oversize sieve for gold still adhering to the stone.
Hope this helps all the budding specie fossickers. :cool:

Jethro.

Thanks Jethro, that was a great read and i'll be taking some of your advice while fossicking around the mullock heaps next outing.

There's nothing quite like a scare from a slithering friend 1st thing in the morning. Its a better kick start than coffee that's for sure!

Very informative and practical. Sometimes we miss the obvious looking for the bigger reward. I have heard of plenty of people getting success from old dry blowing patches here in WA, same would also apply to deeper mining activities as well. Appreciate the write up.

Do you have any photo's to assist with the story, or perhaps some of the wins.

Great info there, lots of ground gets covered when your walking the fields of gold, time to stop looking and start seeing!!

Cheers, Tone

jethro, very interesting read. Thank you for taking the time to write it. Just a question. If you looking for staff fallen off the cart or a barrow, would you have to dig? Or would you just look for staff after it is exposed by erosion? I came across some old rails in the bush recently and after reading your post this would be great place to have a look.

Hey all.
Yes you have to be careful of the "no legged lizzards" when out fossicking or just walking around but ore that has been busted out is generally about fist sized so only small snakes can hide under them. Mullock tips are a different story though, I also do a bit of deer stalking & the amount of Tiger & Black & Copperhead snakes I''ve seen in & around old mullock tips makes me very wary of the next step I take.
As for Photos, have you seen my avitar I should change my forum name to"dracula" or "the phantom". I tend to travel as light as possible and the best camera I have is in my htc Phone. I need to remember to actually take some pics of some of the stuff I'm talking about so I can better explain. i also need to be able to get it from the phone to the computer.
Beagleboy, all the stone that I have picked on the old tracks has been just laying on the surface & it generally looks out of place. ie no other stone of similar appearance scattered around. If you are hunting in the bottom of the ore paddocks you may need to do a bit of scratching as only the small bits of ore will be left behind in the clay & topsoil.
The best places to hunt for any type of surface mineralization are the burnt areas after a fire.you can see all the stuff that is normally hidden by vegatation.
Tone, you are exactly right some people cant see the forest for the trees. If you slow right down and have a good look at your surroundings and then try and figure out what went on 50, 100, or 100,000,000 years ago you stand a better chance of not missing what those who have gone before did. Im no expert at this but I did have a very good teacher who showed me a hell of a lot about how to read what the old timers did back in the original days of gold. We used to go out propecting most weekends but unfortunately he had a fairly major stroke last year & this has slowed him up considerably. I miss our outings a lot :( .

Thanks jethro. I will have to pay better attention next time when I come across a place like you described. You learn something new every day on this forum. :)

I once picked up a sweet stone axehead off a lease corner indicator just cause it looked so different to the other obviously local rock. Took it back to the office in Kal where it sat until i was leaving the goldfields, i took it back and chucked it in the bush nearby where it had come from - outs respect for those who it belong to ,IE not me

Nice stuff, yes I have to turn over every piece of stone, grain, because gold here is very mixed with pyrite. It's not unusual to have both in the same stone. As for nasties, I added scorpians to my list of friends. Theyre no match for my rock mallet. Crack!!!

I have a beautiful Mackay cedar that I am fossicking around at the moment. I don't have whizz bang gadgetry, I have access to a Minelab SD2100. My site is directly under the old shaft on a friends property, and that is filled with water at the moment. However that water has to come out somewhere, and the root system to this old cedar is protruding 1 metre out of the ground, and runs for about 40 metres, slightly above the creek. And yes I am getting gold, but very hard earned. Including a fall or two into the creek.

Latest posts