Fossicking around the Inverell and Glen Innes areas

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heatho said:
Cool Highway, hope you get some nice stones up there, please post pics when you can.

Twapster, go for it mate just give BB a call before heading there just to make sure they are open as it's been so cold out there that the wash tubs would have an inch of ice on top in the mornings. They should be open for business.

The tourist area is great for people who don't want to get into it too hard, though if you're keen to have a propper dig there are so many spots to choose on the property. Just don't dig anyone else's holes, usually marked with a bucket or a tool of some type. If unmarked go for it. Have a chat with the guys at the mine, they'll point you in the right direction. No highbankers either.

I'm itching to get back up there.

I think the family would have to drag me away with stones popping up everywhere! Looks like Gem heaven

Spent some time fossicking at Inverell, yesterday afternoon specked a few little stones with Shane. Today had a good day all up, this morning I found 2 nice cutters plus half a dozen smaller bits but the afternoon was a washout plenty of digging for no stones what so ever. Heatho, Glen said to say hi, I spent most of the day in a fox hole about 15 feet from him, top guy. Glen had a good afternoon with a dozen or so stones with 2-3 nice cutters. :p
We will see what tomorrow brings. The days are short as the buckets are frozen until about 10 o'clock.
Last night the Inverell show ground amenities block, water pipes where frozen solid, interesting. :eek:

Hey Highway, glad you got some cutters, can get periods like that where you just find nothing, same as anywhere, better than average chance there though. They are a top crew of people up there, Shane's a great bloke and please say hi back to my mate Glen for me also. He always manages to snare a few nice ones. Have you met Keith and Joanne? Or are they on holidays again...... :) If you see them too please say G'day, ah just say hi to everyone for me, lol.

Can't wait to get back up there and see everyone and have a dig, though yeah when the days are longer and a touch warmer. Way too cold for me at the moment.

Just absorb any tips these guys share as they all really know their stuff. Good luck for tomorrow.

Another day head down fossicking found some nice stones 3-4 cutters, 2 or 3 more than yesterday including a dogs tooth, so that was one yesterday as well, 2 dogs tooth stones and both cutters. Fossicked near Glen all day, we both found about the same number of stones today however Glen found 2 zircon's 1 of then a cutter and about 15-20 carrots so he was impressed with that.
Heatho, Glen got buzz about your comments from last night.
Fossicking time is limited water frozen until 10am then light fades from 3.30 - 4.00, washed a bucket around 4.00 yesterday for no stones, then this morning with better light there was a stone amongst the gravel. :eek:
The owner showed us and some overseas geologists the mine process which was impressive.
Today was my last day of fossicking this trip, we are heading for some QLD sunshine which will be appreciated.
I will post a pic of stones when I return home.
Cheers

WOW reading all these stories and seeing all the pictures makes me want to go there like TOMORROW..!!
But work, kids and life stops me for now.
Maybe organise a holiday up that way later in the year.
Keep the stories coming thou.
Dan

Yes Dan it is really good to get away, it's a bit of a drive from central vic, so we incorporate the fossicking into a trip. Keeps the good wife happy and onside for future fossicking trips.
A couple of days fossicking along side someone with similar interests makes for swapping notes on all types of fossicking, a little like fishing, talking about the big catches and ones that got away.
Cheers

Glad you enjoyed your time there Highway, really looking forward to pics. Everyone goes out of there way there to make you feel welcome. Glad you had a dig with Glen again, you could not meet a nicer bloke, looking forward to a beer with him again soon.

The crew up there would have about 150 years combined knowledge on mining Sapphire, maybe more. All mad fishermen too, they out on the Cod last time we were there.

Wish I was there with you guys. :)

DanielGOLD said:
WOW reading all these stories and seeing all the pictures makes me want to go there like TOMORROW..!!
Dan

Welcome to meet us up there sometime Dan, will be heading up there in September for sure.

Hey Heatho I'm thinking about going there for couple days during spring school holiday with my two kids. Have you been there during school holidays, does it get crowded there? It is long drive for me, wife doesn't drive, so I'm trying to find out if the rest of family can enjoy it over there. Me, I be happy to sleep under the stars and eat baked beens, as long I got chance to find decent sapphire.
Karl

You have sold me on the idea,

I will be going up for sure when i get the time off.

Thx Heatho for posting the trip you had

:)

Heatho said:
DanielGOLD said:
Dan

Welcome to meet us up there sometime Dan, will be heading up there in September for sure.

Heatho,

When in September as I am planning holidays around then also.
Would be good to go with someone who knows the place and people and als a fellow fossicker.

Dan

Finally processed the last of my take-always from my trip to GI.

I tried a few new spots with little success but found a promising spot that looks as if it may have been a small waterfall at some stage, it was getting more promising with each layer. Unfortunately I did not get time to get to the bottom so will need to get back there to recover those big stones at the bottom. :p

1405934754_image.jpg

Also got invited to a property where I bagged some nice molybdenum (molybdenite) specimens in nugget, quartz and granite. Also got some facet quality quartz. :D

The biggest green in the photo is about 4.2ct, got a few bombs about the 10ct mark but lucked out on a big clear one this time around.

Latest posts