For Newbies. First Nugget

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This for the new guys, who find it hard to get there first,

Without saying where.

How long did it take to get your first nugget?

How long did it take to get more than 1gram of gold in one pan of first time?

Its not easy, but it can be do, if you work hard on 80:20 rule

Took me after buying the 2300, 6months, and about another month after crushing rock.

Thanks

Mark

Gday

It took me several trips to find my first nugget, like most people new to detecting I thought that only the loud signals would be gold and didn't realise straight away that the more mellow signals were the ones I had to pay attention to :idea: , I probably walked away from many signals that I thought were just ground noise at the time :poop: , but my first piece that I still have was a solid 9 gram piece that was covered in a coating of calcrete and was at the base of a tailings pile from an old mine, I didn't realise it was gold at first until I went back to the car and scraped an edge of it and saw the gold :inlove:

Seems like another lifetime ago now, and theres been many nuggets under the bridge since then, but I reckon your first one is the one you should keep as mine helps to motivate me when I look at it, and I see it as bit of a lucky charm as well.

cheers

stayyerAU

First ever nugget found detecting was at Hill End over a weekend using a mates borrowed scd2300.
Using my own detector was the day after I bought the gpx4500
Bought it at Minersden Bendigo Friday morning drove to Maryborough for a PA members meet and found it the next afternoon.
5 gram nugget found with another 2 smaller pieces over the weekend.
Some times you walk over it other times you dont..but what helps you walk over it, is a lot of research and a lot of walking.

First time out actually couple weeks after I did a training day with minersden. if you can believe it found 2 peices 0.8g and a 0.4g both within a meter of each other got them with my gpx4500 while scanning the creeks walls. It was a heavily detected spot to but i was over the moon! I have done countless hours of research and thoroughly researched this spot and it paid off.

First nugget detecting came 20min after turning on my brand spanking new XT17000. The Missus found another on the same heap. Then it was a loooonnng time between drinks.
Alluvial In the pan Ive only had a couple of multi grm pans in 45 odd yrs of panning. But it gives you an insight to what it must have been like for the first prospectors in a new area.

On my 2nd trip to the GT I got a 0.7g nugget with my GPX 5000 and 11 Commander coil. I found 5 nuggets total for that day.

Latest posts