Flat Rock Water Hole - Upper Kangaroo Valley

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has been into this area?

Not looking for exact locations but trying to figure out if the river is accessible in this area or if it is private land?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Eric

Looks like large sections of the river along the road are not within the park boundary.

1493377418_screenshot_20170428-210119.jpg

If its where i think it is access is a bit restricted, as the road is gated in places and restricted to local residents only as the road was washed out last year.

Thanks Shivan.

I will take a drive out there tomorrow with the family and have a look around.

Apparently you can access the water at Flat Rock, parking right on the water from what I have read.

What are you after? I have a little knowledge of the area and may be able to help.
I may actually be heading over tomorrow, but not sure where as of yet.

Gems or gold. I have head there are sapphires in the area.

We are heading out there today.

If you wind up out that way will probably start at Flat Rock Waterhole. We are in a tan Patrol.

I have not managed to find any payable gold in the area myself. There may be a chance of some small zircon or sapphire, but i would be more on the lookout for semi precious stones like jasper, agate and petrified wood. You can also find a few fossils if you keep your eye out for them.

Spent a few hours at Flat Rock Waterhole. Did some cevicing around the bedrock. Lots of black sand and what looked like black jack but not a speck of gold or gems.

Was well worth the trip though, absolutely beautiful spot!

Eric2017 said:
Spent a few hours at Flat Rock Waterhole. Did some cevicing around the bedrock. Lots of black sand and what looked like black jack but not a speck of gold or gems.
Was well worth the trip though, absolutely beautiful spot!

Some time ago I had a scratch around that area and the black sands looked interesting under high magnification - it got me a bit interested , definitely some blue chips

1493460574_20150823_092925.jpg

Liz from wal'n'liz posted a youtube video on some of the semi precious stuff she found in kangaroo valley.

Not sure about sapphire in the photo as it's very hard to tell but there is certainly plenty of tiny zircon in the pic. Eric, I'm pretty sure I gave you a link to a google earth overlay from the resouces and energy website? Have you used it yet, it shows all the known sapphire and other gem and metals occurences in NSW, inside the clickable deposit markers there is plenty of good info each deposit. There are also clickable field observations as well. :Y:

Latest posts