First time out and I'm in the money - all 35 cents of it!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum, just joined a few days ago and just yesterday bought my first metal detector.
Its a Minelab Gold Monster 1000. Got it off Gumtree. They guy hadn't even opened the box and was selling it for half the normal retail price, so I grabbed it!

So early this morning, I headed off down to the local beach to try it out!

Got down there nice and early and started using the machine in Auto 1 mode to see how things went.

It didn't take long to get the first hit.. tent peg!

Within the next 10 minutes I had 8 tent pegs (must be from those cheapie beach shade shelters).

I spent about 2 hours down at the beach which include a really enjoyable 1/2 hour chatting to another "detectorist".

I ended up coming home "35 cents" better off than I was before hand.. :)

I don't go down there to find my fortune, just to learn about the machine and see what its good at and what its not!

Any finds that I made where just bonus!

Photo of the finds..
Includes
  • Toy car[/*]
  • Tent pegs[/*]
  • Hair pins[/*]
  • Bottle tops[/*]
  • Silver paper from a some sort of lolly[/*]
  • A rusty nail[/*]
  • Some extremely "hot rock"[/*]
  • Some unknown shiny metal "thingy"[/*]

Can't wait for my next session.

Bruce

1580100912_beach-finds-20200127x1000.jpg

Nice work Bruce welcome to PA. Don't want to worry you but it would be a good idea to check the serial number of your machine with Minelab. To me it sounds odd that someone would buy a detector only to sell it without using it :| haven't heard of any fake machines and it's always good practice to check the serial number when buying second hand :beer:.

RM Outback said:
Nice work Bruce welcome to PA. Don't want to worry you but it would be a good idea to check the serial number of your machine with Minelab. To me it sounds odd that someone would buy a detector only to sell it without using it :| haven't heard of any fake machines and it's always good practice to check the serial number when buying second hand :beer:.
Check alibaba 100s of them on there from gpz to the nox, and id expect the vanquish too.

Great advice there "RM Outback and "pinfire opals"
Will do this..

Quick question.. How do I "like a post"? Do you have to have a certain number of posts before that feature comes available?

Regards

Bruce

Pretty sure you have to rack up your 10 post's before it's available :Y: just fire away questions or add comment to any thread that takes your fancy and you'll be there in no time :beer:

In a few weeks you won't be posting up bottle tops and tent pegs as finds.
Hopefully :|

That "extremely shiny rock" looks like a petrified Doggy do. LOL

I was possibly one of the first to do beaches back in 1977 - 78 and in those days found hundreds of pennies. I sold a few kilos of them years ago and still have heaps.
Nowadays the $1 and $2 coins soon add up. My married daughter has her own machine and found $25 worth in 15 minutes in one spot a couple of weeks ago.

Latest posts