First military button

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wally69

Paul
Reaction score
Took the boys to a local show ground today to run their RC buggies around. I know the area was used in the war as a training ground, so I just had to do a quick scan with the 705.

First target $1, then a dozen aluminium can tops.

So I made a move to what looked like an old track along a boundary line thinking that 'pedestrian volume = opportunity' and my first target was old an army button. Yippee :lol:

Second target, ten feet away had me looking in the hole to see what looked like a lanyard connector for a whistle but once out of the hole it had a connector on both sides so it had me stumped; in the pocket.

Third target another two feet away, a slug of heavy metal , thinking lead......checked the hole again and out came a bullet in good shape. By this time the batteries on the RCs had gone flat and the waving arms indicated I had my marching orders, so feeling very chuffed that I have a identified a new hunting ground minutes from home I headed for the car.

Fourth target, six feet away, a 1942 penny, there is always one to be had on the way back to the car. ;)

Following a clean up, I have a set of scales and a 9mm round, possibly a pistol round with no barrel marks. Am thinking it has been dropped and a bushfire has set it off and melted the lead out of it as it is completely hollow.

Overall a good and unexpected RC car racing session. :cool:
1402209421_image.jpg

Heatho said:
Nice button Wally, that spot was in my sights too lol, just hadn't made it there yet. :D

If weather clears I will try to get back for another crack at it this afternoon at about 4:00, I'd like to think there is a rising sun badge waiting to be found. You are more than welcome to join me.

Nice button there Wally. I found one exactly the same as that a few months back :p

Well done!

SF

Went back to the site for an hour today, didn't find that rising sun I was after but am getting closer, the bits and bobs I am digging up are starting to paint the right picture. ;)

1402744791_image.jpg

Yeah farout, makes me edgy digging up old ammo, especially when using a pick...... Cool finds, missed your post, will have to organise a detect with you up there for sure. Have never heard of military training at that site.

Site is looking promising Heath. I'll text you next time I head out. Got soaked last weekend so it was a dud anyway.

I moved to a different spot yesterday to see what sort of spread of relics may be available. This spot had some tents on it as well and appears to be totally undetected. It was encouraging to see two small buttons and the Australia arm badge come out. Got a single unfired round 303 sitting between the buttons and soon followed up with a whole clip, which has mostly rusted away. Got half a dozen empty shells as well.

I am digging with the demo-chisel and a plastic scoop and most targets are only a few inches deep so definitely a no-pick site.

All this from a rushed scan of a 10x20m area on a site that covers several hectare. :p

Just found something I didn't expect..... 70 years in the bush and the wrapping paper is still intact.

Makes you wonder if it was a deliberate stash and what else is in a hole nearby. :/
1402828074_image.jpg

1402831515_image.jpg
Great finds wally I just found my first button today! Same as yours but we know the owner to ours it was the wife's pops from ww2 found it under the clothes line at nans been in the ground for about 70 ish years

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Great finds wally I just found my first button today! Same as yours but we know the owner to ours it was the wife's pops from ww2 found it under the clothes line at nans been in the ground for about 70 ish years

It sure is nice to dig up some family history, it amazes me the stories that a find can unleash.

Nan's 99 this year and I can tell you she was impressed! She is pretty impressed with IPhones too' lol

Wally69 said:
Site is looking promising Heath. I'll text you next time I head out. Got soaked last weekend so it was a dud anyway.

I moved to a different spot yesterday to see what sort of spread of relics may be available. This spot had some tents on it as well and appears to be totally undetected. It was encouraging to see two small buttons and the Australia arm badge come out. Got a single unfired round 303 sitting between the buttons and soon followed up with a whole clip, which has mostly rusted away. Got half a dozen empty shells as well.

I am digging with the demo-chisel and a plastic scoop and most targets are only a few inches deep so definitely a no-pick site.

All this from a rushed scan of a 10x20m area on a site that covers several hectare. :p

Cool Wally would be great just let me know, it is a large area, probably lots more treasure there, plus all the other stuff that happens there regularly too.

Got out for a hunt today and found that rising sun badge I have been looking for, a few S&W 32 and 38 cartridges and a decimal coin spill. The $2 was near a walking track.

The badge is a bit messed up but it has been on my hit-list so I am very happy. :D

1406010300_image.jpg

the duck said:
Nice button and looks like an old motorcycle tyre pressure gauge but could be a set of scales

Hi Duck, you are right.

It is a set of scales used by armorers to adjust trigger pressure on riffles/pistols.

Cheers,
Rob

Well done on the rising sun, that is on the hit list of many detector owners, looks like it should clean up well with an old toothbrush or similar. :)

Latest posts