First Hunt Ever!!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just got my first ever hunt under the belt. Was heaps of fun even though I only found 5 pull tabs, a few foil drink seals & a scrap of tin. What an exciting hobby this is, I was in suspense each time the unit went off and was even enjoying finding the trash (for now) so I could dispose of it.

Can't wait to get some more runs done after work this arvo!!!

Mike. :cool:

Gday Mike, I run an ACE250 and you are welcome to look through my posts and threads to get any relevant info that I've posted on how I find what I find with it,...and ask of me what you will about it.

Mike I strongly suggest you hit areas with play equipment and the tan bark stuff that surrounds them. I stopped in Wagga earlier this year on the way to an event further north, to break the drive I pulled out my CTX3030 and within 2 minutes found something like $5 + at the bottom of a slide.... in one hole. I nearly didn't dig it because the signal was big & messy. The rest of play ground only yielded pull tabs some 5 cent pieces and busted toy car.

Good luck.

Hi Mike
Careful it easy to get addicted mate
I've been detecting 1 year and a half
And it's out if control lol
Do heaps of research on old areas
And hunt public areas like the boys are
Saying once you start the gold coins
Flowing you can move on to other things
And better detectors
Happy Hunting
EM

Mikezoom said:
Hi All,

Just got my first ever hunt under the belt. Was heaps of fun even though I only found 5 pull tabs, a few foil drink seals & a scrap of tin. What an exciting hobby this is, I was in suspense each time the unit went off and was even enjoying finding the trash (for now) so I could dispose of it.

Can't wait to get some more runs done after work this arvo!!!

Mike. :cool:

hehehe... you are so hooked! No turning back now.

Good luck with the hunt, plenty of pics please. :lol:

There's an amazing array of shooters on here all very capable of giving guidance and encouragement. Have a scroll through some of the coin shooting topics and you will feel right at home. Good luck out there and enjoy!

Thanks all,

Just stopped by a tan bark park after work. Pull tabs, caps and screws. Even managed a fork and a plastic silver spoon!!!

Got a few zipper tags and my first coin!!!!!!!
1416566822_image.jpg

1416567010_image.jpg

Detecting is very addictive for sure. As mentioned, tot lots and dry sand beach detecting tend to hold easily found goodies, and don't require an expensive detector to be successful. Finding junk initially is fine, but after your 1000th pull tab, it can wear a little thin. Starting off in the above mentioned areas will go a long way to gaining confidence, and to know what to listen for, and without having to deal with excessive amounts of junk. :)

PS Don't be afraid to post some pics of your detector either, haven't seen a tracker for ages. ;)

Junk jewellery, cutlery sets and money,....you are well and truly on your way Mike.

Hi Mike,
I hit a few parks round the western sydney area and average $10 - $25 an hour in gold coins alone. Just gotta watch the parks on the weekends to see whats happening and where they are dropping there stuff. You must be sick of pull tabs, bottle caps and the foil off those gatorade bottles arent you?

Cracka

Once those leg muscles toughen up a bit you won't feel it as much(all that up and down mate), just don't over do it too much to start with and do yourself some damage,...do a little stretching warm up before you get into it.
And Mike, you are going great guns,...getting more moolah each time(battery money).

Hi Mike

It seems you are getting the hang of it now - the next step is to find a good location.

If you still live in Wagga - try down near the caravan park and the riverbanks... It floods seasonally and you never know what the water has moved around. You have proven that if a target is there and you walk over it you will find it so now just a matter of walking over it. Unfortunately the junk goes hand in hand with the coins and jewelry - where ever people congregated you will find both.

Hi again,

Ducked out early this morning before the temp hits 40c .... Ouch!

Went to a location that has history going back 100 years plus and hit pay dirt straight off the bat!

1416694654_image.jpg

1416694991_image.jpg

Around $10 and my first Pre Decimals all in the space of an hour and a half!

Oh and the spoon is silver with hallmarks that I need to look at closer.

Mike.

excellent work. What are the dates on your pennies? Looks like 1944 or 1941 but can't make out the other.

Latest posts