First Couple of Days Out with ATX

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe

Reaction score
What a hot (35 degree) and windy day I've picked to learn the new beast. Started early morning and remembered if I'll be swinging all day I should at least put some tape on the coil.

Just as well,
1387700957_img_0978.jpg

Ended up with just over an ounce :D of bullets. :(

1387701021_img_0974.jpg

Towards the day got really exited but short lived as I don't see this find as gold (will have to get it checked)

1387701099_img_0980.png

After about an hour swinging my hand got really tired and the swing/sling had to come out (made all the difference)

Over all good learning experience with the ATX, I think after 8 hours of swinging I have mastered the basics. (Tuena has tons of junk)

Cheers Joe

There he goes of into the yonder with his new toy...... :lol: :lol:
You gotta luv detecting in Tuena. Without a doupt you will always get a signal to dig into.
Nice work there mate especially on your first outing with the beast.
Just keep in mind that you did get lost in the scrub last time you went detecting on your own and the misses was looking for you... :)
Overall you happy with the machine ? Is it as you expected? Anything you didnt like or needs tweeking?
Be interested in hearing your thoughts
Cheers
Chris

Like your post, the size of the buck shot compared with the holes in the button is a good sign of its sensitivity. The weight of 16.1 gm for those 2 bits look good to me. Throw them in some acid and see what happens.
Keep us in the loop on how the ATX goes.

ChrisM said:
There he goes of into the yonder with his new toy...... :lol: :lol:
You gotta luv detecting in Tuena. Without a doupt you will always get a signal to dig into.
Nice work there mate especially on your first outing with the beast.
Just keep in mind that you did get lost in the scrub last time you went detecting on your own and the misses was looking for you... :)
Overall you happy with the machine ? Is it as you expected? Anything you didnt like or needs tweeking?
Be interested in hearing your thoughts
Cheers
Chris

LoL Chris, thanks :) this time I made a note of the power lines.

Happy ? Yes mate, mind you i have never operated the 5000 so I don't want to compare. I do however own sd2000 which is little easier to hold and swing with the 8 inch mono, except the back pack which does get little heavy and can't be folded like the ATX. The SD needs constant re-balancing which drives me little mad. I know the SD would pick up all those targets I got with ATX. I must say the unit was extremely stable around and under power lines. the next workout will be in the water. Hmm I'm planning to spend 8 hours detecting in the water.

Is it what I expected? Day 1 met my expectations. I found plenty of junk and wire in a trashed area.

Tweaking? Too early for me to comment I did notice "iron check " on deep iron object does not grunt but gives low to high, lead gives high to low, some iron and or hot rock also gives high to low. Found a boulder (hot rock ) couple of tons that I've balanced over lol even my magnet took some force to pull off.(good stuff)

Will have to catch up. T was like a ghost town again today not a single prospector around?

Cheers Joe :)

geof_junk said:
Like your post, the size of the buck shot compared with the holes in the button is a good sign of its sensitivity. The weight of 16.1 gm for those 2 bits look good to me. Throw them in some acid and see what happens.
Keep us in the loop on how the ATX goes.

Thanks Geoff, will do - the colour on the two bits doesn't seem to be right,will get it looked at. :)

Decided to swing the detector for few hours in Tuena , Sat down under a tree to have a sandwich when I got this funny feeling someone was watching me. Third bite into it and suddenly this weird hissing sound appears from nowhere. :eek: Sandwich has fallen out of my hand and I froze. Slowly moving away from the tree without knowing what is behind me. After turning around couple of Goannas are staring at the dropped sandwich. Relieved it didnt jump on me I watched them eating my left overs and amazingly climbed back up the tree and performed some sort of mating ceremony. :)
1388230555_img_0107.jpg

The creek was very dry and I have opted for the hills. Plenty of bullets , nails and hot rock but not gold 8.( There is always next time
1388230806_img_0989.jpg

Happy Yellow Hunting. :)

nice one joe! a bad day out on the field is still better then a good day at work......sometimes :/

trenchfighter said:
nice one joe! a bad day out on the field is still better then a good day at work......sometimes :/
In deed trenchfighter , (no such thing as yes sir , no sir , three bags full sir in the bush lol,) mind you I couldnt afford to do prospecting full time or I would be broke in no time. :)

Keep hunting, theres definitely nuggets in Tuena. While the junk collection may grow, hopefully the nugget collection will too!

trenchfighter said:
one day brother, one day we'll hit the big one and never have to work again :D

Yes, it's like playing a lottery - got to be in it to win it. :)

I'm just starting out in the search for a nugget...and am curious to know ... if there's no farmhouse in cooey...is it OK just to park beside a creek bed and start up the metal detector?

Depends on how keen you're to get shot at... That's a bit exaggerated, but no house in the near vicinity does not mean it's not private property. In Tassie we can use a Government website called TheList that allows you to look up all the cadastral information for any land, i.e. who owns it, etc, so you can ask for permission if you want. I'm sure a similar resource is available in the other States/Territories.

Thanks mfdes. It sounds like it is courteous to let the local farmer/ landowner know that you're camping on his land. I'm sure this would be the case in NSW, and other States. Cheers.

Latest posts