Filter on my pump keeps blocking up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortlife

Wayne
Reaction score
Looking for a better options for my pick up filter to my pump as mine keeps clogging up and slowing my water speed/pressure down to the spray bars. What have you guys girls done to resolve this issue

Place the end inside a bucket
tilting the bucket 45 in the water
place1 big rock in bucket to keep it steady.
And you should be right to go

I use a waste paper basket from the reject shop. $5 mesh bucket. Works a treat.

in deep water use a plastic bottle as a float with something heavy attached to keep the pickup submerged and off the bottom , but not on top of the water. :)

If you are using one of those little plastic round sieves that come with the pump they are a joke. If you speak to any pump manufacturer the reason they supply these is because their products are meant for "occasional use" not the thrashing we prospectors give our gear.

There's a few options but depending on your budget and intake size theres a wide range of $$ variations.

First thing is always prep your intake area, no point having everything right then sticking your intake into a pile of leaf litter and expecting it not to fill up, i always dig a clean pickup are for my pickup or at least rest it intop of a spare classifier if that's practical.

Second and most important, make a pre screen, even if its a bunch of wire you've scrunched around the intake (which actually works really well) just pre screen with something, most of the plastic pickups will implode once they get blocked a few time. Its not worth the stress on your pump and the downtime.

Personally i use this setup (first pick). its a brass non return check valve with screen, the actual pickup valve it self works really well but the vacuum it creates draws in debris and junk so i wrap it i another wire screen to keep the junk back a bit, that way if the pressure drops i can grab gunk of the prescreen without it being forced into the main intake.

Ive used this kind of pre filter on every screen ive used, this is for a large volume pump so it needs the larger intake but for my smaller pump i use a plastic version that is only $26 from midland irrigation. Its a ripper setup, easy to unscrew if pine needles make their way through the screen and the 5mm screen is inverted to any stones coming in get lodged and can be poked out from behind. I also run a pre screen on this but gave it to a mate recently who needed one.

Ive seen blokes using buckets with old tools cable tyed into them to keep their weight down, ive seen people just jamming bird wire into the end of the 50mm hose, in my opinion never restrict flow and always allow plenty of room for blockages in your prescreen setup.

there's a million other factors like whats size particle can pass your pump impeller etc. but assuming you are using spray bars that will dictate the size of stuff you let through. hope this helps.

1437347412_20150720_090722.jpg
1437348122_20150720_092159.jpg

Latest posts