Fell down mine shaft

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
You stepped back, and slid down the wall of a 15 foot mine shaft. Your only slightly hurt, but only have your nugget scoop and a knife with you, as you dropped your pick up top. Whats the best and easiest way to dig foot holes to climb out. Its a rectangle hole.

I would calmly asses the situation with what I have.
Your prospecting mate that you have gone into a known mining area
wonders over to find out what happened as you just
disappeared from sight and toss's down your pick
or goes and gets a length of rope to help you out.
Or raises the alarm. :D
If there is no hope of digging foot holes either with
what you have or with a stick in the bottom of the hole,
I would calmly reach around to my Back pack and try my phone.
If no reception set off my EPIRB and sit and wait.
Then the bottom of the shaft starts to crack and sink
under your weight.
Now you are in real trouble. :eek:

Tathradj said:
I would calmly reach around to my Back pack and try my phone.
If no reception set off my EPIRB and sit and wait.

You might be in for a l-o-n-g wait, mate. There certainly wouldn't be enough unobstructed view of the sky for an EPIRB/PLB to get a GPS fix - it needs widely separated satellites for triangulation - and it probably couldn't reach a search and rescue monitoring satellite either, unless one happened to be directly overhead. 8.(

Hahaha that brought me back to about 6 years ago, me and some mates went out Devils kitchen on Tims property to explore some caves, we took some rope and a few travlers and in one of the caves there was a shaft so a mate went down about 6m and then stopped in a little cut in and said he didn't want to go first and because I had a few beers under my belt I felt the courage to go first, but I only tied the safety rope around the first two loops on my jeans where your belt goes through.... As soon as I was leaning back starting to decline down the shaft I got rope burn so let go of the rope and the safety rope just ripped through the belt loops and down I fell. My mate couldn't stop laughing. He said all he could see was me falling straight past him down to the bottom haha. I no longer drink and treat mines with great respect... Just thought I would share that story :) there cool mines to go through on his property. You can see the old miners work and then all of a sudden they change into army tunnels that the yanks dug training for war

Well, by the vague and humorous answers you've got to your post Sheryl, it's a pretty good bet to say that none of us would know what to do :lol:
Best i can suggest is prospect with a mate or let somebody responsible know roughly where you're going and when you expect to be back so they can get a search going when you don't come home or back to camp on time.
Maybe also carry a whistle with you like i do when i'm out in the rough scrub fishing or hiking?

AtomRat said:
I like bear grylls method by using two sticks or planks to climb a shaft, but is risky, and needs two sticks or things to wedge and stand on to begin with
AtomRat, i like your idea. Would never have thought of it, just like the wood choppers climbing up the tree.

Yes, but where did you get the planks from? And what are you going to dig the slits to hold the planks in position with Sheryl? It'd want to be a bloody good knife you've got with you :lol: :lol:

Ah, now you're thinking, and if that didn't work you could use it to saw of your legs, one at a time to eat :lol: and if you've got matches that you lit the fire with you could cook them. How about wearing a jumper and knitting a rope ladder? :lol: :lol: Sorry Sheryl, just amusing myself.
It is a good question though, and one i often ponder when i'm out there alone and look down deepish shafts. Many have old tree limbs in them but many don't as well.

Latest posts