Excellant article on gold pans

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great find Outback, I may have stumbled across this page before. It would be great to have and test each one of those pans and see how they all work. They all have thier own pros and cons but im sure all of them would catch heavies!

Hi AR ,
Yes they would all have there bad & good points , I'd like to see someone make a clear pan so we can see the gold at the bottom before having to pan out the material ! :lol:

Cheers
Outback .

Hey, great idea there Outback, I haven't been able to shape clear plastic yet but I'll give it another go soon. Even a little window in the corner would be enough.

I'd like a puddling pan for high clay content.

Also a u.v led pan for finding sapphire and other fluorescencing rocks.

Something that I always keep in the back of my mind is that the original prospector tool designs have not had an electronic age revamp as of yet.

I'm sure pans and sluices have a long way to go yet if the tradition can be continued with time.

AtomRat said:
Hey, great idea there Outback, I haven't been able to shape clear plastic yet but I'll give it another go soon. Even a little window in the corner would be enough.

I'm sure pans and sluices have a long way to go yet if the tradition can be continued with time.

AR , One of the problems with having a clear bottom or window is abrasion the action of gravel would soon make it opaque .
There may be a material that is both clear yet tough enough not to scratch , this would need to be harder than 7 on the Moe scale for obvious reasons .

Yes I agree about a better pan is still feasible ' slump angles of different materials whilst water saturated need more consideration in pan designs ;)

Good point, forgot about that.

Hmmm. A mesh could protect it slightly from bigger rock but it still get scratched from the heavy abraisives.

But.. after a quick thought... Im thinking topaz glass..no. Sapphire glass...hmmm hey! I saw sapphire glass used on a doco about NASA solar satellites. Now hmmm. where have I heard that before but somewhere closer to home?

Thats right! New tablets, iphones, androids etc all use sappire glass called Gorilla Glass as its high in resistance to scratch, and lab grown sapphire! Now theres an idea...

http://www.cnet.com/au/news/sapphire-phone-screens-not-as-strong-as-you-think-says-corning/

Hey outback firstly bring back your Avatar and secondly I love the article on pans very interesting. My first pan was about 18" and I had to hold it over the fire to Blacken it so you could see the gold.
Cheers
Mackka

Mackka said:
Hey outback firstly bring back your Avatar and secondly I love the article on pans very interesting. My first pan was about 18" and I had to hold it over the fire to Blacken it so you could see the gold.
Cheers
Mackka

Ha ha ''' Macckka , I liked the good sort in the old avatar also but didn't want people thinking I was a chick :p
Pleased you enjoyed the article on pans .

Outback .

Latest posts