Entry level detector

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mate :) I think budget is the 1st question we will all ask , then are you looking for gold or treasure or both ? Im sure those questions need to be answered first ;)

Garrett at gold m8 ive found both great old coins and gold with it and there around $800 or 900 bucks well worth it with in 5 weeks of detecting it paid for its self 3 times

Whites GMT Goldmaster!

Loves coins and relics but is the bomb on small gold for entry level @ 48 kHz operating frequency.

"Follow the Paystreak" ......love how it displays the amount of magnetic minerals in the ground. We know the Gold hides in streaks, so follow why not follow the streaks.

$1350 new, or this one for great value at nearly half price from a trusted ebay seller (nearly 2000 sales with 100% positive feedback)

Sunshine West in VIC.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WHITES-G...03?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27ff7c9867

We use one in our personal armory of prospecting equipment.

;)

Next1m8 said:
What are your thoughts on FT16000

Very old model , worth about 150- 250 . They arent great now but were in their day , so unless u had a new untouched area they wouldn't be finding much. The 1800 is probably your starting point in the older minelab vlf models as they have 3 frequencies to target different sized gold.

Next1m8 said:
How do frequencys work on sized gold I really have no idea

The more frequency a detector has it losses more
depth but becomes More sensitive to small gold,
Bits of foil, more ground noise and Visa versa to
One that operates in a lower frequency.

Eg a whites gmt will detect really tiny nuggets which
operates at 48khz compared to a detector operating at
say 14khz which will Find deeper gold but bigger in size.

So if you want deeper gold then a whites mxt will do the
Job since it operates in the lower range where if your looking
for the small stuff then a gmt Will do the job.

An xp deus for example allows you to choose the frequency
Range you want to use like the whites v3i.

Once you use either you get a better understanding which
Targets hit harder at which frequency.

Eg lowest khz for deep silver or the 20khz range for
Small stuff like foil, earings, gold etc.

I'd say X-Terra 705 or Whites MXT. That way, when you catch the gold bug and want to buy a better gold detector, you'll still have a very good coin/relic machine in your armoury ;) The Eureka Gold is another option, very underrated relic detector, as long as you don't intend to chase coins in parks.

I agree with META and NENAD (PhaseTech)

The GMT is Hot on Small Gold and The Meter is worth it's weight in Gold, I did an Air Test on A Lead Nugget weighing 1 1/4 ozt and it picked it up at 21 inches using the Standard 5X10 Twin D Coil.

As For the MXT, It will find things very Deep and Has the Same Super fast Auto Tracking that Is In The GMT as well as the Dedicated Prospecting Mode and it is Hot on small Coins Gold and Relic etc,

The MXT Runs at 13.889khz which helps it go a Bit Deeper than the GMT because it runs at 48khz, Both Machines are Very Hot On Gold,

As I Prefer Whites Machines I bought Both of these Machines and the TDI SL and you can Buy All Three for under $3500, And Now I have all Types of Gold Covered Should the Need Arise, Because No Machine can find every type of gold, Which is why we all Own So Many Different Types and models of Detectors,

Hope This Helps,, John

Can't find an Aldi detecto anywhere and I'm going to hire a gpx5k for the weekend hopefully I'll go for a swing and find something, can they be tuned for smaller gold or just bigger bits?

Latest posts