Engine Scan Tools - Recommendations and Reviews

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anolphart said:
I've been using the EDS (engine data scan) for a couple of years now. I leave it hooked up permanently as it not only will record any faults whilst I'm driving, it displays quite a bit of other useful information as well. I have mine set to display the engine coolant temperature, the charge voltage, fuel consumption and road speed all at once on the LCD screen. It's quite frightening how high the temperature climbs to when I'm towing my van uphill (often over 100C) and yet the dash gauge shows 'normal'.

Of course, ever since having installed the device the intermittent fault has not re-appeared. I think that the main advantage apart from displaying the fault code, is that you can clear the code to get you to the nearest service centre. Whilst I agree that it's not a good idea to drive when a serious code shows up, it does at least give you the option of getting to an area where you can call for help. I often go places where there is no phone reception and nearest resident may be 50+ k's away.

I think I paid about $80 ~ $90 for it but I noticed that The 4WD Supercentre have them for about $62.

The link: https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/en...MI-YOTw7WM3wIVCQ4rCh2yAwaVEAQYASABEgJVdfD_BwE

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11434/1544141879_eds-combo-1_1_17.jpg

Thanks Anolphart,

This EDS model looks quite similar to the Scanguage 2 which Xcavator and Goldpick both mentioned. I hadn't thought about this type of device, but it looks pretty simple and easy to just plug into the OBD II plug and mount onto the dash permanently. The ability to permanently display coolant temperature is appealing and perhaps eliminates the need for an aftermarket sensor which has also been recommended to me for towing applications. :Y: :)

I installed the Engine Guard temp monitor before buying the EDS as I have witnessed temperature gauges showing 'cool' after having a sudden major loss of coolant because the engine temperature sensor can't detect any overheating when there is inadequate conductivity in the steam/air near it. I'm not sure whether the EDS would be sensitive enough to detect any instant catastrophic coolant loss as I think it must still use the same temperature sensor, so I think it's good insurance to also have an external sensor to monitor any rise in the engine head/block temperature, particularly one that has an audible alarm.

Wishfull said:
It seems that a lot of the early Commodore and Falcon models are not supported with many of the readers. Anyone know of a good scanner for these ?

Same with Pajero's... They only work from 2001-. Unless you want to use a $5000 Reader.. :eek: ...
I have fitted some extra Gauges so I can see what's going on If something goes wrong...

Auto oil temp is a very important one to have fitted, Especially on Pajero's....

LW...

Depending what you all want to monitor. The unit from 4WD superstore will not give auto transmission temps. This is important in your new 4x4's when towing as transmissions are big $'s to repair if overheated.

ScanGauge Australia
https://scangauge.com.au
Check these out, is what we use and they are brilliant on the phone for help

Troutman said:
Anolphart said:
I've been using the EDS (engine data scan) for a couple of years now. I leave it hooked up permanently as it not only will record any faults whilst I'm driving, it displays quite a bit of other useful information as well. I have mine set to display the engine coolant temperature, the charge voltage, fuel consumption and road speed all at once on the LCD screen. It's quite frightening how high the temperature climbs to when I'm towing my van uphill (often over 100C) and yet the dash gauge shows 'normal'.

Of course, ever since having installed the device the intermittent fault has not re-appeared. I think that the main advantage apart from displaying the fault code, is that you can clear the code to get you to the nearest service centre. Whilst I agree that it's not a good idea to drive when a serious code shows up, it does at least give you the option of getting to an area where you can call for help. I often go places where there is no phone reception and nearest resident may be 50+ k's away.

I think I paid about $80 ~ $90 for it but I noticed that The 4WD Supercentre have them for about $62.

The link: https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/en...MI-YOTw7WM3wIVCQ4rCh2yAwaVEAQYASABEgJVdfD_BwE

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11434/1544141879_eds-combo-1_1_17.jpg

Thanks Anolphart,

This EDS model looks quite similar to the Scanguage 2 which Xcavator and Goldpick both mentioned. I hadn't thought about this type of device, but it looks pretty simple and easy to just plug into the OBD II plug and mount onto the dash permanently. The ability to permanently display coolant temperature is appealing and perhaps eliminates the need for an aftermarket sensor which has also been recommended to me for towing applications. :Y: :)

But,
AC Delco OBD 1 series does. LOL
I had a vt police pack motor and ECU in my old Hilux. :Y: :Y:

Scanner danner on youtube is pretty good veiwing. One other guy is brilliant at diagnostic stuff as well.
Some scanners will even give you advice on what to check for.
Map, maf, tps, ics can only measure at the intake manifold.
So if you have a leak beyond, check the o2 sensor.
The o2 reads the fuel mixture etc after all the othe sensors

That is why the codes often stop there.
The ECU,s knew there was some thing wrong.
And every one goes for a faulty 02 sensor.
I would think about it if the vehicle had done around
150,000 Kilometers, But...

mudgee hunter said:
Scanner danner on youtube is pretty good veiwing. One other guy is brilliant at diagnostic stuff as well.

Hey OP be careful what you read as miss information can be costly.
02 sensor fault code will show at any time it senses any reading outside preset parameters.
BUT the cause of the abnormal readings is the problem not the 02 sensor in most cases.
ICS or actually it's ISC reads NOTHING it's simply an electronically controlled air bleed valve. Be aware also any sensor disconnected and ignition turned on will lodge a code
Merry motoring
DR

Envious coustoms do a downloadable program onto your computer for commodores from 2000 up, I paid $50 for the program and $15 for a obd2 cord. Its hard to pass up the 4wd supercentres scanner for late model 4x4s I got mine for around $150. Fords theres a free program forscan (I think its called that) supposed to work with all ford systems havent used it just found it while looking for the others

This is why I have stuck with a pre electronic diesel......till the cafe latte sippers in the cities decide to ban them.

Dog Ranger said:
mudgee hunter said:

02 sensor fault code will show at any time it senses any reading outside preset parameters.
BUT the cause of the abnormal readings is the problem not the 02 sensor in most cases.
ICS or actually it's ISC reads NOTHING it's simply an electronically controlled air bleed valve. Be aware also any sensor disconnected and ignition turned on will lodge a code
Merry motoring
DR

Perhaps I worded it incorrectly.
I wasnt saying the o2 sensor needed replacing, but saying fuel mixture issues eg faulty inector/ manifod leaks are not not picked by sensors on the intake manifod.
And saying what the job of the 02 sensor, thus a proper scanner can read it. And help diagnose an issue.

And just because you have a code for the map sensor, that doset alwasys mean it needs replacing. But related to it.
Low or high voltage to/ from the idol control valve senor can throw a code mate!
So what part arnt you happy with to quote me and say otherwise?
Great first post ... :poop:

goldtrapper said:
This is why I have stuck with a pre electronic diesel......till the cafe latte sippers in the cities decide to ban them.

Yep! Big fan of them.

Most of Europe is trying to ban Petrol and Diesel cars before 2040. France has already set 2040 as it's date for the country. 2030 for Paris.
Even India is looking into it.

Then the complainers will be out screaming about how (blind) people can't hear them coming.

mudgee hunter said:
Dog Ranger said:
mudgee hunter said:

Merry motoring
DR

Perhaps I worded it incorrectly.
I wasnt saying the o2 sensor needed replacing, but saying fuel mixture issues eg faulty inector/ manifod leaks are not not picked by sensors on the intake manifod.
And saying what the job of the 02 sensor, thus a proper scanner can read it. And help diagnose an issue.

And just because you have a code for the map sensor, that doset alwasys mean it needs replacing. But related to it.
Low or high voltage to/ from the idol control valve senor can throw a code mate!
So what part arnt you happy with to quote me and say otherwise?
Great first post ... :poop:

Oh my but ok
Firstly ICS is not a sensor it's a solenoid ? Stepper motor.
Secondly yes a voltage reading outside set parameters will throw a code but you wrote it measures and in fact it measures nothing? It's an air bleed valve is all.
Very missleading for a novice don't you think?
After all not everyone has your field of expertise remember? Task can be daunting enough for a novice, incorrect info just complicates it further
Not sure what the number of posts has to do with it but I feel sure you will enlighten me

Troutman said:
Evening All,

I have seen some posts on this forum recently where people were talking about using DIY engine scan tools on their vehicles. These tools allow you to read engine diagnostic reports, discover faults by code, clear check engine lights etc. I've been doing a bit of research on these tools recently (yes my check engine light is on at the moment) and have found that they vary in price from under $20.00 up to many thousands of dollars. Am interested in anyone's experiences with the lower cost versions which can be carried in the toolbox and used out in the field etc.

One model that has caught my eye is the Autel AL519 which sells for about $90.00 on eBay. Found an apparent independent review on this one which rates it highly, better than some much more expensive models. Autel the company (yes I have noted the "Au" in the name) seems to be a Chinese company making a large range of scan tools from low cost to quite expensive ones and I had never heard of them until this present interest.

Any info from forum members is welcome.

Cheers,
Troutman :) :) :trophy: :trophy:

Not sure if this has been covered but thought I would drop in my opinion.
A good diagnostic machine is not cheap, mainly for the compatibility factor. The cheap ones can get you some information, but they are usually limited to only a few vehicle manufacturers. Also the functionality of a scan tool is severely limited with the cheap OBDII scanners.
Then there is also compatibility issues. Our SnapOn scanner has a box with every different plug for every different car out there. Our Tech2 only does Holdens with the current software. Our GEM Scantool does most Aussie cars, but has no adaptors. Many cars are different, and they do not all use the standard OBDII plug. Then some need a separate power source.

You get what you paid for really does apply here. In saying that, if all you want is your code (number) then sometimes you can do a manual code read with just a paper clip and paper/pen. (I haven't done this in a long time, no need to when you have scan tools handy). Or you can just use a cheap scan tool that works on your model. But keep in mind that some cheap scan tools will not show logged codes or history codes but rather only pending (current) codes.

OBDII Bluetooth dongles are probably a better alternative to a cheap stand alone scanner as they will allow you more options via software you use with it. And there are plenty of them.

However I will still advice that nothing beats a decent scan tool. And they are never 'cheap'.

Good luck and hope that I have been some help

Yes true, it is just a solenoid, and when malfunctioning, you probably wont need a check engine light to notice something is wrong.
But you might not know if it is getting the correct volts without a multi meter or a proper diagnostic scanner.
Re/ measure, yes I did include that in the intake manifold sensors. Incorrect.... yes my bad. But I was explaining how from there on the o2 was the only other sensor generally that measures mixtures after induction.

Wishfull said,

It seems that a lot of the early Commodore and Falcon models are not supported with many of the readers. Anyone know of a good scanner for these ?

Get an ELM327 scanner from ebay for about $10 and download Forscan onto your lap top or smartphone and it will read ford AU's and BA's ok. I have no firsthand knowledge about the commodores but it works on my 2 BA's and my sons AU.
Forget using the disc that is supplied with the ELM327 just download Forscan from the net. I have the hard wired one but these are hard to get now, most are bluetooth setups now.
Black-Pete

Latest posts