Engine Scan Tools - Recommendations and Reviews

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be aware with running elm327 scanners permanently, they can do things like enable engine fan constantly on, which can be part of the diagnostic routine inbuilt.
Problem with this is it will severely decrease the life of your engine fan.

Also, when using true scan tools, you will also get options to program features on and off and update the software in your vehicle. Obviously this only applies to later model cars but even a 2006 car will have this standard. Software updates can and do fix a lot of problems as well, but will not fix a part failure unfortunately. lol

Another good tool to use is a Relim Code book. Handy when you do not have the internet around, or if there is not too much info on a particular code.

Please be aware of "Ghost Codes", and "Knock on effect Codes". They are common and can cause people to spend countless hours down the wrong path, and investing hundreds of dollars in unneeded parts.

If you unsure, just take your car down to a good reputable Auto Electrician, they should be able to run a diagnostic on your vehicle for no more than $80 and give you an answer to any engine light issues.

If you unsure, just take your car down to a good reputable Auto Electrician, they should be able to run a diagnostic on your vehicle for no more than $80 and give you an answer to any engine light issues

On a good happy day.

This is my scan tool. fcar is the brand. $6500 cost. It scans all world cars, earth moving machinery and all trucks etc. Plus i have to pay for udates on current models and new generation models for the latest functions. As you can see that there is alot of different connections for different systems aswell. Scan tools will bring up fault codes thats easy. But to diagnose the problem is anouther feild all together. A genuine work shop manual is the only way to get the correct info. gregories and hayes manuals are ok for general specs. factory manuals are alot more detailed in diagnostic info. The internet has some clues aswell, but alot of this information is misinformation. factory scan tools will have more functions than what my scan tool is capable of. Technology is growing fast and you have to keep up with it. long live carburetors, and mechanical diesel pumps i say.
1544320288_rps20181209_125117_368.jpg
1544320359_rps20181209_125214_727.jpg

Latest posts