Elaine Gold trip 2

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This trip, the brother in Law and I went out to Dolly's creek and Mt Doran(both next to Elaine VIC). Dolly's creek was cool, but didn't find a thing, except for 3 old screws in the creek wash. You can see how they could find sapphires down there, but we were keen to try out our spot in Mt Doran.

Last time we were out there we found a ridge with a bucket load of quartz on top, and my theory was that would be a likely source for gold, which would flow down to the valleys. Found some lead, but no gold.

We had a look round a few mullock heaps, near some old workings and an old dry dam. Found a few more slugs, but there were so many detector holes, it must have been turned over pretty well.

The two most interesting find of the day were, an old metal sign that said "No GOLD HERE, ROB and DAVE" and what might be a chunk of hematite.

Brother in Laws SDC found some very small bits of shot, which my F1A4 couldn't sniff, but who wants gold that small anyway? :)

Next time I think we need to put in a bit more leg work, and get way from the tracks a bit.

Gday Marauder,
Both those places have been hit really hard over the years so you do need to think outside the square a little bit.
ie : where the diggings are, have you studdied the type of ground they are in, have you raked those area's between the mulloch heaps and run your sdc low and slow, did you try the boundries of known diggings and gone beyond them methodically.
Definitely get away from the tracks as most people are pretty lazy and only look for what they consider are easy pickings.
So much more could be said but there is plenty of information on this forum.
And gold is GOLD know matter how large or small.
Don't give up and good luck next time.
Cheers Steve :)

Thanks Stoyve.

Good advice. Trying to compare the geology maps with google maps but its hard to get them to line up

Google research and geology maps are an important tool for success and so is Trove.
If you conbine these with foot work you will be surprised at how much potential ground you have missed in the past.
There is still so much ground to cover.
Cheers Steve :)

Latest posts