Eating Carp and other "delicacies"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got a dam full of carp on my property I’m going to give it a go those little pieces of fried floured carp looked delicious I hope they taste just as good.

Sometimes fish from a dam will taste muddy anyway. Hopefully they are nice but it might not be a good indication of the flavour of fish from a flowing stream.

I will try the ice water trick I might do it next weekend fried fish with salt and a squeeze of lemon should be nice I will let you all know how it goes cheers

I will try the ice water trick I might do it next weekend fried fish with salt and a squeeze of lemon should be nice I will let you all know how it goes cheers
Have a look at the youtube that I posted as #1 here - and please do let us know.

It is not the only fish that is spoilt unless immediately put on ice, and if not filleted properly.

Eastern Europeans are mostly not desperate for food, and it is a special Christmas dinner treat. I suspect the issue is partly preventing the release of histamines into the flesh, partly the filleting as shown in the video above (that avoids the blood line and the numerous bones, even if it makes the fillets quite small).

https://theculturetrip.com/slovakia...tern-europeans-celebrate-christmas-with-carp/
Just discovered this thread. Carp are actually very good. Caught here in the Murrumbidgee you bleed them immediately then fillet and skin, remove the blood line then put through a mincer to take care of the bones then make fish cakes . Absolutely delicious!

Bloke I knew many years ago was a POW in Changi and he told me that cockroaches were a delicacy and very high in protein. Mackka
I heard that too. They used to crush the cockroaches up and make them into a kind of soup. Apparently they kept quite a few
hospital cases alive that way.
I have also heard of pioneers in the Australian bush eating tadpoles when they were caught short and why not. In France, frogs
legs are regarded as a delicacy and having tried them I am inclined to agree.

dunno why we should consider carp as being something to enjoy when it’s very existence in Oz is detrimental to native species, they’re shits of things, just like a fox in my book
No doubt somebody will be along in a minute to tell us how delicious properly cooked foxes are. o_O

I heard that too. They used to crush the cockroaches up and make them into a kind of soup. Apparently they kept quite a few
hospital cases alive that way.
I have also heard of pioneers in the Australian bush eating tadpoles when they were caught short and why not. In France, frogs
legs are regarded as a delicacy and having tried them I am inclined to agree.
I first had frogs legs at a beach market in Georgetown (Malaysia) and loved them. Next day I saw guys with bags catching them along the stinking open sewers....

Best way to keep the pest carp under control would be for everyone to eat them I’m not saying we will and should but it would definitely help keep the numbers down .my dam is full of them I don’t know how they got there I wish there was a better eating fish in there but unfortunately I’m stuck with the bloody carp so if I can make them taste delicious I will 😂

I lived in Borneo for a while, I'd gotten rid of my driver. Anway, I was heading up through Samarinda one day to go visit a client when I had my new driver pull up at a little wayside cafe so I could pick up a coupla dozen satay sticks, I'd been dropping into this little place for the last year or so whenever up that way.

I was getting out of the car to go grab the satay's when my new driver said, "oh tidak pak, tidak bugoose" (oh no sir, no good). I said, "bohong" (bullshit).

Anyway, I bought a coupla dozen, got back in the car and off we went. I'd nearly finished all the satay's when out of the blue my new driver said;
"you like dog sir?"
I said, "yeah of course I do, they're a mans best friend"
He said, "then why do you eat dog sir"?

🤮 o_O :mad:

Last edited:

Latest posts