easy pan to learn on?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
can anyone recomend a good first time panner a pan to start with?

the turbo pan looks really cool but heard it isnt as good,

was thinking maybe t5he garret 14'?

any help would be grouse thanks

Can't go wrong with the Garrett, season it up and they are good, i relearned to pan again recently and the Garrett is a pleasure to use.
All the best on the hunt!

I first pan is turbo pan seems to work OK for me .

1397023473_dpp_0020.jpg

1397023550_dpp_0024.jpg

1397023563_dpp_0034.jpg

thanks for the replys guys,

im more leaning towards the garret or estwing?

the turbopan just seems like it has to small of a bottom for my liking haha.

the garret and estwing have a large flat bottom bit of the pan which i rekon would be easyier to learn off in?

i think im gunna go with the black 12' estwing for 23$

liam1994 said:

the garret and estwing have a large flat bottom bit of the pan which i rekon would be easyier to learn off in?

I been thinking about getting a estwing as well I pan mine about 5 times with my turbo before I get no more gold

thanks yeah im not to sure looks really cool but havnt really heard anything good about them haha
anyone tryed these? pretty cheap for what the size is http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/15-Aussi...l_Mining_Equipment&hash=item461cfe1b47&_uhb=1

Colmaca said:
liam1994 said:

I been thinking about getting a estwing as well I pan mine about 5 times with my turbo before I get no more gold

i can vouch for the estwing.....a pleasure to use especially when you get down to the fines that small set of riffles just traps all the black sand and gold perfectly... go for the estwing or garrett and progress from there id say

juat purchased the 12' estwing for 23$ so if it comes befor saturday ill be off to warrendyte! haha only pan and shovel though hopefully getting or making a sluice in the future

thanks.

liam1994 said:
juat purchased the 12' estwing for 23$ so if it comes befor saturday ill be off to warrendyte! haha only pan and shovel though hopefully getting or making a sluice in the future

thanks.

Good work you won't see it this weekend I think 2 late . Bunning's sluice done me ok cheap :) I got a walbanker now :)

be surprised its in melbourne, i have had stuff turn up the next day! haha so fingers crossed.

yeah im not sure or weather to lash out and just get a river sluice for around 200 on ebay

Colmaca said:
liam1994 said:

thanks.

Good work you won't see it this weekend I think 2 late . Bunning's sluice done me ok cheap :) I got a walbanker now :)

Bendigo gold are good there quick . you should went to there shop ;)

BendigoGold
109 Watson Street
White Hills
Victoria 3550

Get some type of sieve too, will decrease your panning time and increase your productivity

instead of paying 30$ for a sieve i think ill jus make mine out of a bucket and some mesh, for under 10$ ahha and proberly does better thanks for the tip though!

Paydirt said:
Get some type of sieve too, will decrease your panning time and increase your productivity

Aagree with Greg. Get a Angus Mckirk sluice and a garrett delux set. You will gave a screen that fits all the pans and you get a snuffer bottle a nifty dvd and a few other goodies. Have a look around new home estates for plasteres or painters buckets. You can find them with lids some times. All you need then are a few tools and your set until you decide you need more gear. This will happen about 5 mins after you find your first piece of gold

Find a local store if you can. With a friendly approach and a genuine intrest, you will find the store people a great source of local knowledge. When they get to know you, you nay get a few tips and pointers that will guide you on your way to success

Cheers Tone

I have a 10" Estwing pan I bought for cleanups and don't use it that much, I also have some 10" steel pans.
I use the back wash method similar to the method that Liz uses and find the bigger flat based pans better for this.
I use a 14" Klondike pan that I bought from Miner Den Parramatta and this is my main pan.

Cheers
Mick

Garret. You'll never go back. 14 inch super sluice. Prospector in garret range always comes out on site. Pan with those and you really can't go wrong. Excellent grip, concave centres, 90 degree infection riffle pattern. Gold keepers those green pans. But all pans have their good and bad points. The turbo has it's place but i hated it.

Latest posts