Eagle Beagle

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys Im heading up to lake Burrendong at Easter and hope to break my drought and find a nugget or two.
Is there any members here that would like to give a few tips or stories about the eagle beagle creek? Or even be around the area at that time for a catch up and a bit of swinging?
Cheers greg

G'day Greg,

It's been a well known and well worked area for many years, but the best advice I could offer is to take an SDC as the nugs still left about are quite small and fairly shallow -with the odd exception of those deeper gram+ bits here and there.

Be aware that the junk can get very tedious to say the least. The amount of fishing gear and camping rubbish we've dug out over the last ten years there is in the realms of insanity. :lol:

We ended up with a total there on last years trip of 466 nugs for 130gm with just over 4000 junk targets for our efforts. That's posted over in the show and tell thread somewhere. :Y:

Good luck out there. The scenery alone is worth it's weight in gold!
Cheers,
Shauno.

EDIT: Here's the EB report from last year- http://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=434380#p434380

Wow thats a fair few nugs and a lot of trash lol
I dont have an sdc but I do have a 4500 equipped with a 9 coilteck that seems pretty damn sensitive so I might be able to pin something small.
Thanks again shauno

Syndyne said:
G'day Greg,
We ended up with a total there on last years trip of 466 nugs for 130gm with just over 4000 junk targets for our efforts. That's posted over in the show and tell thread somewhere. :Y:

That's still a nugget every 10 holes or thereabouts. Not bad odds :Y:

With my last few trips of detecting coming up empty handed Ill be happy with just one nugget.
466 just blows my mind ... kind of makes me think I been doing something wrong this whole time :lol:

I hear that! After many years of digging junk you definitely start to ask yourself a few questions.

I found my first couple of nugs at EB with a Sadie on the 5000 and I've seen many do very well with the GPX's there over the years.

Don't forget to check out the Stuart Town Common while you're in the area. The speccie gold is very nice. :perfect:

Northeast said:
That's still a nugget every 10 holes or thereabouts. Not bad odds :Y:

For sure NE!

Some days were worse, some better, but that was a pretty average ratio for that trip overall. The worst day was around 150ish junk targets compromising mostly bird shot and tiny bits of rusty junk. Not a bit of yellow to be seen. That was a loooong day...

I still have about 2/3 of the junk here. I'll sort it out and post a shot if I can manage to sift the dirt out without losing to many bits. It's enough to send shivers up any detectorists spine! :lol:

hey Syndyne, Ive seen the term 'common' pop up a few times. What exactly is it that you guys over there refer to as a common. Is it a 'common' sports ground, just Public Open space or similar? Not a term used in WA!

A Common is an area of Crown land set aside for the use of the people of a Town or Village. It is controlled by a Common Trust Board that is made up of members of the local community who are members of the Common.

The size of a Common varies from location to location. Here in Hill End / Tambaroora, our Common is approx 11 km long by 3 km wide.

The Common Trust are able to set rules for the use of the Common. IE. Wether you can cut and collect firewood, Camp or light fires. If you can fossick or not etc.

Digginholes said:
Wow thats a fair few nugs and a lot of trash lol
I dont have an sdc but I do have a 4500 equipped with a 9 coilteck that seems pretty damn sensitive so I might be able to pin something small.
Thanks again shauno

The 9" Coiltek might get you a piece or 2 Greg, last time there I managged to get a 0.1 piece with my 5000 and 15x12 commander mono. A few others with the SDC too. As Shauno said, lots of trash can make it difficult and it has been flogged hard over the years but there certainly is some gold still there to be found.

It's also a really nice and quiet spot to spend a few days as well, very picturesque having a view out over the lake.

Latest posts