Dunolly and Moliagul prospecting / detecting information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. I have been browsing through a heap of info.....(we are complete newbies) .....and came across Dunolly. Any members been detecting and camping in this area? :)

Dunolly is a great spot in the heart of big nugget country. For travelers it is as good as any other spot around the golden triangle, however it doesn't have the sightseeing appeal of lets say Castlemaine or Maldon. Because of its history of larger gold being found with detectors, unfortunately it is the spot that just about every man and his dog hits when they first get a detector. Very professional operators have also worked the are very hard in the past and some still do. I guess what I am trying to say is the gold is pretty thin on the ground now days. With that said, there is no way that it could all have been covered. So there is still a chance like anywhere else. The history of the area is also worth the trip and it is located in an area were it is easy to branch out to other gold producing areas from your location at Dunolly. If and I do say if you are hoping to find that big nugget then Dunolly is one of the spots were it just might happen as it was a big nugget area.

Thanks for your reply! We are the newest of newbies and have been looking forward to purchasing a detector for quite some time, and, I think from what you have just told us we may well go and spend a day or two in the area. We haven't spent any time around there, so it's always good to see new places, gold or not! Thanks again, will let you know if we go!

Hey Mick & Anne,
Great place to be this time of year now flies, no heat, soft ground and no snakes. I have only got back from the area and was there for a week.
Picked up 17 bits largest was 1.72gm smallest was less than .1gm, have been working the same spot now for some time (7 months ) with good results. I am using a GPX5000 that I purchased last August and I must say the more I go out with it the more I am getting.
I say grab a good detector and start swinging, I have picked up gold on the slopes around mullock heaps and broken river banks. But you will find the sweet spot one day.

cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, we might only have a day or so this trip but we will try to get there...it sounds great! Did you camp?

Hello everyone and a Happy New Year.I am swinging a 5000 with a 12'' coiltek mono coil.Does anyone have any advice on this coil being adequate for the ''hot'' ground conditions in this area,of course larger nuggets are the target.I am new to Australia,new to detecting,new to the forum,and am buzzing to be here.Cheers.

yes - it is fine for the ground around Dunolly. If you are new to the 5000, I would stick pretty much with the factory presets. Probably play around with the gain and stabiliser if it gets too noisy. The GPX series were designed with the high mineralisation you are facing in mind and the 4500 and 5000 are great for the area. The ground is super hot this time of the year and will take awhile to cool down. As you are aware, you cannot discriminate with a mono and there is a lot of ferrous junk around Dunolly - you will just have to bear with it unless you get a DD coil. I suppose you have Tullys maps? They are a rough guide and anywhere on them (Crown land) is a chance. I think a few of the forum members may be at the Dunolly caravan park by the looks of some of the posts.

loamer said:
yes - it is fine for the ground around Dunolly. If you are new to the 5000, I would stick pretty much with the factory presets. Probably play around with the gain and stabiliser if it gets too noisy. The GPX series were designed with the high mineralisation you are facing in mind and the 4500 and 5000 are great for the area. The ground is super hot this time of the year and will take awhile to cool down. As you are aware, you cannot discriminate with a mono and there is a lot of ferrous junk around Dunolly - you will just have to bear with it unless you get a DD coil. I suppose you have Tullys maps? They are a rough guide and anywhere on them (Crown land) is a chance. I think a few of the forum members may be at the Dunolly caravan park by the looks of some of the posts.
Thanks Loamer,you are spot on with the ground noise,I have a DD which was supplied with the detector.I'll give that a go 1st thing.I will also look at Tullys maps as I am working with a Doug Stone map book which I bought in Bendigo.Happy Hunting.Cheers.

Tullys are better due to the scale. I know they are not topos but the leads usually follow the ground contours of gullies and the like. Tullys maps are about $20 and are generally OK and the crown land markings are usually correct (Stones has some major errors). The DD should calm things down a lot.

loamer said:
Tullys are better due to the scale. I know they are not topos but the leads usually follow the ground contours of gullies and the like. Tullys maps are about $20 and are generally OK and the crown land markings are usually correct (Stones has some major errors). The DD should calm things down a lot.
Cheers Loamer,I now have a Tully map book and am back at it.Alternating between coils.

First up make sure you have a Miners Right, cheap at around $17 - $18, that will give you some initial info on where you can/can't prospect.
Check that info and the related website.
Cheers T.

JordieGundersen said:
Hey guys,
How do you know where you are allowed to fossick and where not. (Appart from the obvious)
Thanx
Jordie :|
Real easy answer... buy a Prospecting map. John Tully maps are good enough.
This forum has PLENTY of info. Have a look around it and enjoy.
Also, WELCOME!

Mick and Anne said:
Hi. I have been browsing through a heap of info.....(we are complete newbies) .....and came across Dunolly. Any members been detecting and camping in this area? :)

Not sure why you want to start with Dunolly, depending on where you live you may be passing areas that can be just as productive, then again if you want to check out a region and detect while there then why not, as good a place as any to start.
For around $20 you can get either a Tully or Stone map, the Tully ones are better in my view.
Again check your Miners Right for restrictions (all states have different regulations, Vic. doesn't have "designated fossicking" or "GPA" listed areas as they do in NSW/Qld.
Cheers T.

Oh ... have sent you a PM with some known gold spots.

Hi, also a newbie and thinking of taking a few days off work to go and hire an SDC 2300 (because it seems easiest to use) and hit the GT. I was also thinking of Dunolly, but also possibly Wedderburn or Enfield State Forest. Are any of these likely to be better than the others? I've got some geological maps that I've overlaid on Google Earth for each of those areas ...

Gday all, :)

I am purchasing a GPZ 7000 this weekend and am really keen to hit a few areas I have in mind. ;) :D :D
I have not detected before but I have been chasing alluvial gold for a while :lol:
I am going to purchase some John Tully maps when I get the GPZ to help me ;)
but.....

Teemore, any chance you might be able to elaborate on "known gold areas" in Dunolly?? ;) ;) :rolleyes: :D

I am going to check out whipstick and paddy's ranges over the next few weeks but Dunolly is on my hit list too!!!!

If anybody else can help with info regarding these areas I would really appreciate it :) :D

madhatter said:
Gday all, :)

Teemore, any chance you might be able to elaborate on "known gold areas" in Dunolly?? ;) ;) :rolleyes: :D

If anybody else can help with info regarding these areas I would really appreciate it :) :D

Sorry MH, don't have any marked spots for those areas, like you I rely on the Tully books, anywhere you find old diggings should hold gold, have to remember that part of Paddy Ranges Park is off limits to detecting.

Might pay to purchase a small piece of the stuff, bury it at various levels to learn what the detector is telling you.

Most retailers offer trading courses, take advantage of them to ensure you use the GPZ to its full advantage.

Cheers T.

Hi Teemore, :)
Thanks for the advise and quick reply :D

I have researched and saw that Paddy's Range is partially restricted, but.... thanks for the heads up ;) :)
I am booked in for the 3hr training session at the miners den (Bendigo) in 2 weeks, cant wait!!

Latest posts