Dry Washers for Vic

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the looks of the local offering you posted above might be time better served in your neck of the woods. I would be happy to play tag along just to get a feel for them. There are many good YouTube videos but its not the same.

I bought the Keene 140 for dry ground in Queensland, the top 3" of dirt works fine, but
as you dig deeper the moisture beats the principle of air passing the screen.
When you hit the clay were the gold is you have to spread material out on a
tarp to dry and then process twice. I break the clay balls up with a battery impact
hammer with a plate welded to it, I then put this through again to get the last of
the fine gold.
If you have access to water the highbanker puts through volumes of material
more compared to the dryblower, when the puddle of water dries up you have
to dryblow or carry many bkt's of dirt home!

Yeah I am looking to get a unit asap may try my hand at making one depends on how much time i got on my hands, But yes i would agree always get the biggest unit you can afford or able to effectivly work when it comes to prospecting

gchauv said:
I bought the Keene 140 for dry ground in Queensland, the top 3" of dirt works fine, but
as you dig deeper the moisture beats the principle of air passing the screen.
When you hit the clay were the gold is you have to spread material out on a
tarp to dry and then process twice. I break the clay balls up with a battery impact
hammer with a plate welded to it, I then put this through again to get the last of
the fine gold.
If you have access to water the highbanker puts through volumes of material
more compared to the dryblower, when the puddle of water dries up you have
to dryblow or carry many bkt's of dirt home!

Can understand your conditions , there is another device being developed to overcome those problems , stay tuned :)

Hi all,

I to am dead keen to grab one of these on my next trip down south :) I've got two strong sons that could shovel all day, and there's heaps of unprocessed mullock heaps here waiting to be processed. Moisture isn't a problem here (Central Aust.) the ground is very dry the lack of a reliable water supply drove most of the old timers away.

my question is would the 140 keep up with them or should I get something bigger?

Jim & Kerrie

The 140 is plenty big enough to keep two blokes busy, the 151 is huge and could handle 3-4 blokes.

DD

The 140 is really a 1 man shoveling at a moderate rate kind of unit Jim & kerrie maybe tge 151 would be more suited.

Gt happy to take you out locally anytime mate

Gchauv mate I feel your pain nothing worse than damp clay especially when you know what colour it has, I run my clay anyway then rerun twice but I drop tye material from a great height onto the grizzly which seems to dry ut out pretty good. You need to be careful with the stock fabric that comes with a keene because it apparently clogs easily with damp material I use a blue 80/20 synthetic cotton blend that has a bit more bite ij it.

G0lddigg@ said:
Diggerdude said:
The 140 is plenty big enough to keep two blokes busy, the 151 is huge and could handle 3-4 blokes.

DD
Lol guess it depends on who you dig with ;)

Haha, I know mate, should have said two average blokes. I use mine on my own as you seen in the vid, bit more shovel leaning time when ya have a mate ;)

DD

Jim, you can safely get a 140, the amount of continious work involved is immense, its the untold truth to it.
there is a great deal to do on the run, but like all tools a system forms quickly. having 3 of you digging, processing and prep
would work hands down, if you for what ever reason believe bigger is best, ( goldiggs and i believe this :p ) then look at a Keene 151.
you wont keep up with it but in terms of processing good material it only helps you to recover more gold in the heaps you speak of.

Hey Digger, to anser the noise and starting a fire thing, mate.........seriously, dont look too far into it, if you prepare your work area to be safe then there is no chance of a fire starting, as GD stated, all machines by laws standard should have the arrestor fitted, and noise, im yet to come across a pump, be it 4 or 2 stroke that is silent. its the nature of the beast, and ear muffs work a treat to combat the noise :)

so its a personal preference, i like the concept, method and end result.

in saying that, i must go dig :)

Hi Keepondiggin
Go back and read what I said,my point that it would excuse for parks and greens to ban them.
I was there back in the days of days for the fight to retain dredging,and the BS that was put up by the opposition to us,several us were on ABC country wide,then the crap appeared when they cut down access to box iron forest in Victoria,so what I am pointing out to you through experience what happens if you do not think your actions through.
Put it this way I have been around bit,I have been in the gold game for 35years,and it has taken wide and far.

What I am say "Tread carefully"

The Digger

If any of you guys plan a Dry blowing day I am keen as to get over there and join in. I am hooked on these things.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt, Golddigga and i spoke out this earlier on the phone and believe a day out
is a go, the where and when bit......
to be continued............

KoD

Hi Keepondiggin
Go back and read what I said,my point that it would excuse for parks and greens to ban them.
I was there back in the days of days for the fight to retain dredging,and the BS that was put up by the opposition to us,several us were on ABC country wide,then the crap appeared when they cut down access to box iron forest in Victoria,so what I am pointing out to you through experience what happens if you do not think your actions through.
Put it this way I have been around bit,I have been in the gold game for 35years,and it has taken wide and far.
What I am say "Tread carefully"
The Digger

"Tread Carefully"
do you think i sit at the computer all day mate??
kinda sounded like a threat in a non direct way.
i too prospect often, actually on a daily basis, so dont for a second judge me for my comments when it was you who
chipped in with your, what we say in Australia.

think your actions through?? like have water on hand, like make sure you have a space cleared that you deem safe to eliminate that of a freak event starting a fire........... maybe its you who needs to tread carefully with that attitude you have :)

KoD

Jim. said:
Hi all,

I to am dead keen to grab one of these on my next trip down south :) I've got two strong sons that could shovel all day, and there's heaps of unprocessed mullock heaps here waiting to be processed. Moisture isn't a problem here (Central Aust.) the ground is very dry the lack of a reliable water supply drove most of the old timers away.

my question is would the 140 keep up with them or should I get something bigger?

Jim & Kerrie

With your 2 sons helping i would go the 150. Makes sense to move as much dirt as you can if you have the man power to do so

Hi KoD
Settle down,all I am trying to point out we are very easy targets,perhaps I should have said we must"ALL"tread carefully
A friend was given permission to use sluice on a mining claim.water was running down under the road,only took a day,and the mining company said they some complaints,so they in turn did not want handle any complaints from higher up,so he was stopped.Take the cattle in the high country,another easy target,but they forget the deer ,pigs,goats,dogs.
If you ever get a chance to read the inquire in the dredging and the box iron bark,the claims there were loopy,but these people have unlimited funds,just looking for targets,now you might see my point,like they say make you fill your holes in.

That is the way I see things.

The Digger

Hi all,

Thanks for the sound advice regarding dry blowers and which one to purchase. I think I'll go the 140, as the wife and I generally poke around with our 3500, I dig she swings :) the purchase of a dry blower would only be for my boys to use (as they are getting very interested in prospecting) and occasionally for me and the wife to have a go. I also like the option of being able to vacuum bedrock and crevices with the vac accessories that come with the 140.

Any other input would be greatly appreciated :)

Jim & Kerrie

I bought a Gold Buddy - Large and use a Stihl blower, Finding the flexible hose was the real challenge. Ended up with 80mm lay flat irrigation hose and a 90 degree pvc elbow to get the air to the machine. This all folds down nice and flat when packing away but you need to make sure you get a straight line to the machine so not to restrict the airflow. A cable tie is used for the throttle control and works well. Two of us working in the heat and dust were not capable of keeping the material up to the machine. We would dig for 15 minutes, shovel and screen and then start the GB until the machine had processed all the diggings. Recovered enough gold to pay for the machine several times. Best effort was 10 grams in a day working solo. Wish every day could be like that. The worst thing is that the dirt gets shoveled three times, 1st into the buckets, then onto the machine and then away from the machine. Bets thing is how good a cold beer tastes at the end of the day. :)

Latest posts