Down the beach with the Sovereign

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess anyone with a tv would know that the east coast of NSW was bashed by storms over the past couple of days... Our local beaches saw 5 meter plus swells ... So naturally i just had to get down there as soon as humanly possible to check things out ,this arvo :p
The seas are still pretty big and it is freezing cold(shorts and t shirt were not the best choice ). I got down there around 6pm.... Low tide was at 9pm... I left just after 10pm.
I couldnt get down as low as i would have liked because the water was still pushing up quite high due to the swell.
Quite disappointed really as all the crusty coins were from the lowest reaches that i could get to and work in. Since these coins were mostly the lighter smaller coins .... From my understanding the heavier goodies would likely have been just out of my reach ,a little further out :(
I did manage to score $12.30 and another condom :D
1413375192_image.jpg

Hopefully the swell drops off quickly allowing access to the lower reaches , unfortunately the tides get later too though, but will try to have another go tomorrow night

And you must have enough condoms for that big night in now (no tax on that when you find them for free Sandta).
oh,...and do not forget to try up high when it rips out the beach,...that's also a good spot(top spot to find condoms)(ha).

I started up high ... Following the high tide line, gradually working my way down to the water
It was quite easy to grid systematically as i only saw two other sets of foot prints :p
IT WAS BLOODY FREEZING OUT THERE!!

Sounding like two other people beat you to the beach, you gotta hit it early to beat the old boys onto it(haha). My best beach finds were at night in driving rain and howling wind with a snaplock over the ACE250 housing and one each over the earphones for weather proofing dodging waves up high on the beach(to get on it early),even though it had water over it constantly, because there was so much rain and fresh water floats on salt water the ace had no salt problems and just punched on down at full sensitivity through the lot. At that particular spot one of my researches produced a very old photo that showed a great big old wooden swing up high on the beach, you could imagine children and adults would of had that thing swinging just about upside down in the old days, so of course when it ripped there were predecimal coins everywhere(surface to full depth) and I was the first ever in on to it with a detector).

And that's how you get in early and beat the old hands(boys and girls) to it all,.....aaaahhhhahahaha.

heres a link to the photos of those finds
you have to scroll down and start at no. 11 till no. 14
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5287

It's amazing that as soon as you change detectors to the Sovereign - all the green coloured coins start popping out of the beach - you will notice you didn't find those types of coins with the Ace - mainly because the Sovereign goes deeper and with more accuracy... only a matter of time before the gold starts appearing frequently!

Got down to the beach around 5pm ... Much cooler , nice sea breeze blowing
Not ideal tides , started just below the high tide line and worked my way up into the dry sand
Didnt do too bad ... $15.35 including a hand full of crusty coins all from a patch about midway up the beach
1413717006_image.jpg

And another 925 ring
1413717049_image.jpg

I also found a fancy mobile phone ... Who evers mum has tried to call but i cant figure out how to answer it :8
Its also locked so i cant ring her either :rolleyes:
Hopefully the battery doesnt run out before i figure out how to answer it , hope she rings again

Mate!! You are the ring master! All those rings have my mouth watering. They must be a highlight of ur excursion. What readings do you generally get for rings or do they differ?

Gday TM , my detector doesnt have a display , only go by sounds
As the beach is easy to dig/scoop i pretty well dig all targets , although i think i have worked out what a whole can is ;) i got sick of digging them at 3 foot deep real quick :mad:

Got an early mark today... so went straight down to the beach ... Low tide allowed me to get right down there
First couple of targets were pull tabs then the car key.... Then the ring :D
I cant see any markings , the stone is definately an opal , but i think only a doublet at best. :(
1414148589_image.jpg

1414148635_image.jpg

Will try to clean it and get a better look
1414148560_image.jpg

All the coins ,$10.20, were just above the water line ... And all within a 3 meter circle.
I then moved down to another part of the beach, and found all these sinkers .... Also grouped together within about the same area
1414149126_image.jpg

The car was a bonus as i was leaving

Hey TM, if a stone(i know its done with opals , not sure with others ) is not big enough to cut as a solid piece , a base /backing is added to bulk it up ( the base can be mounted/ set in jewellery and not seen) being a doublet. if the stone is only a thin sliver it can be mounted on a base and then capped with a clear ? glass maybe , this would be a triplet . It may be a bit more technical than that , but thats basically it.

Went back down the beach again this arvo ... I missed the low tide by about 2hours but still managed to find another patch of crusty coins again quite close together. All but 2 of the $2 were found in the same patch.
1414231189_image.jpg

When i first got there i went to the same area i found the ring yesterday ... Thats where all the ring pulls and caps were.
The other 2x $2 were in the dry sand on the way back to the car.

Dont be silly ... Theres plenty for everyone
Ive basically been concentrating on Newcastle beach only. As recommended by Team Bogan im trying to stick to the one beach to get a better understanding of how things work . Locating the coin patches in the scalloped out/lower sections.
I regularly see another older guy detecting there too . We stop and compare notes , have a bit of show n tell.
As i generally head straight down to the water ,i usually dont end up with a much as he finds up in the dryer sand ,

Is the ring moat likely silver, bit hard to tell from the coating? Keep them coins flowing, might have enough soon for a mega collection of detector coils. ;)

Latest posts