Doug Stone's NSW gold atlas and maps information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine was given to me.a dark green book with gold writing on it that says dept of mines nsw.i don't know if there able to be purchased as i have never come across anything like it.it seems to be pretty accurate.as it gives detailed directions on where lease's were.and i have found colour where they said it was.

I don't think you can go past local knowledge personally. The Doug Stone guides are good starting points but i would encourage anyone to do their own research on top of them. I'm personally thankful that the DS map of my local goldfield/region does not show all of the diggings and gold bearing locations, but thats not to say that with a bit of research they cant be found.

For those that may want to overlay GIS Data over Google Earth.

http://
vimeopro.com/gsnsw/demovideos/video/55239752

Thinking to buying my son a book on NSW(really closest to Sydney) as he recently caught the fever. He wants a highbanker next year. Would this be the best book or is there another that would be more suitable, keeping in mind we would only be panning, sluicing and eventually highbanking.

Thanks for any advice,
Phantom

Seems to be good for showing the general area to get started.then combine info from the book and google, trove,dept mines and ask questions on here.someone will help get you on to some colour

Its like the tully maps I reckon. If they only went another km or so we would all love it. You know where the maps end and you think, that cant be it surely. !!
I often have a poke around but you can't be sure where any more diggings etc may be located in the nearby vicinity unless you foot it in all directions to find out I suppose.
I know where we detect in the GT a bit of the land we go on detecting is not on any of the stone or tully maps. Theres heaps of other land not covered either.
How does one find out about that !! Research I suppose. Im not lazy either I just mean that there are lots of goldfields that are off the radar because no one has mapped them yet. Could be an opportunity there for some enterprising persons.
GT :)

I had a quick look at one when I was in miners den, couldn't see much around Oberon

goldtruck59 said:
Its like the tully maps I reckon. If they only went another km or so we would all love it. You know where the maps end and you think, that cant be it surely. !!
I often have a poke around but you can't be sure where any more diggings etc may be located in the nearby vicinity unless you foot it in all directions to find out I suppose.
I know where we detect in the GT a bit of the land we go on detecting is not on any of the stone or tully maps. Theres heaps of other land not covered either.
How does one find out about that !! Research I suppose. Im not lazy either I just mean that there are lots of goldfields that are off the radar because no one has mapped them yet. Could be an opportunity there for some enterprising persons.
GT :)

Thank your lucky stars goldtruck that there's not too many enterprising chaps out there mapping the less known gold fields, or the perimeters of the main fields. That's what keeps the dream alive for those willing to go the extra yards and leaves some very productive nugget areas for those with perseverance. Keep the masses confined to the published maps I say.... ;)

Wal.

Your absolutely spot on wal.
The thrill of the chase is still the biggest
factor for me when I go out, and the harder
to find the more satisfying and greater
the reward if your successful.
Cheers Steve

goldtruck59 said:
Theres heaps of other land not covered either.
How does one find out about that !! GT :)

On wet days we used to drive tracks and look/see.
There are many places not listed on all the maps available.
You have to stumble over them, or look at likely geological areas and confine your
ground search to that area.
When we drove tracks JT was still compiling his maps. Every day out on his
m/bike with his GPS.
Every track on his maps he rode. He used to come back to the CP knackered.

Ausniper, on the back (or spine) of your book should be an "ISBN" which is a bookseller's means of identifying a book so they may source one for customers. That might help people obtain the book.
In my area the State Forests has "Harvest Plans" which have maps in them. On those maps are any old mine sites & Historical sites (if any exist on that particular map.) The local Office should be able to photocopy any maps you wish (in A3 size) & in colour for around $2.00, I then get them laminated so they last longer.
Hope this helps, Keith.

I will have a look when i get home i am working 5 weeks straight at the moment.i agree with you wal published maps see alot of people go there some find gold some walk all over it and walk away empty handed.most of the places i go are not listed.but the few places i have tried from my info has produce colour and would warrent further prospecting.i am not going to have much time spare this year,80-90 hr weeks will do that.lol.so i have long abandoned chasing large stuff because it is mostly not there for me.no 1 oz nuggets regularly for me .i do think that the doug stone atlas combined with an internet connection would be great for newcomers to this hobby.but the seasoned prospector will be the guy prospecting in places which people might say are foolish or what the hell is he looking for gold there for.now what i mean :D

Yep your spot on Wal best leave the unchartered areas as you say for those that do the foot slogging, the yards and the homework :)

Just bought the doug stone gold atlas for wa online. When it turns up I'll let you know what I think. I don't expect any magic from it but as others have stated I will use it as a guide in addition to my online research. Being unfamiliar with WA's goldfields and heading over there in a week the idea is to have a start point as I scramble to catch up and get my geo maps, tengraph research etc up to scratch.

Im interested to hear of everyone's opinions on this book. The good, the bad and the crap.
For me, just looking at it i dont think i can take it as gospel. Seems to miss alot of information.
However it can be used as basis to start your research. On an area but thats about it.
But for me its definitely not $125 worth.
What do you guys think?
Greg

I received a copy from Santa. My interest lies mainly in the Tuena/Abercrombie/Trunkey goldfields. Where I prospect is on private property and saw a bit of prospecting action during the gold rush era. However, this is not reflected by 'red hatching' in the atlas - in a way that is good. Otherwise, the depiction of these goldfields seems pretty much OK although my knowledge is not great.

I do have one concern that he shows crown land as 'green shaded', and in some places (quite loosely) uses the term 'public land' interchangeably with 'crown land'. Part of our farm is a long term crown lease for grazing and is shown in the atlas with 'green shading'. But in no way is it public land in the sense that prospectors have unfettered access to this land - Our crown lease is ostensibly 'private property' and trespassers are liable to be prosecuted.

I would not like users of this atlas to get the wrong idea that they can freely prospect on any land in the atlas that is shaded green. Please check first if it is vacant crown land or whether it is is subject to a crown land lease or licence.

He has a disclaimer in the VIC book, along the lines that "it does not infer access to all"

Crown Land or Public land, includes State Forrest, State Park, National Park, Conservation areas, Historical Areas etc among others.

Not all allow prospecting and this varies from state to state.

Pick an area, then check with the relevant authority if access is ok.

Yep. Also noticed some familiar areas marked as crown land. Although they are crown land they are under lease.

Doug's maps are far from complete in any state, and I believe they just reflect areas that he has chosen to pull together after some personal prospecting and checking. Even in Victoria, he has only documented one area east of Melbourne (Beechworth) and there are dozens in the east of the state. Why, I have no idea, it is possible that many of these were fine alluvial sites and not of great value for detector based prospecting, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't or won't prospect in those areas. He has many years experience with the Mines Department and became involved in detecting early, so I found that reading his book text info was handy and interesting.

He has disclaimers on almost all maps that I have looked at that say "this map does not provide or imply access to Mining Leases, Pastoral Leases, Aboriginal Land, Freehold Land or Crown Land. It is the prospectors responsibility to seek permission for access"

I consider them as just one source of information that helps you to decide where you may wish to prospect. The John Tulley maps provide a bit more detail in the GT area, but again, he doesn't cover all areas in Victoria.

Rob

We purchased Doug Stone's WA gold atlas for about the same amount. The accuracy is poor, the navigation is an invitation to get lost in the desert. On the back of the book there's a little on how to read the coordinates but most maps do have any. The mud maps don't match the roads and tracks and the up side of the page is not necessarily north but that's not marked either.

Now saying that we did get enough from some of the maps to guide us to a couple of locations where we found gold. Yes there's some value in the book but the maps and lack of navigational detail are so poor that they could lead people into a dangerous situation. If he truly new these areas even coordinates from Google Earth would be enough to safely guide people in and out of these desolate uninhabited areas.

Good luck with the NSW maps.

Phil

Latest posts