Dolly Potting Quartz rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twapster

Peter
Reaction score
Ok guys, from Nuggets post saying the quartz rock he crushed had no visible gold but still found gold in the pan......am I missing out here? Should I be crushing quartz to find the honey pot? Never done it, been near some really quartz areas that just looked prime for gold, but no luck. Would crushing the rock indicate I should stay further and investigate?

I'd say give it a go mate, you never know what might show up.

Some of the quartz I'm crushing at the moment contains dark grey and brown inclusions / seems, when crushed and panned off it leaves black sand in the pan along with small traces of fine gold. I'm guessing the gold is contained within these inclusions rather than the actual quartz composition.

Here's a pic of what I mean.

1394008860_quartz.jpg

I'll crush some more tomorrow and show a before and after pic.

I might jump in on this too if i may... I've found an area that contains quite alot of loose quartz in the ground, and i keep hearing about this rose or pink colored quartz being the goods, well this place has allsorts but from the bits you pick up it would seem the veins are too fine to contain anything. Should i be looking closer at the quartz samples in this pic or trying to find stuff that closer resembles that of nuggets above pic. I also come across a bit of clean looking quartz like the top left rock but the veins are dark to black rather than a pinky color. The top right is just a plain white piece for comparison (plenty of that too)
1394085657_016.jpg

The red ones certainly look nice, should we be crushing these or are we just wasting our time?

well you gan see the gold in that gear, i wanna walh over some of that... does that mean the pink stuff is not so great?

Nugget said:

Some of the quartz I'm crushing at the moment contains dark grey and brown inclusions / seems, when crushed and panned off it leaves black sand in the pan along with small traces of fine gold. I'm guessing the gold is contained within these inclusions rather than the actual quartz composition.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3/1394008860_quartz.jpg

is that a piece of pyrite or the real stuff about half way down in the piece with red circle around it...... 8)

dwt said:
Nugget said:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/3/1394008860_quartz.jpg

is that a piece of pyrite or the real stuff about half way down in the piece with red circle around it...... 8)

I only noticed it after I took the photo so I'm not sure. I didn't get to crush any today so hopefully tomorrow I'll have something to show.

Nugget said:
dwt said:
Nugget said:

I only noticed it after I took the photo so I'm not sure. I didn't get to crush any today so hopefully tomorrow I'll have something to show.

MAAAATE COME ON!!!! :eek: i couldnt sleep if that was me 8)

Yes id like to see the equipment used, could be a good campfire activity breaking up quartz to check in the morning.

Matty84 said:
well you gan see the gold in that gear, i wanna walh over some of that... does that mean the pink stuff is not so great?

it really depends on the area and what your indercators are for an example the quartz in my posts have a mineral in them called antimony the greyish blue stuff in the quartz. other areas will be diffrent and have a diffrent deposit style :)

just a tip when looking for gold pick out the most mineralized peaces you can find if the quartz looks really white and pure good chance theres little gold in it if its got any color inside and mineralized then a good chance youll find a rich reef full of gold

Twapster said:
The red ones certainly look nice, should we be crushing these or are we just wasting our time?

the red in the quartz shows that the iron inside is oxidizing like when you leave a peace of steel out in the rain it rusts :)

Latest posts