Do I need a quad bike or is there an alternative?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking bikes Z L , thanks for sharing .

Yamaha are stupid not to pay the $25000 to get the 100ag compliant , it's already got all the gear needed fitted to pass rego !
Must be because it's a 2 stroke & they have been pressured by the gutless minority :mad:

Mate's brother-in-law rode postie bikes for a living and had no idea they had low range, until Mate told him. So the brother-in-law sneaks into work early one morning and put all but his bike in to low range. Apparently there was chaos.

The early yellow and light blue ag 100 can be registered but hard to find now, hard to justify at the wreckers for $400 when it's just a frame and I got 2 of those 08 models for $200 each striped down and put maybe $350 a bike into to make brand new. If you want the ultimate prospecting bike that will do 100 can be registered and can ride 2 up look around for a TW200 there are a few other Chinese copy's around as well and still cheaper than a quad. The reason I got a quad wasn't to tow a coil I do a bit of deer stalking with the brother we both have one each & we also are planing a prospecting trip later in the year heading outback and live off the quads loaded for about 3-4 days
After this trip I might sell it and go back to a postie, I always said you could rebuild a postie underwater and ride it out!

Very interesting read. There's a few listed on bikesales.com which have low range and full rego with roadworthy.

Could you just buy a cheap run down postie (registrable) and a ct110ag and swap the number plates round or even the engine if the models differ in appearance. I know it's not legal strictly speaking but I doubt anyone would be the wiser unless they were a ct110 nut.

3000 grand for a brand new postie. Yep, I'd buy it!

If it weren't so heavy I'd take my current bike (DR650) Also a dinosaur and absolutely bullet proof

The ct110 could wreak havoc on my detecting efforts especially if there's soft sand to encounter as riding under powered motorcycles in the soft stuff is something I can't resist.

That cheep postie you speak of is a ct90 they all have hi/low same frame and you might as well say the same motor (not much difference in power) the 90 engine is a little weaker but is very mechanical' meaning a screw driver and pliers would get it running enough to save walking (not much electrical) although there not real heavy to push home at worst. if your chasing more power I've been successful in reboring the 90 cylinder to fit a Chinese pit bike piston as long as you don't go too big and Match the same crown height and pin diameter. A second hand ct90 in good shape would be worth $500, I sold 3 as parts but enough parts to build a bike from for $300 and that was a fair price. Swapping motors and plates around isn't worth looking over your shoulder, there very easy to get and work on, keep an eye on eBay!

Zuke_Lynzy said:
The early yellow and light blue ag 100 can be registered but hard to find now, hard to justify at the wreckers for $400 when it's just a frame and I got 2 of those 08 models for $200 each striped down and put maybe $350 a bike into to make brand new. If you want the ultimate prospecting bike that will do 100 can be registered and can ride 2 up look around for a TW200 there are a few other Chinese copy's around as well and still cheaper than a quad. The reason I got a quad wasn't to tow a coil I do a bit of deer stalking with the brother we both have one each & we also are planing a prospecting trip later in the year heading outback and live off the quads loaded for about 3-4 days
After this trip I might sell it and go back to a postie, I always said you could rebuild a postie underwater and ride it out!

Hello Zuke_Lynzy,

I noticed your in Victoria. I have been looking into buying a quad bike for detecting in Victoria, but a few people have informed me you can't get them registered and that they're a no go in detecting areas (state/national parks). I'm happy to spend the cash if I can ride it.

I was wondering how you go using the quad for shooting, are you riding it in vic on public land?

Cheers

Lambi

I have an old mate and they took his licence because of his health.... motorised pushbikes have been passed recently for use on our NSW public roads using no rego or licence.. It cost $180 for an 80cc kit to get him mobile.. I will be checking it out when he gets it together and rides it over.. it used to be against the law to use them in nsw and only got the ok from the RTA recently....google it up, its in black and white... I think we will be seeing a lot of these bikes getting about when the word spreads...I am not sure about the other states being ok... :)

Yeah, I have one of these cheapo 80cc engines from ebay. I think they're okay for around town. Not sure about NSW (I'm in SA) but I know these engines are not legal for street use in most states and possibly NSW. You'll notice on ebay ads they're never advertised as street legal. A power assisted bicycle by law cannot exceed 200w output or is considered a motorcycle and requires ADR compliance (fair enough) Thing is there's a bit of a loop hole at the moment in that a system has not been put in place to enable police to practically enforce and convict people of breaking this law. Proving an engine exceeds this output would require dyno testing which is hardly convenient. I'm sure it won't be long though before only selected approved power assisted engines will be legal such as the SACHS engines and electric motors. Make the most of the cheap chinese bicycle engines while you still can.

I'd like to know about quad bikes too. I know they can't be road registrable (never seen one on the street) so do prospectors in WA just take their chances riding these things or are most prospectors using quad bikes on private land?

Well quads really are only allowed on private land with permission, you cannot rec reg a quad except for tassie as far as I'm aware. And big fines if caught the sort of fines that would pay for a postie.
When im at home the quad just sits in the shed' things that don't get used get sold.
Plus there a pain in the butt to transport.
I'd be looking at something that can be road rego'd, most gold fields are not far from town so a motorized bike would be the cheapest alternative.
Most people take there chances on quads and most people get ignored because they do the right thing, but your always looking over your shoulder and the risk is always there.

Zuke_Lynzy said:
Well quads really are only allowed on private land with permission, you cannot rec reg a quad except for tassie as far as I'm aware. And big fines if caught the sort of fines that would pay for a postie.
When im at home the quad just sits in the shed' things that don't get used get sold.
Plus there a pain in the butt to transport.
I'd be looking at something that can be road rego'd, most gold fields are not far from town so a motorized bike would be the cheapest alternative.
Most people take there chances on quads and most people get ignored because they do the right thing, but your always looking over your shoulder and the risk is always there.

Hello Zuke_Lynzy,

Thanks for the reply mate. I have been working on the wife to let me buy 20 plus acres around the triangle somewhere. That's would solve the quad bike issue.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Lambi

What I'd really like would be a electric mid mount set up on my expensive mountain bike that I can't be bothered peddling anymore it's expensive for a quality battery and kit around the $1600 DIY kit, I've been on the hub motor bikes and there a bit gutless if you hit a hill.
I'd rather one of these than a gas powered motor but' hard to justify $1600 over $100 that does the same job.

kawman said:

This was in the above link :

1.Maximum power output 200 watts
Note: It is virtually impossible for a bicycle fitted with an internal combustion motor to meet this requirement because an internal combustion motor limited to 200 watts is not capable of producing enough torque to propel the bicycle. For example, the cylinder of a petrol motor specifically designed to produce no more than 200 watts (equal to 0.268 horsepower) will have a capacity of about four or five cubic centimetres, the size of a standard medical syringe.

200 watts is a joke ! most of those tiny model plane motors have more power then 200 watts :eek:

After much research and guidance thanks to some posts here I've found my weapon of choice as an exploration bike. Will be bringing her home tomorrow :) . It's light weight (70kg), has both electric and kick start, four stroke, fan fed air cooling and a 50cc donk but most of all has honda reliability. It's also successfully traversed the rough tracks of morocco and the sahara desert. They can also be bought brand new.

Introducing
s73f3510.jpg

well done mate
nuggetino said:
After much research and guidance thanks to some posts here I've found my weapon of choice as an exploration bike. Will be bringing her home tomorrow :) . It's light weight (70kg), has both electric and kick start, four stroke, fan fed air cooling and a 50cc donk but most of all has honda reliability. It's also successfully traversed the rough tracks of morocco and the sahara desert. They can also be bought brand new.

Introducing
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/12/89/14/72/s73f3510.jpg

I think the scooter purchase is brilliant! I've been having a look myself, might even get one to put in the van.

Has anyone seen the Chinese' skyteam T-rex 125cc look alright I've found a few new with rego $2000

Latest posts