Do I need a quad bike or is there an alternative?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I've had a look at the t-rex. Does look cool but I have doubts about the long term reliability. Sachs madass is another option but if you read the owner reviews it's also no good (unreliable) Also various monkey bikes and a bunch of the other 50cc 2-stoke scooters. Next to the yamaha jog (no longer in production) The honda today ticks all the boxes and my main concern due to where I'm using it is ofcourse bullet proof reliability. The reason I jumped off the ct110 is because I can't get one brand new and it'll be too heavy to rack on the back of my 4x4. I can only carry 75kg tongue weight on my 4x4 tow hitch and plan on adding a bike carrier so it's gotta be a super light weight bike.

I like the back up kick start and air cooled 4 stroke simplicity of the honda today which should cool sufficiently at slow putt around speeds being fan forced. The fact they're produced in china now doesn't phase me considering they're built to honda's specification. There's plenty of weird china brand scooters on ebay too but not willing to take my chances.

Check out this blog for some cool clips of the today out in the desert. this guy's traveled much of europe,morocco,sahara on his honda today. Reckons he took no spare parts and didn't need any repairs for over 20,000km's traveled! Loaded to the hilt he was averaging 2.35l petrol per 100km:D http://www.todayadventure.blogspot.com.au/

A good comprehensive review. first page the typing is somehow messed up but second and 3rd pages work okay.
http://www.thescooterreview.com/component/content/article/139-honda/279-honda-today-motorino-50

Picked up my baby today. Loaded it in the van by myself (so light) Unbelievable how comfy these tiny things are. A true couch on wheels (massive bucket seat) I live on a rural property so it's all dirt roads and corrugations. Despite the small tires it was surprisingly smooth over these (probably combination of soft suspension and squishy bucket seat) The tires are tubeless and yeah it's actually something I like. I do remember seeing quad bikes with a million caterpillars sticking out their tubeless tires last time I was in WA.

It's not powerful but will manage the steepest hills i could find though no more than 20km/h on some. Was very impressed it made it up at all to be honest. No dramas cruising at 55-60 on the flat dirt roads. Enough room for 2 six packs in the lockable stow away under the seat or 1 helmet:) I'm pretty damn happy with my buy. There was also a used bike for sale at the dealer with 50,000km on the clock! Dealer told me this is the norm for these scooters and it's still going strong. Just needed new brake drums, belt, tires and oil changes. Will post up some pics when I'm done mucking about on it. :D

I'm planing a quad bike trip for myself out to Tibooburra hopefully in a months time I will be camping off the bike for probably 4 days
Is anyone interested in joining me? Must have own quad and self sufficient can't give exact date as I'm still getting ready myself but around the 5-10th oct.

Interested. Yep but doubt I'll be ready in four weeks. Hoping I can get my 4x4 camper conversion done but realistically Probably be 6 weeks till I'm packed and on the road. In any case if you still happen to be up there when I head up I'd be keen for a meet up to do some detecting/ mineral exploration. Had a friend of a friend just come back from a trip to tibooburra and reckons he found zilch. Nice lad left all the gold behind for the rest of us.

Well the reason for this trip was to try a few areas that are out of reach to 4x4's just to see what may be there waiting' at this stage I'm thinking first weekend in oct as iv got a mate that wants to go to the dig tree for a few days and could drop me and the quad off on the way and meet up a few days later but plans could change just note that I'll be camping where I finish for the day as Ill be living off the quad .

Congratulations on the purchase and hope the trip goes well.

But here is an alternative I spotted just the other day :D

1409657999_img_0377.jpg

1409657999_img_0378.jpg