Do I have a problem

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Last week my husband and I went out for a couple of hours detecting, both battery's fully charged both detect the same amount of time.

I have a 4800 new he has a 5000 couple years old

I was detecting for about 20 minutes and my detector made a couple of random loud high pitched noises, I ground balanced it and within another 15 minutes done the same noise and shut down.

I started it back up it only done it once more, We were both far enough apart from each other I know it had nothing to do with the other detector no power lines or roads close.

Now we only detected for 2 hours done some testing max time 3 hours

We are heading out this morning so I put both battery's on charge last night his was charged in an hour or bit more, mine took another 3 hours seems strange to me both were running the same amount of time.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea why mine would have shut down and why I'm using so much battery power compared to his.
Has anyone had this problem.

I will test a couple of things this morning but Im not confident.

Cheers all Margaret

Sounds like it is shorting out - is it worth checking all your connections to see if they are dry and clean? If not I would send it back to Minelab. Willo

Sounds like your battery is shot. The extra 3 hours charge time for a relatively small detecting time doesn't seem good. If it happens again today try hubby's battery & see if it still happens.
If it continues give Minelab a ring Tuesday (no help now I know) & let them know what's happening. Hopefully they can get it fixed or replaced for you.
p.s. it could also be the charger so also try your hubby's charger on your battery & see if it charges correctly.

mbasko said:
Sounds like your battery is shot. The extra 3 hours charge time for a relatively small detecting time doesn't seem good. If it happens again today try hubby's battery & see if it still happens.
If it continues give Minelab a ring Tuesday (no help now I know) & let them know what's happening. Hopefully they can get it fixed or replaced for you.
p.s. it could also be the charger so also try your hubby's charger on your battery & see if it charges correctly.

As above....

It is like asking, how long is a piece of string... So may variables...

Charger / Connectors / Machine / Battery conditions / Settings on machine / headphones etc etc A problem in any on or more than one is going to cause a problem...

Hi All

So all of you were right, thanks so much.

Last week when we got to the spot I noticed dear husband didn't put the detectors in the large tool box he just had them in the back of the truck, when I picked mine up after traveling the dusty roads I noticed the pins all dusty I did think at the time this cant be good, but really just dusted them off.

So I think this Willo was right the dust was my problem and shorted me out. mmm hate that word.

And yes the charger I believe is shot because after I hit the 3 hour mark last night I changed the chargers over, 1 hour later it was charged that was the same time as the 5000 took.

I kept an eye on things this morning and may battery is holding charge and no noises or shut downs.

Thanks guys I'm much wiser now

Cheers all Margaret

Latest posts