Digging with dylanpennack23 for crystals

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after a long day out, we may not have had the greatest of finds, but had one hell of a day!

Started the day meeting at my place 8:30 we introduce each other, pack up the car and head out to the hills.

I've done a few trips out to the location a few times and have found these myself showing them to Dylan as an example:

1438156880_2015-07-28_16.42.13.jpg

Arriving at the location we throw on the gear and head straight into the mountain up the wet, slippery track on foot. I'm sure Dylan was glad I had mentioned in a PM the day before that its a possible 3km walk. ( looked at map when we got back, its 2km )

So up and away we go! It didn't take too long after walking to warm up, the track is pretty crappy, muddy and a steep drop off to one side where our creek lay. Chatting away about gold and gems, we make it to the end of the track a lot faster than expected! ( yes 2km! )

It a very scenic but slightly dangerous walk. Lots to look at and hear in the dense mountains to both sides. Mosses, birds, waterfalls and wind.

Its an old sawmill at the end and I hadn't made it that far before, so we had a look around the area and could see where possibly the waterwheel onced spun to power the massive blades.

1438157420_2015-07-29_09.36.05.jpg

We found our first location to settle and have a dig not far and threw our gear from our shoulders to the ground, Dylan diving like an olympian into the creek very keen to get going and we started to dig away like iron men.

Quick inspection before jumping in:
1438157852_2015-07-29_09.45.01.jpg

It doesn't take long here to spot some clear quartz and from memory I think my first shovel yielded a very well waterworn smokey ( he might post pics ) which said we were in the right place.

After what seemed two hours ( probably was ) Dylan yells out a hail. A very beautiful bright red / orange gem, unidentified so far ( is it: chalcedony sard, opal, agate or carnelian? )

1438158189_2015-07-29_10.51.19.jpg

1438158219_2015-07-29_10.52.24.jpg

After not much to look at so far apart from some rounded smokey and clear it was certainly a motivation kicker. Before to long from the same hole he dug out another similar again, rippa!

1438158372_2015-07-29_10.44.13.jpg

1438158421_2015-07-29_10.45.47.jpg

This was also a find down in the gully next to where we dug, very impressive bit of hidden history:
1438158626_2015-07-29_09.44.35.jpg

Having not found too much more after a lot of digging, we gave each other the nod n headed to a new spot. We had a couple more finds, here I had show up on my shovel almost a full clear quartz: ( bit hard to see in this photo, was late and indoors )
1438158943_img_20150729_183352.jpg

But most of the finds of the day were broken, rounded clear or smokey quartz an we kept going until near 3.
1438159090_2015-07-29_13.51.57.jpg

1438159128_2015-07-29_10.46.34.jpg

After many hours of digging, sieving and back breaking, we packed all gear up and trecked the 2km back to the car, still in good pace and head home to relax after a hard day and revamp.

Dylan is a great guy and it was a definite pleasure meeting and having a dig with him. Very kind hearted and friendly, we had a great laugh, dig, and day. Cheers mate, can't wait till next time! :D

( ahhhh crap.. I'll have to rotate the images later.. I'm exhausted lol )

AtomRat said:
After what seemed two hours ( probably was ) Dylan yells out a hail. A very beautiful bright red / orange gem, unidentified so far ( is it: chalcedony sard, opal, agate or carnelian? )

Thanks for the great account of a hard day's work and its rewards - well done!

BTW, you can cross opal off the list of possibilities for that red/orange stone - opal comes from totally different geology than the other gemstones mentioned and found.

I honestly couldn't of had a better day had some Awsome laughs :) good chats about gold and gems. Got some great advise and info and carnt wait to learn more and enjoy some more adventures and some great finds ;) thanks heaps mate

grubstake said:
AtomRat said:

Thanks for the great account of a hard day's work and its rewards - well done!

BTW, you can cross opal off the list of possibilities for that red/orange stone - opal comes from totally different geology than the other gemstones mentioned and found.
There certainly is opal here but that's all I'm going to say on that. Not ( found ) in this creek but not far.

Dylanpennack23 said:
I honestly couldn't of had a better day had some Awsome laughs :) good chats about gold and gems. Got some great advise and info and carnt wait to learn more and enjoy some more adventures and some great finds ;) thanks heaps mate

No probs mate, anytime, had a ball :) If you get the chance try to get a better shot of those rocks

Bugger that I forgot the granite but at least its not moving far :lol:

Glad you made it home safe

6 hours of digging, 4km walk, now that's prospecting effort :D

Awesome AR, glad you fellas had a great day out, making new mates who are into the same stuff is the real gem, some nice crystals comes a close second. Nice pics too.

brilliant story fellas...awesome pics too. Looks like a magnificent piece of OZ, thanks for sharing

A great spot and some interesting finds, including the traces of the past - always a treat to find. Inspiring stuff!

Latest posts