Digging tools for the creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought these at Bunnings - $2.48 each

regards, Ned

1385068683_e-mail_trowel.jpg

1385068603_e-mail_trowel2.jpg

PS - I do not own Bunnings, or have shares, or even work for them.

Hi Ned,
They are great buys, Anaconda sell them as well although I didn't notice their price.
I have a range of them that I use, unfortunately they float and a few have managed to get away from me, lucky they're cheap.
Cheers Tom

yep the good old bunnings trowels, I reckon I buy one every time i'm at bunnings, problem is my dog likes them too :) funny thing is if you go to most cmapaing stores they're between $7-$15

I have been using them for scooping out of cracks and from under rocks as well. I have one gripe with them, they hold very little material and it's easy to lose it in fast-moving water. I think the 20-ounce lolly scoops like this one are very handy too:
metal-candy-scoop-127246-ic.jpg

With this one I can use my hand to stop the wash from getting scoured out by the water force.

I have a fiskars like the middle or right ine. The end wore away after a couple of trips. I just ground the new end to a bit of a scewed point. The improved one is now about 7 cm long blade. Great for the clean out of crevices.. I bought a plastic scoop similar to the lolly scope for $2 at masters.. have a look at my "tools a newbie uses" thread for some other ideas..

Cheers, Tone

i have bought all of those & the two on the left broke ( but in in hard dry soil ) still got that one on the right.

My suggestion for the use of those tools were for creek beds or beaches.
I never for one minute wood have thought to use on hard soil or gravel.

regards, Ned

Ned said:
My suggestion for the use of those tools were for creek beds or beaches.
I never for one minute wood have thought to use on hard soil or gravel.

regards, Ned

I agree Ned.
I have a couple of stainless steel trowels for the hard going material.
The plastic ones are more for sand and light gravels.
Also good for 'halving' with a detector.

Agree with Rog and Ned, the plastic does not have the strength for getting into the hard dirt, even some of the so called "metal" ones dont pass muster with the hard stuff..

You can get a small pick/mattock thing from your hardware for about $18. the blade comes off the handle for easy travel.. Trojan is the brand.. Great for breaking the backed surfaces if your testing or just digging into your chosen spot.

Latest posts