Digging "Fuggets"

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After Several hours out near Maryborough, Victoria yesterday I have decided to rename all the trash I dig along the way. I am gonna call these items "Fuggets" because every time I dig a bullet, bottle top, beer can, nail, mystery iron object, foil, etc, I seem to find myself saying "Aw Fugget!!!" Might even post some pics of the weirdest ones along the way...... Righto off for another swing, let's see what today reveals! :cool:

Not digging up anything is definitely worse... you start to wonder if you are doing it right or if ur machine is any good!

Here are some "fuggets" for ya:
Got a nice mellow sounding signal with SDC2300 yesterday. The depth on this little machine is surprising. The shot below doesn't really do justice to the depth of the hole. My pick handle is 700mm from the end to the pick head. There was about 100-150mm of handle sticking out of the hole. I couldn't get a decent strike in the hole & dug the last few inches by hand to save considerably widening the hole.
1409017384_14089455702441.jpg

Obviously the "fuggets" got a lot louder & junkie sounding as I got deeper but I still had to investigate.
The offending "fuggets":
1409017512_14089455540150.jpg

" fuggett" I know that feeling.. 9 inch hole only to find a piece of bloody rusted iron.
I will also adopt that term for all the trash I dig :)

Yep, know the feeling LC76. Went out today where I live. Everything that's in the ground here comes out with a deep green coating so when I lifted a couple of really nice little "nuggets" and did that "scrape" and I thought the color was yellow, I was stoked until I found later that the yellow was in fact copper. fair dinkum, cant take a trick. The "nuggets" came out of the piles of lovely quartz as well so I thought I might have been on a winner.............but no! Oh well, back to digging the Fuggets! And Goldfield Joe, that will definitely catch on, believe me.

Mate you guys are just not digging deep enough

In some of my deeper holes i am not finding fuggets at all .......... i am recovering fuggen mutherfuggen fuggets

I fug you not

In fact when i find one , anybody within a square mile radius of my dig hole attains instant enlightenment with an accurate identification of their metallurgical content

:D 8.( :D

1409050027_img_20140807_090905.jpg

FUGGET! Bahahaha, look forward to that in Oxford by the next installment. GREAT word!

Mbasko, I hear you loud and clear on that one, my brother and I spent 20 minutes trying to dig SOMETHING out today, I stood in the hole, went up past my knee cap, must be around the same depth, gave up and going back tomorrow, (telling myself that far down in a mullock heap please, please, please, don't be a Fugget!) HeadsUp, I'm still laughing! As for The Oxford Dictionary if "Selfie" can make it, then "Fugget" might be in with a chance!! :D

goldtruck59 said:
Just spent a few days in Dunolly and Goldsborough. The were Fuggets everywhere. Everytime I thought I was in I, was fuggeted.
Fuggen bullets and lead shot were the only fuggets I got for 4 days , fugget. :) :eek:

i hear ya GT

i can only go about 2 - 3 days digging fuggets and if i get no yellow i have to throw in the towel and go shovel in to the sluice , at least i can pull consistent gold with a HB to satiate my appetite , but those fuggets sure do wear a man down fuggit

:(

I am tempted to get the local police to issue a warrant for the arrest of Fuggets and Murphies

( murphy from Murphies Law Pty Ltd )

hopefully we can get them both locked up and put an end to the suffering in the detecting community

Hey Tassie Daz, don't throw away your green coated fuggets, mate. Back in the 70's when I was a kid, I went on a field trip to Moonta mines, digging into some of the mullock heaps in search of interesting minerals, such as atacamite, chalcopyrite, molybdenite, cuprite etc.
Of particular interest was a green layer in the mullock collar around Ryan's shaft, which contained an abundance of native copper nuggets. All had a crusty green coating and ranged from subgram sizes up to about 250gms. I managed to collect a nice little bagful of them.

Yep, Fox know them well. Got two the other day and another from Moonta Mines, all copper nuggets, ranging from 1oz to maybe .2g.. They look great but not worth a zack!

Went out again today to the place that is supposed to be a single men's accommodation area back when the mines were working in 1860ish. To date I haven't found a single thing that suggests that the singles were housed there or that anyone was in fact housed or tented there. The only thing I have is a map of the area that shows where they were supposed to live. Makes me wonder whether in fact its all a figment of someone's imagination because I have found little bolts, big bolts, bolt heads, wire, nails, rifle round, etc but nothing that suggests that people actually "lived' in the area. Maybe its just a good tale to give to holiday makers. I'll keep at it, might find something to show they were there.

Latest posts