Digging clay (and false bedrock)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldtarget

(AKA OldGT)
Reaction score
After a long day travelling over the countryside (a ritual excursion the Mrs insists on) bored as usual and thinking about prospecting I got stuck thinking about something that has been floating around for a while. Recently i was talking to a prospector i had met for the first time and the subject we moved onto was how far to dig or more specifically how far is too far. We laughed at the fact we had both dug further after the gold had dried up just to see what was down there and hope to pick up on something else. I had recent success on a wide clay intrusion and stripped back the top layers that were clay to about two inches deep and washed for some handy pickers. Some of these were really punched in there and if not for my tendency to dig i think the average person would have left them there.

So whilst starting out the window i got to wondering just how far that clay intrusion goes down, but more importantly, would there be anything underneath? I guess in showing my ignorance of geology, especially local geology, would it be worth digging it in an attempt to find the bottom? Could there be layers below the intrusion that hold older deposits? I drive past a rocky hillside that has been cut through that has a very similar matrix (layers material type, and colours with a clearly defined watercourse) and there is no "true" bedrock layer below the riverwash layer, so its possible. That hillside shows evidence of layers exposed to 13 feet, at least 7 below the clay and wash layer. Anyone kept the dig up for a result? I have access to hand augers so the digging can be done to 1200 without too much effort, and there's only one way to find out but any experiences you have had would be great.

Good topic GT. Given that most aluvial fossickers are limited to 2 meters by the guidelines in various states. The laying down of the strata and whats in it will change over the years as it gets layed down and the waterway changes course over time. Im no geologist but i look at the area in google satelite maps and try and find the middle of the stream. When on site i will look for bedrock. If you look at a geo map it tells you what the br looks like in the margines.. then i look for compacted wash area around the br. I go from there. 1 thewater has done the digging for me. 2. It helps cut diwn search time as i can then focus on looking for crevices.

Latest posts