Difference between Mono and DD coils? When to use?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aussiedigs said:
Bugger. Thanks Shane. The seller of my used QED supplied me a DD coil!
It's a DD. He may have thought the QED wasn't real good with that coil as DD's won't work optimally on the QED.
They will work (similar to running a DD coil in Mono on a Minelab GPX) so you could use it until you get your hands on a Mono coil. Ask Nenad about the Detech 11" Ultra Sensing mono - I found it a great coil on the QED.

Hi I am heading to Durikai tomorrow for the day I have a GP 3000, previously I have used a DD coil but Im wondering if I should swap over to a mono and give it a go, whats everyones thoughts? Is the ground to mineralised to use a mono on my machine? Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers, Mike

Thanks Jaros, Ive got a 11 DD and a 16 DD nugget finder coil , thought the 16 might be a bit big to put on with all the trees and scrub what do you think?

G'day

One thing to remember about dd coils is that they are designed to be swung from side to side, and the will also handle the hotter ground better than a mono coil, but if you are using a coil on ground where there is a lot of vegetation and you are pushing the coil forwards under shrubs and so on you will miss targets as the tip and the tail of the dd coil is less sensitive, a mono coil has the same sensitivity all around the perimeter of the coil so if there is anything hiding under the shrubs you will hear it.

A smaller coil is always better in areas of tight vegetation but of course will not get the same depth as a bigger coil, and the bigger coil is better for more open areas where you need to cover more ground and you will also have a depth advantage as well, once you are on to some targets with the small coil you should always as much as you can get a bigger coil over the area as well, sometimes you might have to remove some deadfall to do it but it can be worth the effort.

Mono coils generally will go deeper than dd coils but if the ground is too hot for the coil then the noises it will produce will most likely drown any iffy target signals anyway, on the Gp3000 you cant really do much about that, later detectors such as the Gpx4500 will run mono coils on the hottest ground in the enhanced setting, a great advantage in some areas, I once worked a spot that made my Gp Extreme impossible to work with a mono coil, although we got many oz's of gold off that spot with dd coils, I was blown away when a few years later when a mate and I returned to the area with our Gpx4500's and pulled about 14 oz's more out of the same area, some of the pieces were very shallow but were missed previously.

If the ground allows its always worth while to try a mono coil anyway, nothing to lose but everything to gain. :perfect:

cheers

stayyerAU

Hi,everyone.I was wondering if this would be true or false.Say for instance I was running a 14 inch mono on my 4500 in hot ground,i ran it in enhance, had the gain turned down to around 7 to run it quiet.Would changing to a larger DD coil,and running it in normal at the same gain get more depth,and run quieter..thanks for your replies in advance.

I don't reckon, but unless you had the coils out on the same day you are only guessing.

If you can still use enhance (a gain of 7 is still ok), running stable, then personally I'd be sticking with the mono at that point.
Running a larger DD in Normal may theoretically get more depth but could also lose some sensitivity depending on depth/size of gold in the area. If picking up deeper targets in the area with your current set up then a larger coil, mono or DD, may be worth another go over the area again plus a DD in normal may excite something previously missed?
If you are finding that you need to use Sensitive Smooth in an area (would be pretty severe ground) then that is where you will be loosing depth with a mono & a DD would then be the go IMO especially where chasing deeper/larger gold. If a severely mineralised area is known for shallow, small gold then Sensitive Smooth with a mono is the go.

Hey guys so Im kinda stuck here because some ppl say to go mono for gold others say dd because of high mineralization whats the go?

Mono or dd whats the best to use and why?

Mono runs really well around the golden triangle.
But different coils for different soils.

The 14" elite mono ($425) runs very well and sensitive but equally do the Evo coils ($530).
Depends on how much money you have and sometimes it about getting to know your detector and coil.
Your detector settings play a great part in the experience.

I cannot run general around the golden triangle due to ground noise.

Cheers

HH

Agree with Old Hand here, I ran an elite 14 inch on my 3000, but youll suffer with charcoal, red clays and ground noise much more running a mono on the 3000. The elite though did make small shallow gold come through with a brighter signal but the background ground noise was difficult to listen to over an extended time.

I would also recommend fitting a quick track button, theres threads here to explain how especially when you're ready to go with the mono option.

You can switch to quasi mono using a stock minelab dd. Take a test piece out with you to calibrate your signal response.

If you want depth and coverage you could also use a Minekab 14 x 12 DD, work a treat on the 3000 and easy to find at a good price.

That 11" DD stock coil will find more gold than people give it credit for, I've run one on my Extreme for many years when situation called for it.

My two cents.. Don't go buying up coils thinking you're going to be making big gains in depth/sensitivity etc, what you've got will find gold, you just have to put the coil over the right bit, give it time, get some experience, later on down the road, upgrade.

But hey, that's just me, you do you mate..

Latest posts