Difference between Mono and DD coils? When to use?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason DDs have gone way out of favour with a lot or prospectors. Always has been a great coil, of any size, with excellent capabilities.
Last year with an 18" DD.

1407739871_a1.gif

Amazing find there Loamer. I can't wait to give the 24" dd pro trash can lid a run over some big nugget areas. Picks up junk a looong way down though so a helluva workout.

I have been bit crook last few weeks so I did not went out for prospecting. But I have tested the 11" DD Commander coil in my backyard and on 0.6 grams of lead, buried 11 cm deep I get clear clear signal. White's 7.5" mono coil doesn't pick it up at all. Hopefully this Saturday I will be able to test it out in the bush.
Kar

On super noisy ground with very iffy signals, I find switching to a DD solves many problems. I am not a throw the mono switch to DD or the DD to a mono type of person. I simply mark follow up areas and switch coils. They are a tricky beast in that you most definitely have to overlap and be very careful to criss-cross if gridding, raking, chaining to get maximum coverage. Interesting comment about WA, Vic seems to be following a similar vein. Chatting to another forum member recently and we both noticed the number of DD coils at dealers were drying up - I don't think too many people got rid of them or during the early mono onslaught they just had no $ value at the time.

There seems to be a very constant theme as well recently, and myself included, low gram sizes and sub grammers seem to be the bread and butter at the moment, even on new ground. Interesting, probably has something to do with an influx of smaller mono coils, say 11" and elliptical variants, 14 x 7 for example, which just seem to love the small stuff. The gold certainly hasn't gotten deeper, nor smaller, just seems to be the target choice at the moment. Mono hunting made us lazy? I guess you can get complacent with smaller but consistent gold as opposed to larger more rewarding gold but with a lot longer between strikes.

Finally, I have found a new fun thing to do (used to do it with my 2200) - wack on a 14" DD, run iron reject on the 4500 and hit the worst, trashiest ground going especially where monos have been. there is almost a noticeable line where the monos have stopped due to target after target thats crap and the users give up digging - the DDs eat this stuff up. I maintain the DDs are here to stay. I have a mate who only ever runs DDs on a 3500 and the small gold even with a 14"DD is impressive and we are talking wheat gold where i am running a small mono on my 4500.

The 14" on the 3500 is the ducks guts! They are an amazing detector and very simple to use. I was even given the settings to run my 4500 like a 3500!! by an old bloke. All too confusing. ;)

Yep its a good coil.

Mine is modified and can run the 14" nugget finder
Which runs very quiet.

Hi mate - the 4500 settings should be the same with the 5000. Your stabiliser and gain are slightly different, but not by much. Just tweek them to suit. Rule of thumb? Try and keep them within '2' numbers of each other, but thats just an average,obviously set to suit.

The 14" DD Pro was brilliant on my GP extreme and the GPX4000. On my 3500 for some reason, I preferred the 15x12 DD commander.
I still have my 18" DD from the extreme, runs super smooth and target signals are nice and crisp. Weight was always a bit of issue but not anymore with the pro swing harness.

Excellent question, i have a GP 3500, sold my 4500, reason why was i found so much more with my 3500 using DD's.
I do use mono's with my 3500, (8", 11",15x12), but for some reason my DD's always find the best biggest nugs especially 18'DD

All my nugs over 1/2oz have been with DD's except 1, not sure if its the coil or the machine, but as the DD has a wider sweep at depth it could be the speed that I walk with.

as the cone is sharper with a mono you needs to walk and swing very slow to cover ground

Funny thing Ranger08 - an old bloke actually gave me a set of settings to run my 4500 as a 3500!!! The 3500 is an excellent detector - IMO it is best with the DD. I have seen some amazingly small gold with the 3500 running a 14" DD round on very bad ground. Very quiet and easy to use machine. It was ground breaker in its day and still getting the goods. A mate runs a 3500 and I have lost count of the times I have had very iffy signals with the 4500 running a mono (yes, in enhance and quiet) that I got a 3500 to check for me with the DD - 9/10 times, ground noise/red clay domes.

Hi Loamer

Yes true the 3500 runs better with DDs, it seems to have been designed primarily for the DDs, and the later model detectors 4000s and up, for the mono's...Maybe its as simple as that

I do find i get quite a few ghost signals with the mono's as well

I guess im a DD fan, not just with coils!

Although fairly new to prospecting, I have used the 11"DD on my 5000. In fact on my last trip to Vic, I was in Coiltek and found a 2nd hand, but barely used Commander 15x12 DD @ $200. At half the price I bought it.

Time and weather prevented me from using it in a couple of areas I know that are trashy. I'm looking forward to trying it in October on my next trip.

I tended to use the 11" with discrim OFF and when I get a target I turn on to 4 or 5 to see if it is iron. If it is I walk on if it's not I dig it.

I found it saved me digging a fair few holes.

I have also gone over the same area with the mono, but the crap drove me nuts.

Basically the sd series was designed to run with a dd they are extremely loud and sensitive so mono being a more sensitive coil will bring in alot more information /noise. Dds have noise cancelling characteristics and the ability to discriminate in the 2200d and forward minelab pi series.

Theres a great article by jack Lange check it out
http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/jlange/confusion.html

Latest posts