Detector Purchase Perspectives?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a detector for gold hunting - I already have a nox 800 I use every weekend but I'm looking at something for winter goldfields, I'll realistically get out there 3 times a year.

I have the money to buy a GPZ, but will it find more gold than an SDC2300/GPX5000 to warranty the extra cost. I enjoy detecting but it's even more enjoyable with greater reward.

I'd be buying 2nd hand, so in the event I gave it up and sold the detectors seem to hold their value, so on that front it'd make more sense than continuing to rent a detector.

I guess i'm just looking for different perspectives on rent vs buy on the various models. I've used them all for brief periods, I really liked the GPZ and SDC

Im still pretty new to the game, but from what Ive read I wouldve gone the gpz if I didnt get the gpx4500 so cheap. If you can afford it and your going to be out there, youd want the best wouldnt you?

I have all three and predominantly use the 7000 as my general purpose detector. All have found kilos in thier own right, plus found kilos while being used in conjunction with the others.
Each will find gold the other misses hence why I use all three.

But the detector is only a small part of the equation. probably more important is research, time, practice etc etc etc..
Each of the three are brilliant detectors, but they wont find gold for you, you have to do your bit.

They are like cars, the good looking nice bloke in the old commodore is always going to pull more chicks than the fat ugly bloke in the Ferrari... he might occasionally get one to flash her boobs but hell never truly get laid.

madtuna said:
I have all three and predominantly use the 7000 as my general purpose detector. All have found kilos in thier own right, plus found kilos while being used in conjunction with the others.

But the detector is only a small part of the equation. probably more important is research, time, practice etc etc etc..
Each of the three are brilliant detectors, but they wont find gold for you, you have to do your bit.

They are like cars, the good looking nice bloke in the old commodore is always going to pull more chicks than the fat ugly bloke in the Ferrari... he might occasionally get one to flash her boobs but hell never truly get laid.

So what model is your Commodore Brad :lol: :p

This talk of Ferraris and boob flashing, do you work for minelab?
Theres a lot of gpx5000 for sale with extra coils and the $4000 spare could set up my ute nicely

Re (Theres a lot of gpx5000 for sale with extra coils and the $4000 spare could set up my ute nicely)

Yes But.... If you aren't finding gold, will your subconscious be telling you " I should have purchased a Z"

RM Outback said:
madtuna said:

So what model is your Commodore Brad :lol: :p

I have heard it said that Money can't buy love. Sometimes I wonder though if it's just that those people don't know where to shop? :)

Perth Tim, the detector you choose is far less important than knowing how and where to use it. Pointless buying a Ferrari if you have little driving experience.

My plan is to do a training session once i own a detector.
I think I'll get a Z, i usually regret cheaping out on things. Thanks for all your advice ppl

So you'll buy a Ferrari, and then learn how to drive it? May I suggest you hire a 7000 first. You may find it is a heavy brute of a thing that does not suit you, and your chances of finding enough gold to ever pay for it are not all that good. If you have made up your mind on a 7000, then you will have a choice of many, as a number of people find that after outlaying a lot of money for that detector the gold is not so easy to find, and just because your choice has been for the most expensive, that does not give you much of an advantage at all.

PerthTim, If you are only going out 3 times/yr you would want to have access to good ground that produces enough of the type of gold that is a 7000 special benefit, to find the extra gold over what you would likely find with a 5000, otherwise you are lugging around a $10,000 heavy weight for little gain, & as you said, the money could be better spent on other things.

You don't buy a big flash fishing boat with the intent to pay for it with the fish you catch.
But then with any of the 3 detectors listed you have a damn good chance of paying for it with finds if you do your part and with a bit of luck thrown in, be it three times a year or ten.

What you mean you pay $10.000 or so for one of those Z,s and you still gotta to all the work :8 it don't just find the gold :goldnugget: for ya :poop:

Reg Wilson said:
So you'll buy a Ferrari, and then learn how to drive it? May I suggest you hire a 7000 first. You may find it is a heavy brute of a thing that does not suit you, and your chances of finding enough gold to ever pay for it are not all that good. If you have made up your mind on a 7000, then you will have a choice of many, as a number of people find that after outlaying a lot of money for that detector the gold is not so easy to find, and just because your choice has been for the most expensive, that does not give you much of an advantage at all.

I have used them, i hired first so i know the gpz is heavy but it didn't bother me after 3 days of use. I did find some small stuff on that trip with my nox 800 of all things.
I beach detect most weekends, I've developed that patience detecting needs.

I just need to get as good at reading the ground as i am at reading the beach!

Latest posts