Detecting Madness!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wally...i'd still kick that can where it belongs and try again for any masked signals. Same advice for any stump can depositories too.

Ya just never know and as the sayin goes...Gold is where ya find it.....and sometimes it's just that extra effort that reveals a prize.

Like moving old sheet tin (Ballarat biggy last year) or the old bike wheel against a tree hiding a 12 grammer.

How many times have folks given up riches 2 feet short when they got tired or lazy and someone comes along and reaps the reward.

A few i'd say.

Gypsy

Yep that story reminded me of my deepest dig for a target. It was very close to the spot i found my first 2 little bits of gold with my 20 minutes old XT17000. I had upgraded to a sd2200 and gone back to the spot I found my first gold yrs before, (as you do ) and started working over an area of surfacing running down from a reef to the shallow lead id pinged the 2 little nuggets on.
Anyway I got this broad low growl from the SD and started to remove a bit of soil and ironstone and sure enough the signal got better. After about 12inches I decided to head back to the car for a crowbar as the hole was now 2 ft wide and 14 inches deep & the target was screaming at me. I had the target centred pretty well in the middle of the hole and not wanting to damage what, by this time I thought was a decent nugget I worked around the outer edges of the bottom of the hole. The ground was all hard packed until I got within a couple of inches of the target. It was then that I noticed the ground in the centre was a bit softer & a different colour. My heart sank as I realized i was digging out a 3inch auger hole that someone had put down to test the surfacing and backfilled and tamped a squashed beer can into the bottom. Depth of hole 25inches. bugger :mad:

Latest posts