Detecting in the heat

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I do need to drive 600+kms to the GT, so I make it a 4-6 week trip. Cold and rain I can handle, the heat is another, must be getting old:)

You are right. Best time to detect is 2 hours after sunrise & 2 hours before sunset. Pan in cool waters during the heat of the day.

1458863978_screenshot_2016-03-25-07-46-59.png

Last year I had to go out prospecting in Feb in WA, managed to get a 6 oz patch, the pic is day 1 and temps were 40 plus degrees.
Personally I don't think heat causes the ground conditions to change as in noise. But Its the sunlight that charges the ground up.
Even in winter months I noticed the late arvo was easily the worst for noise but as soon as it got dark, bingo ground seemed to become quiet as.
Well that was with the gpx. Havent noticed anything with zed as its always noisy lol.

Dig'n-it said:
This is my first summer detecting. I detect in the Vic Golden Triangle with a GPX4500 & 11" mono elite.

I am finding that I do not find gold in high heat of the middle of the day. I'm taliking 30C plus. I have a definite pattern of finding gold in the cooler morning between sunrise and about 11am (10 by the sun) and in the evenings after 7pm (6 by the sun).

As an example I was in the GT from 8.30am to 8.30pm yesterday. When I arrived it was 22C and I found a 0.64g at 10am and a 0.21g at 11am. By 2pm it was 36C. I detected the same area all day. I found my next and final piece of 0.15g at 8pm when it was still 30C, but there was a lot of evening shade and a strong breeze. This is my secret patch which I've visited on two other occassions and have now found 11 small sub gram nuggets. All nuggets found on high heat days early in the morning or late in the evening.

I am thinking that perhaps the heat is making the mineralisation more severe and the GPX in attempting to ground out the mineralisation is grounding out the small nugget signals. I do find my machine is a lot less stable in the heat. Alternatively perhaps my machine is faulty.

I'd appreciate any insight in to what I am experiencing.

I'd really like to know if I'm wasting my time in high heat or whether I should get my machine or coil looked at.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers Dignit :)

Interesting, but between October and December, its between 30 and 34 here for 20 hours a day. Cools down to about 26 to 28 for the other 4 hours, so we get 26 for about an hour. So I don't think its heat. Having said that, I find more ground noise in the afternoon as well. Maybe its the light level.

Wow, great ideas there, for around $500 you can have an outfit for just about any conditions, hot or cold, could be a bit shocking if the electrics are not waterproof though. Be worth a try. Wouldn't mind test driving the heated one next time I visit Canada.

Mike.

Latest posts