Detecting backpack / harness information

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what people are using? The Shingleback pack, Shingleback harness, Jonathan Porter one, something else. Something to carry a spare coil or 2 plus other essentials such as GPS and stuff would be good, seems none of these will quite do it.

Shingleback looks like it could hold a 8x6 NF but nothing larger. Most other packs I see really have nowhere to hold the battery.

I got the shingle back harness for $85 from Brisbane Gold part of Bendigo Gold shops. It's the one with the battery pouch at the back.

It really kills you on the neck as it has the battery pouch hanging on the centre strap connected to the belt at the back.

I couldn't wear it all day, it was really a bad purchase. My own fault should have tried it with a battery in the back in the shop.

It really gets you right between the shoulder blades and the neck.

I decided I needed to salvage this purchase as best I could and I am really glad I did.

I ended up buying a cheap backpack from Bargain City for $15 and taking the arm strap webbing and battery pouch off the shingle back harness so I was just left with the belt which is really good quality.

I then put the battery pouch into the main compartment on the backpack. I also attached the rooster booster in there. In the first compartment I now carry a camel back, I removed the water can holder from the shingle back as the buttons on these kept popping off as they don't fit the new plastic water bottles well. So I can now carry twice as much water as before.

In the last compartment my medical kit and snack food are stored along with spare detector coil.

On the front shoulder straps of the backpack I threaded my external speaker and cut a small hole in the top of the backpack to attach it to the rooster booster.

There are d rings which my handheld UHF goes on the left shoulder strap and a compass and torch and my small scoop go on the right one.

Now I just have to put on the belt which has my pick holder on the left and a bum bag up front for my finds and my pinpointer on the right. Then I put on my backpack and grab the curly power cord and plug it into the detector and I am away.

Much easier than the original shingle back to get on and off and it is all self contained.

I can now be off detecting in minutes of getting out of the car it has made a huge difference. I can walk all day in this setup. The weight of the battery is now well balanced and I can carry much more gear with me.

I have a SD2200 and a GPX5000 so I have a backpack and belt setup for each one. That way if I am with the wife she can use this or if my battery runs out I can be up and running again quickly.

Hope this helps.

Hey folks...Having just bought a detector and pick I am setting up my pack to take with me on hunts...Having moved from bow hunting to detecting I have a few things I always carry...ie,water,whistle,small first aid kit,knife,toilet paper,some nibbles,lighter,gps,and a uhf radio...Are there any other essentials I should be looking at in regards to detecting...

Cheers...Sparra

water proof matches are great btw and cant go past a epirb if you go out alone often
and would you be going bush detecting? if so snake gaitors are a must have
cheers drys

G0lddigg@ said:
hey mate might want to read this one a few people input there. for me youve got most of it covered i always take at least 15 metres of rope with a few shackles.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4656

Thanks for that,I have to learn to use the search function... :) :) I already have gaitors and have been going to get an epirb but it's one of those things I always seem to put of buying...

Cheers...Sparra

dwt said:
Hey Sparra did you buy the 3000, or another machine?

I bought a Whites GMT on Thursday off a fella down this way and was in Detect a Den in the Bay on Saturday getting a pick and a few other things and noticed they had the 3000 for sale...It has a couple of coils and a few extra's but looks to be well used...The GMT gets me into detecting and will look at upgrading if I am still enjoying it in 6 months or so...

Cheers...Sparra

Hey folks...With my 4500 I received a few dvd's and in one of them it has JP with a harness/backpack with a water bladder and storage in it...Are these commercially available or would this have been something he has made up???

Cheers...Sparra

You can do this way cheaper than that, I will post pics of my setup.

The water bladders you can get from Anaconda for about $20. I use a $15 backpack from Bargain City.

I bought a commercial harness for $85 from miners den but using it as is gives you a real pain in the neck and shoulders all day long.

I salvaged the parts from it and got a webbing belt off it with a pick holder.

With my backpack setup I can go all day without any pain.

Once you are setup all you need to do is:
- put your webbing belt on with your pick holder
- put your backpack on
- pick up your GPX5000 and attach the bungy cord and battery cable

I have set up two backpacks using this method one for my 5000 and one for the 2200.

Takes me about two minutes from pulling up in the car to being out detecting.

I use a camel back for trial riding, extremely good construction portability and design. Often I'll go out for a few days at a time hill climbing with the bikes having something on your back that holds all the goods and comfortable is a must, and these although pricey for the bill nicely. I've never used it for detecting but can recommend it, despite all the days its seen over the last 8 years its still in great condition.

I agree there are alternatives that are cheaper.
However, after coughing up over 6k for the 5000 it seemed wise to spend a little more on robust accessories.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't having a go at the camelback, from what I am told they are great but having forked out on the other equipment I needed to keep costs down at the time or the financial controller SWMOB was going to have a fit.

But thats also exactly why I was so disappointed in the commercial harness and had to invent my own. I bought it because it looked the business used webbing etc. and had been given rave reviews but it turned out it was down right unusable because of the pain it caused me after a few days out with it.

I certainly didn't take it as such gcause, different people like different things, good knows id rather build a highbanker for under $200 than pay 6to700+. Give a bloke a few options to best suit his needs i say, . Some might like of the shelf, others custom, some homemade. All are valid options, sometimes checking out the commercial type helps us understand how to build our own.

Nor me mate, the more options aired the better.
One man's meat is another man's poison.
Being time poor we tend to go for tested and tried equipment we can buy online from reputable dealers.
Mrs Redfin very happy with the camelbak as she is a "wanderer' with the GPX in her hands.
I prefer not to be attached to anything with the 2200

Ok here is my setup with parts I salvaged from the shingleback harness. I removed the arm straps to just leave the belt and the battery holder. I then tore off the battery holder so it was a separate unit from the belt. Oh well there goes my warranty :)

The belt came with a water canteen carrier and the normal green plastic water canteens that you buy are meant to fit in there but they don't its too tight a fit and its very difficult to do up the clips. Consequently the first day I used this I lost my water canteen as it fell out of the carrier. So I ditched the carrier.

So I needed something that was light weight, could carry a lot of gear, could be fitted with a hydration pack, did not kill my neck and shoulders like that commercial one and I could wear it all day if needs be.

I found a cheap $15 backpack at Bargain City that had good padded shoulder straps and lots of compartments so it seemed to fit the bill. I then went to Anaconda and got a hydration pack for $20 and removed the water bladder from it. I could have bought the bladder separately but that was going to cost me an extra $20 for some reason so I got the hydration pack instead. It was like a nylon version of the camel back setup. I kept it as I may use it down the track.

I then set about creating my ideal backpack / harness for my metal detector. After a few times in the bush with this new backpack / harness I found this setup worked great so I decided to replicate it so I could have one for the 2200 and one for the 5000. That way when my wife is with me I can quickly set her up with the 2200. It also means I don't have to swap out batteries when I am on my own and I have two lots of water with me and an extra medical kit if needs be.

The belt from the commercial harness was well made it had a webbing belt with was run through a thick, padded liner. I toyed with the idea of making the backpack and belt one unit but decided to keep the belt and the backpack as separate units so I could use the belt when I was chasing the alluvial gold with the highbanker.

The belt came with a pick holder which works well so all I did was add my Lesche tool holder, a finds bag and a pinpointer holder. Belt sorted. Now for the backpack.

Here is the front view of backpack:

1400058500_img_0534.jpg

Here is the back view of backpack:

1400058527_img_0536.jpg

Water Bladder goes in first and smallest compartment on back compartment, run the tubing over the shoulder and through the second smaller handhold loop at the top and down the shoulder strap:

1400058546_img_0537.jpg

Water Bladder fits in neatly when full and compartment can be fully closed with just the tube sitting out.
Notice also the small hole I cut in the top of the backpack so the external speaker cable could run down to the rooster booster.

1400058659_img_0538.jpg

I cut two small holes in the backpack one for the battery cord on the side which goes into the battery which is housed in the original commercial harnesses battery holder:
1400058713_img_0539.jpg

Shoulder straps already had plastic D-Rings attached I can replace these later with metal ones but for now these are fine have stood up well to wear and tear.

On the right hand side I put the external speaker I ran the cable down the shoulder strap and tied a knot about half way down with the cord and then used the metal clip on the back of the speaker to hold it onto the shoulder strap.

On the left I have my walkie talkie.

1400058926_img_0540.jpg

On the D-Ring on the right shoulder strap I added a key ring with a metal D-Ring attached which has a quick release clip to carry my small plastic shovel and a key ring to hold a compass and LED light. On the small shovel I added a zip tie as a carry handle to go into the quick release d-clip. I also attached my Garmin ETrex10 GPS unit.

1400059600_img_0541.jpg

The main compartment is spacious and has a separator inside normally used for a laptop I would imagine. This is where I store the webbing belt, knee pad, medical kit, koss headphones, camera, charger for the walkie talkie, charger for the minelab battery a torch with spare batteries, extra cable ties and clips, and a whistle.

1400059732_img_0542.jpg

Inside the second compartment I house the battery. I retained the battery holder from the commercial harness to help keep it waterproof.
This is the one for the 2200. On the 2200 the booster is attached to the detector itself so its not in there.

1400060791_img_0543.jpg

Heres the one for the 5000 with its Rooster Booster.

1400060916_img_0544.jpg

And here is everything that came out of it, like I said plenty of storage in these but because of the padded shoulder strap arrangements you don't really notice the weight so much as its all evenly distributed.

1400060950_img_0545.jpg

Hope this helps someone with their setup. :)

We run the reverse here gcause, Mrs Redfin has the 5k and I have the 2200.

On the 2200 I have a cover with a side pocket which houses the battery and enhancer.

The speaker is Velcroed to the top of the handle.

That way I am not connected to the machine at all, but recently have been using a hipstick due to injuries.

1400069331_plug.jpg

Latest posts