DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES and BUSH POWER

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Condor for replying.

Your reply has helped and will be making the purchase soon.

Thanks Again.

A big thumbs up to both of you.

Awesome stuff. Will keep you updated once I made the purchase.

Thanks Again.

condor22 said:
No worries, Wolfau.

Re battery, consider this (applies to all deep cycle batteries) If they sit in a shed for a few months they will self discharge over time. How much and how quickly depends on conditions and quality of battery. They (in particular AGM) love to stay on charge, but only with a smart charger. Something like a Projecta Intelli Charge would do that. A 7amp charger would be ok for a 60AH, they run at about $129 (max 10amp $169)

Have a look at Autoelecau which is Bairnsdale Auto Electrics) https://www.autoelec.com.au/search_results.asp?q=projecta intelli charge

I've bought 2 Redarcs, a Projecta, UHF and other gear from them all post free and the best prices I could get.

They also do AGM batteries, battery boxes etc.

The above charger is ok for home use or out bush with a generator, but if no genny, you will need a 12 v to 12 v charger either the Redarc BCDC1220 (20amp, which is a bit high and expensive) or the CTEK MXS5.0T ($98) which is a 5amp charger, but given your low use, big enough.

My GPX5000 came with a cig plug charger, but I prefer to charge from the 240V charger even out bush, it's a more stable charging algorithm for the Lithium battery.
I use a Projecta 150W inverter, plugged into my auxiliary battery, then use the 240V power pack GPX charger.

Let me know if you need any other info....

Condor, could you please confirm that the CTEK MXs5.0T is a 12v to 12 v charger, as from what I can find this appears to be a 240vac to 12vDC charger. Their 12/12 charger prices are more like in the $250 range, but still cheaper than the Redarc.

Rob.

Rob for around $200 you can buy a 120 watt solar panel kit
with Regulator which can trickle charge the battery as you
Detecting.

There are a few german made panels on the Auction
site for around that price.

When i get home what i will do is connect the battery
To the solar panel and let it trickle charge as ai am
Told its good for the battery.

Others can chime in if My info needs correcting though.

Wolfau said:
Rob for around $200 you can buy a 120 watt solar panel kit
with Regulator which can trickle charge the battery as you
Detecting.

There are a few german made panels on the Auction
site for around that price.

When i get home what i will do is connect the battery
To the solar panel and let it trickle charge as ai am
Told its good for the battery.

Others can chime in if My info needs correcting though.

Thanks Wolf, I actually don't need any extra charging facilities at this time, I was just trying to make sure that the details in the post from Condor were correct, so that someone didn't order one and then find that it wasn't what they needed.

I have fixed 240W of solar on camper roof and a 6 panel portable 100W unit to use for dual battery of 4WD, when "roughing it", so I have the solar reasonably covered. Same normally when out in the bush except when there are several days of overcast, because as Condor said, it is best to not let batteries get too discharged as this reduces the life of the battery. So in that case I can fire up a Honda 20i if needed.

Rob

Pablo,

You are correct the CTEK is 240V, I was too quick to cut and paste. I'm a Redarc user so I'll give that as my excuse, lol

The 20A CTEK DC-DC is the D250S Dual and from what I can see the smallest.

The problem I have with the CTEK is that it states the maximum input voltage at 23volts and doesn't specify a minimum. Whereas the Redarc has an input voltage range of 9volts to 32volts, but maintains the correct output voltage.

This is better to accommodate voltage drop in cables and also higher input from solar panels. I think the Redarc dual is the BCDC1225. You can use vehicle alternator or solar as input.

However as noted a 120W solar panel + a 10A regulator would be cheaper. For small recharge this is fine, but for the bigger batteries and loads I run, I need the security of a known sufficient charge.

Be careful that you get a reasonable quality panel and a "smart charging" regulator to maximise battery life.

Thanks Condor.

My smaller portable Solar panel system comes with a "built in" regulator and I must admit that I haven't bothered to see what type it is. It is used to charge a normal lead acid battery as the second battery in the 4WD. The van though does have a smart regulator (but not MPPT) to manage the 240W solar from the roof. I actually have one "built in" Ctek in the van (temp compensated) to do the 240v charging, but also carry a another Ctek to use for things such as vehicle battery charging (if need be) as the built in unit can't really be used for that purpose.

I also have several other chargers with different capabilities for workshop use at home, none Ctek, but cheaper Oz units, so I am not tied to Ctek as they are usually more expensive.

Rob

Thanks condor22 for your posts, I have learned a lot. Just starting on a solar & battery for some simple charging, lights & fridge. Easter is on us & Tibooburra looks good from here. It's time to try out my new toys. Hope to see you on the field.
Thanks again
Bill

Blinkie said:
Thanks condor22 for your posts, I have learned a lot. Just starting on a solar & battery for some simple charging, lights & fridge. Easter is on us & Tibooburra looks good from here. It's time to try out my new toys. Hope to see you on the field.
Thanks again
Bill

Hi Bill what setup did you end up getting?

Eg ah battery and solar wattage?

Be aware that Wolfau wants to charge whilst driving, so unless fixed on the roof..... a panel may not be an option.

Thinking more and more about this and how the
Battery likes to be kept charged i think the best
Option might be the original plan and that is
A dual battery setup. No charger is needed just
Some cable, isolator, battery and battery box and
I can jump to a 130 ah battery which I don't
Think i will use more than 60 ah's. Price wise might
Be around the same.

Worse case latter i can add solar to it.

Didn't know what kind of vehicle you had, but if a 4x4 and you can go duel battery, isolator fine and probably cheapest.

Get a 10M heavy Anderson to Anderson extension cable to a power box with a couple of cig sockets and a merit socket and you can run it to a tent or camper for lights etc.

I chose a 100AH AGM in the back of my 4x4 because I run an Engel, but if I don't take the caravan an swag it, I have the ext cable etc to power lights etc as well

Ah.. that's a good question, I'll have to look into it, lol. Just because I said I learned a lot doesn't mean I know what I have 8)! I bought a panel at a farm auction, mono crystalline..I think, bluish large crystal shapes about 10c piece size, 1.1m x .5m, produces 19v in the shade, 'watts' I have no idea. Inherited 2 deep cycle batteries that came out of a large mobility scooter, 1 of which is the starter battery in my car & the only thing new with info is the solar controller(PWM 10amp) I bought on ebay. Needless to say I'm very new at the game. Costing me very little so I hope to find out much more!!! It's all packed so I will be setting it up on site in the heat of the day or with a coldie in hand at the end of the day..not too stressed about it :).
Anyway sorry I couldn't answer your question Wolfau, if I had more knowledge of electronics things may be different.
Blessings Bill

For your information, there are plenty of very reasonably priced kits on the market.
Traxide is just one and has an excellent reputation.
http://www.traxide.com.au/complete-diy-dual-battery/universal-dbs-kits/sc80-eb.html

1427752048_traxide.jpg

i have something that you may be interested in its called e power i have been testing for a friend in QLD at the monent it is running my 40ltr engal for 48 hours and still going strong it will also change your phone and laptop plus it will jump start your car even a big diesel at a cost of $255 a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot smaller (about the size of trailer light) i will put up some pictures after work i am thinking it would run led lights for a week and then charge of a cig lighter

normeves said:
i have something that you may be interested in its called e power i have been testing for a friend in QLD at the monent it is running my 40ltr engal for 48 hours and still going strong it will also change your phone and laptop plus it will jump start your car even a big diesel at a cost of $255 a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot smaller (about the size of trailer light) i will put up some pictures after work i am thinking it would run led lights for a week and then charge of a cig lighter

Got a website link please?

Is it one if those new mini chargers or mini car
Starters?

Latest posts