CTX madness 2017

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Onya Heatho, but sounds like it's not worth it too much ,.... although I'd do miles for $5 usually lol.
:Y: O:) :Y:

Goldpick said:
Sometimes it takes a hell of a lot of gridding to come up with a decent sum, though definitely worth being thorough. A lot of people tend to wander all over the place only coming up with the odd coin, and walking straight past many more - nice work Heatho. :Y:

You're right mate I've seen it first hand random swinging and no gridding or tight overlapping lines.

Moonlit nights during the summer months were really good for cleaning up on the beach. Usually no one around to bother you, towel marks are clearly seen on the surface, and just drag your feet so you can see where you've previously detected (covering from the sandhills down to the wet sand). Don't underestimate how much is dropped by those having a snog at the base of the sandhills (aside from condom wrappers). :D

Goldpick said:
Sometimes it takes a hell of a lot of gridding to come up with a decent sum, though definitely worth being thorough. A lot of people tend to wander all over the place only coming up with the odd coin, and walking straight past many more - nice work Heatho. :Y:

That's very true mate, yesterday I tighly gridded one section, then I did a huge long towell line and back without much success then started doing a random wander to spots where I know are popular and did better. Manly beach is pretty big, to grid the whole beach properly would take weeks.

Anyway it's a good sign that the coming summer will be busy down there.

Hit Manly beach again today, this time around the North Steyne surf club area, slim pickings but did manage to get a 1956 florin and a 1910 sixpence, both were down pretty deep.

Also got this strange 1 dollar coin, that looks like it has rim strike errors of some sort, almost sort of muleish.

1509504449_20171101_124948.jpg

1509504450_20171101_124956.jpg

1509504450_20171101_125012.jpg

1509504450_20171101_125029.jpg

Cheers fellas.

Good idea Wally. :D It is a very strange looking coin, will have to maybe post a pic of it on a coin collectors website or send a pic to a coin dealer and see what they say.

Looks like this variant has popped up a few times in different forums but has been met with scepticism.

To find one coming out of the clutches of Mother Earth makes it a certified variant to me :Y: even rarer than a mule :party:

Wally69 said:
Looks like this variant has popped up a few times in different forums but has been met with scepticism.

To find one coming out of the clutches of Mother Earth makes it a certified variant to me :Y: even rarer than a mule :party:

I hope it is a known error/variant. I just joined the Australian coin collectors forum and will put up a post regarding it and see if anyone there knows anything about it, will be interesting to see what they think.

Ok one of the members on The Australian coin forum got back to me and said those circles are very common for 1984 and 1985 one dollar coins, bummer.... Oh well at least I now know that is the case. :Y:

Heatho said:
Ok one of the members on The Australian coin forum got back to me and said those circles are very common for 1984 and 1985 one dollar coins, bummer.... Oh well at least I now know that is the case. :Y:

Maybe get a second opinion ....
If they're that common, how come we havent come across them

silver said:
Did they offer you at least a coupla $ for it ]:D

No one really seemed interested at all in it Silver.

Sandta, if you do a search for 1985 one dollar coin on google and click images there are quite a few examples with nothing mentioning they are special. It does make me wonder why we've never really noticed them before though...

Heatho said:
Hit Manly beach again today, this time around the North Steyne surf club area, slim pickings but did manage to get a 1956 florin and a 1910 sixpence, both were down pretty deep.

Also got this strange 1 dollar coin, that looks like it has rim strike errors of some sort, almost sort of muleish.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1509504449_20171101_124948.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1509504450_20171101_124956.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1509504450_20171101_125012.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/487/1509504450_20171101_125029.jpg

Hi The only mule coin I know of is dated 2000. I have one and I agree your coin did at first look like a mule. Keep trying you might find one of them yet.Nice finds though.

Latest posts