Croc gold trap

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi seeing we are stopped from using high bankers in NSW I am thinking of buying a Croc gold trap so would like to hear from anyone thats got one would appreciate your thoughts
Cheers

Noelhi,

Croc Gold traps are good units but they need LOTS of water to and a bit of depth to the water level to ensure the fluid bed operates correctly.

These are a double deck sluice..with the bottom deck directing water into the fluid bed and the top deck using water to wash and classify paydirt that drops into the fluid bed.

Huge upside is the ability to throw in dirt that is NOT classified ... then pull out the unwanted big bits up and over the grizzly's.

If I was in very heavily clayed pay dirt area I might soak the dirt first to try and break down the clay a bit. But...not even sure that is necessary.

I have watched the gold trap units in use at Gympie Deep Creek and they work very well.

Units are now made in Australia...Contact Lucky Dan on this site..for more info.

regards
Mike

Id also be interested in reviews from any members...plenty of footage on YouTube tube vogus prospecting where it seems to do a great job...interesting Mike that you say it needs lots of water because footage Ive seen shows it effective with very little flow and id thought this a strong point!

Stru,

the construction of the Croc means that there has to be a lot of water into the bottom level to make the fluid bed circulate and exchange material ...then enough water over the top level to wash the dirt down into the fluid bed. If not enough water then the fluid bed may not exchange properly.

What doesn't show up in the vids is the fact that you need at least 75mm to 100mm or more water depth to ensure water into the bottom level- the fluid bed...this is the bit you dont see in the vids plus water into the top level.

The dot points below are an extract from the Croc Gold Trap website

• Ensuring good water-flow through you Croc Gold Trap is essential to producing superior yields and successful outcomes. Place your Croc Gold Trap Sluice directly within the flow with the flare (the larger mouth) at the top of the flow (upstream) and the trap (the smaller exit containing the filter) downstream.[/*]
  • Using rocks, you can build a "retaining" wall around the Croc, using the tape to hold the sluice in place. To maintain a consistent flow and enough water throughput across the deck to move your paydirt along the deck and breakdown the fill you need to achieve an angle of approximately 5-10 degrees from flare to trap (from upstream to downstream). Again, using rocks found at your location, you can raise the flare/upstream end of your croc or you may find in shallow steams that need to lower the trap/downstream end of the croc by digging a shallow slope falling away from upstream to downstream [/*]
  • Your Croc Gold Trap has an upper deck surface and a lower water scoop. Achieving a reasonable and workable water flow across the deck will ensure that you will have a good flow through the lower scoop as well. In the case of very fast running streams with small, loose travelling materials, you may find it necessary to occasionally check that the lower scoop flare entrance is clear from larger debris which can reduce flow and pressure through the scoop area.[/*]

To be clear, I am a fan of these sluices...but they need a very good water supply.

They also come in different sizes.

But hey...satisfy yourself. I recommend these units and at $300 ish they are a good unit.
cheers
Mike

tks mike, appreciate your insight. i use the dream mat 8inch sluice and reckon it needs a fair bit of flowfrom the vids i thought the croc gold trap needed less than what i have to set up without classifying. Both real good units i reckon...

Hi Stru,

I also use an 8 inch gold rat river sluice. You are correct..they need a lot of water over the cells to ensure they exchange material. I made a huge input flare for my one to trap more water.

Best sluice I have is a 10 inch McKirk Alaskan...runs on a trickle compared to others . It's light, easy to set up and easy to clean out.

I have never lost a speck of gold out of my McKirk (I set up a pan at the end of the McKrik to test tailings).

cheers
Mike

I tried making my own as a drop-on attachement to my existing sluice. It worked OK, but I struggled to get enough water flow in the creek I was in. I ended up building a rock dam AND gaffa taping a garbage bag to the lower level and extended it out across the dam wall. That ened up being good enough at the time, but it hasn't rained there since so I haven't tried again. I have since modifed the lower level to have a big rubber sock that funnels water into the fluid bed, but I haven't tried it yet due to lack of water.

I think I will end up getting a Croc Gold Trap eventually, for the following reasons:
1. They are considerably lighter than my wood + aluminium construction
2. The agressive funnel shape naturally increases water flow where its needed (at the grizzly's and at the tube openings into the fluid bed).

In the meantime, its fun to create my own and experiment.

Regards,
TheWolf

Latest posts