Cowra goldfields Bredbo

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard there's a bit of gold out that way I've also heard stories of rubies but I imagine they are Garnets I get few from a nearby creek ;)

Cheers C&L

Most of the gold came from Cowra Creek and only a hand full was in the form of nuggets. We've tried the headwaters and there's a lot of junk lying around from the old timers. A lot of old bottles around some of the mud huts so if your into colorful glass it's probably worth a trip. Better gold from around the old Badger fields....but be prepared to wear the old "hiking boots" though. ;)

Cheers Wal.

My dad works for an earthmoving company that has there own quarrys in the bredbo area ,mainly digging out river sand and processing it on site through screen machines,i wouldnt mind going out there and poking around under the screeners to see whats laying around.

Then they wait for the rivers to replenish the sand and they do it all over again

Paul

pauly250 said:
My dad works for an earthmoving company that has there own quarrys in the bredbo area ,mainly digging out river sand and processing it on site through screen machines,i wouldnt mind going out there and poking around under the screeners to see whats laying around.

Then they wait for the rivers to replenish the sand and they do it all over again

Paul

could you talk them into doing an experiment by putting a sluice somewhere inline in their process plant and see if it picks up any gold ?

it wouldnt slow down their plant if its done right . and they might process 60 - 200 tonnes per day of sand

imagine getting half a gram of gold per tonne of sand :eek:

Hi guys
My wife and I would like to see the goldfields at Cowra near Bredbo
Can someone give us some directions please
Cheers
Gary

Bundyjd,
Mate just moved toCooma and would love to get directions to where I can pan/Highbank at Cowra creek bredbo, can you please send me directions?
Can you suggest any other places around Cooma that I could use my Highbanker at.
Thanks,
NJJ

You could try up tumut way
the grapevine is a bit slow down that way however you never know they say there is some up that way
i was born and bread not far from cooma
I will say try near the old meat works not far from nimmitabel ask around the older people should know
from memory it on springfield rd you cant miss it its on the river and the old cooma bombala railway runs right next to it
the rail was used to transport the meat
I have panned every creek and river from bombala to braidwood then to nowra i have found some good colour in some (i will be heading back to them) and nothing in others
If you are driving at night watch the wombats the are built like tanks (i got three well they got me) and lots of roos

Another area is along the delegate river near quidong
Quidong is under a mining lease however there are other areas of the river you can still get to some did give me some good colour
Jump on google earth you will see the roads i am talking about that criss cross the river
Bombala river even thought it looks promising i got nothing from there
Lots of forests down that way i might add to get your permit for them as well
And good hunting its there all you have to do is find it

I had bad luck down Cowra crk way... but it was only a quick trip in :)

Good to go when we haven't had too much rain so you can get across the first watercrossing... apart from that it's a good little drive and really interesting out there.

I'm still not sure where to look around there, lots to learn... But we were doing a bit of prospecting below and old rock crush, so some of the gold still was in quartz

Hey Guys,

I have spent a bit of time out that way as we know the owners of the Old Good Good Station.
Over the years I have done some research on the area and the Main Gold Mine and on some of the other claims around, I Got as far as finding the Parrish Maps on the town/settlement that was South and to the East of the Cowra Creek Mine and also looked and around the area while Camping at Good Good Station. Did a little bit of detecting but not much as there was a tone of old timers trash which is expected (Was only new to detecting then 2011) found a lot of old tins round the south settlement with dates around 1940's which was pretty cool lots of broken bottles also of Asbestos sheeting Pieces. Also near the south settlement we did find the remains of like a old model T ford or a car from the 1930's a old wooden spoke wheel and what looked like a bonnet hood. If you have been out there you will see a few chimneys standing at the cross roads that goes down to one of the dam we have a understanding that there was a Pub there but haven't found anything much. One thing I do knew is that it looked like the settlement could have got bigger i guess if more gold was found at the mine as there looked like there was plans to build a school house and a cemetery but don't think this ever took place as we went looking for the cemetery on Dowling fire trail and we couldn't find anything as it looked like it had never been touched.
One thing I don't have much luck on was finding much if anything on Cowra creek mine itself other than it looked like a mining company had put in a application a few years ago to do some testing out there again? We have been out there bit since then and it doesnt look like there has been anything done out there.

Come the Cooler weather looking at spending some time out there again to do some panning and detecting and see what we find. :)

Hey Muddy, i would be really keen to hear how you go.

I ran my old high banker out there and didn't get that much. but i would be keen to go out with the new one.

The creek crossing is the only thing that gets me, it seems like i only have time when we have had too much rain so i cant get across...

If you can get hold of a copy of Barry McGowan's book called Lost Mines Revisited there is a heap of info in there about the Cowra Creek area and the Cowarra mine.

There was a school house out there and supposedly a cemetery as well, but I haven't ever gone up Dowling to look for that.

There is a pic of the old cricket pitch in this thread, from one of my first ever posts on here:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9184

And a few more scattered through this one:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=13770

Cheers,
John

Hey guys,

I've never seen a high banker used before. River crossing issues I'm guessing you must be coming in from Cappawidgee road I have never been that way in but I have herd it's a better track to Cowra creek than the way we go down Dowling fire trail as that goes straight to the property we stay at. But for something different next time will go that way.
I was starting to mark stuff down on my paper maps where everything was. Where about is the cricket pitch? Really need to go out and have a good look around instead of sitting around the camp fire swillin beer lol like I said I'm hoping this winter to have a good look around.
Thanks for the information bundyjd got some good reading ahead cheers

Capawidgee is a lot easier when the Bredbo crossing isn't up, last time I did Dowling from the Good Good end there were a couple of big bog holes. Dropbear might mean the crossings on Cowra Ck itself just south of the old town site. You'd need to cross the 2nd one to get to the cricket pitch and school etc, it's off Inaloy FT.

I haven't been out there for a while, maybe another trip is in order.

Yeah ok fair enough. I do have a rough idea where the school was might have to dig all my stuff out and have another look. Have you ever tried the crossing at the dam? There are a few big rocks and holes in there lol only done it once. Some of the tracks out there are abit of fun nothing too crazy. Last time we were out there we seen about 30 goats so if you get bord of prospecting lol

There are mud maps in McGowan's book that show where the school was, I can show you those some time.

I've only ever done the crossing below the dam on the bike. We basically rode down an old fisherman's track off the top of Dowling that heads west to near where Cowra Ck meets the Bredbo, then followed an old track that runs parallel to the creek like a rollercoaster of rocky hills and ended up at that crossing.

Latest posts